Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• followup x-ray

Hello Everyone. Happy New Year!!

My 10 year old daughter just had a 4 month followup x-ray on Dec 2005 with the Thoracic at 5 degree and left lumber at 5 degree after being out of the Boston brace from 8 PM to 8 AM. The x-ray was taken at 8:30AM. The initial x-ray in August 2005 was right thoracic 17 degree and left lumber 30 degree.

Has anyone experienced this? What does it mean? Are the x-rays in followup very different each time?

One orthopedic surgeon told us not to get too optimistic and that likelihood of worsening was high. Another orthopedic surgeon (2nd opinion) told us that the initial X rays might be wrong and suggested a trial off brace for 1 week and then x-rays.

Thanks.
    HIMOM

I don't want to disappoint you, but you asked for others' experiences. We mistakenly forgot to remove the brace before the first follow-up when my daughter started wearing her brace 2-3 years ago. She removed it for the x-rays only that time and I think I remember it showing some improvement. She started with about 45 degree curve. I think she may have dropped a few percentage curves, as maybe down to 40 or a little less. The next time we remembered to remove the brace for the full 24 hours recommended and the x-rays showed basically no change, I think. So, we had the hope at that point that the brace might be able to prevent further curvature and we could avoid surgery. In our case, the doctors were not hopeful to begin with because they highly recommended surgery at the time but were willing to see if the brace would possibly prevent the curve from progressing. So, we knew not to expect big decreases in curvature. But, to answer your question, I assume the x-ray results on the first x-ray done right after removing the brace may have been inaccurate. The back quite often loses a little curvature change after removing the brace for some reasonable amount of time. You may or may not have gone long enough without the brace for accurate results. Your doctor should be able to advise you on that. Good luck and thank God she has a curve that is very changeable by bracing! Kris

Comment

follow up xray

I agree with Kris, the short time the brace was off prior to x-ray may have played a role in the improvement. It's also true that docs sometimes give worst case scenario so as not to get our hopes up - so I'm not surprised you heard that there was a high likelihood that the curve would progress. No matter how you look at it, though, an improvement like that is a GOOD thing not a bad thing - just don't put too much stock in it until further xrays are taken. Your daughter's case sounds a bit unique (that's a pretty good improvement regardless of short time out of brace) that perhaps the second doc could possibly be right?? His recommendation to x-ray again after being out of brace for several hours makes sense.

Good luck,

Maria
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thank you Kris and Mariaf for the comments. We will proceed with the brace and hope for the best. Our next appointment is April and will remove the brace for a longer period of time.

Thanks. Happy New Year and Hope everyone will receive good news and good health.

HIMOM

Comment

follow-up x-ray issue

Hi! My son, Alex, is due for his f/u x-ray in early July and when I called the Pediatric Ortho's office and asked his receptionist if he should be out of the brace for 24 hrs. prior to the x-ray she acted like I had three heads & replied, "I've never heard of that making any difference." I'm tempted to take the brace off anyway at least that morning (his x-ray is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.), but don't want to go against "doctor's orders." This is Alex's first f/u after having the brace since December 2005, so I'm not sure what to do.

I was just wondering how your daughter made out in April and if you left her brace off longer this time?

Thanks very much!

Comment

We called our orthopedist but she only recommended taking the brace off the night before for our 2PM appointment. Her x-ray was the same.
            Subsequently the orthopedist stopped her brace for 3 months and we will obtain a followup x-ray.

I do not feel comfortable removing brace for longer than what the doctor prescribed because I do not know enough about the disease and its progression.
            Even with our second opinion from Dr. Newton of UCSD, we followed our primary orthopedists advice. Too many cooks spoil the broth. We felt we had to trust our doctor.

Comment

Working...
            X