Overdid it! Boo the pain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdid it! Boo the pain!

So, I was beside myself with how well this post-surgery thing was going. I have been out to lunch and made a trip to the state office to get a temporary disability parking placard. Well, my mother-in-law, who was staying at our house to provide me with around-the-clock care, left today. Before she left, she suggested we take down the Christmas decorations since it would be hard for me to do myself. I said yes, and then sent several hours removing ornaments from the tree, taking down garland from the fireplace mantle, etc.

BIG MISTAKE. I really overdid myself. I went down to take a nap, and during my log-roll into my pillows really torqued something in my left shoulder. I yelped in excrutiating pain. I felt like I had been stabbed and then somebody was twisting the knife in my shoulder muscles. I have been barely able to move my left arm, and am generally very stiff throughout my shoulders and neck. (Like I worked out too hard, which I did.) So, my husband said I probably tore or pulled a muscle and to just take it easy for the next few days. But, in the back of my head I am worried that I wrecked my hardware or pulled my fusion point out or something.

Needless to say, for the first time since my 12/13 surgery I am frustrated and sore, and in pain, and bummed. And it is my own fault for not taking it easy. GRRRR!!!!
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

A valuable lesson that we all have to learn for ourselves. :-)
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Meg, A few of these kids have over done too and know how you are feeling. Slow down and take care of yourself. Your hubby sounds incredibly concerned, so listen to him and get some rest.

Nikki

Comment

Yep, I almost went to the Er last night I was in so much pain. I finally scrounged up some skelaxin, an old muscle relaxant that I had from well before the surgery. I popped one along with two of my normal pain meds, and then iced my shoulder. It seemed to do the trick. I called my surgeon today and asked if it was ok to take the muscle relaxants and they said it was fine. So, while I mend and take it easy, at least I have something that takes the edge off. The percosets weren't touching the spasm pain. (And I have been taking very few of them, but popped the max dosage when thte spasms came, to no avail.)

The hardest part is taking it easy. I am starting to go stir crazy. I look around the house, and there are so many things I want to do!
        Meg is Spinewhine
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

Lynne L.C.

Meg,
          when will they let you drive-in 2 mos???Is your husband off from work now? I was wondering how long it is before they feel you can be alone/ on your own?? thks, Lynne (soon to go thru this, probably this summer)

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I must admit your blog has been motivating for me to read how mobile you are so soon after your surgery. Mine is scheduled the 19th of January. I'm similiar to yours in degree of curve, also young, just 28 years old and recently married. I must admit, I'm terribly nervous about the procedure and recovery. Did the audio book of Jon Kabat-Zin's
            "Wherever You Go, There You Are." help at all? Any other tips on easing the nerves of major surgery???

Take care of yourself!

C-ton

Comment

Yay! Glad to help, if I can. I'll try to answer my questions, and will be updating my blog with a thorough recap.

First - My mother in law stayed at our home during the surgery and just left a few days ago, so she was around 24/7 for about two weeks. My husband is taking work slow. He is in medical sales, so he works from home, and the hospital where he spends most of his time is just 5 minutes away. So, he isn't gone for long bouts of time, and can return home ASAP if I page him. I have been left home alone for several hours with no problems. I can get out of bed myself and use the restroom and tuck myself back into bed in the middle of the night. I would say that the first week I defintately needed help with nearly EVRYTHING, from getting water, to brushing my teeth, to help getting around the house. But, I dramatically improved on a daily basis as far as the things I can do myself.

As for relaxing tips. I try to concentrate on mindful breathing and stress techniques. The best book I found for learning how to do this is also by Jon Kabat Zin, called "The Full Catastrophe". Also, while in the hospital I listened to my ipod alot. I made a playlist that was soothing. Since it was Christmas time I also had some classical choral music. I found though that it was too much "work" to read. I just didn't have the attention span, and at first it was too difficult to hold a book comfortably.

Hope that helps!
              Meg is Spinewhine

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

Forgot to answer the driving part. THey said as soon as I feel comfortable, and I am off the narcotic pain meds. I feel I will be ready in a few weeks - about 6 weeks post op. Of course, this will be different for everyone, but I feel pretty good. THe hardest thing is getting in and out of the car! That and I live in Michigan so snow removal off the windshields is an issue too. As are messy parking lots where I could slip and fall. I got the disability parking thing so I even if I am not driving, but a passenger it can be hung from the mirror in case I accompany anyone to a mall or movies or something, and the parking lot is really snowy, so I don't have to walk too far in the winter mess.
                Meg is Spinewhine

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

Working...
                X