Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing pain - what works best for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing pain - what works best for you?

I thought I would try to get a thread going that might be beneficial to each of us. Over the years we have all tried differeent strategies to manage the various pains associated with scoliosis. So what what works best for you?

For me it would be swimming. I took swimming lessons 5 years ago to learn the proper way, but I was never able to build up the endurance to swim any period of time. Over the summer my back was so bad I needed to try something different so I went to the pool daily to swim. My endurance increased and now I swim laps 5 times a week. I find the swimming stretches the paraspinal muscles and keeps them from limber and strong. While not a cure it helps me get through the week.

What about you?

Paul,
    I vote with you...I love the pool. I go 3 times a week. Our town has a really great arthritis program, in an indoor pool, that works for my back. I love it
    SandyC

Comment

Swimming!

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!
      Leg extensions & swimming (in that order) have done wonders for me. May not be "normal", but my hips are rotating, and the leg extensions seem to relieve some of the back spasms. After 3 good sets, a nice slow swim, helps the MIND and body.

Comment

I have recently began swimming as well. I really enjoy various water aerobic classes. They are an hour long with both aerobic and deep water workouts. The classes keep me focused and with it being a small group at the gym it has also been a great way to meet new people. I also purchased a spa for outdoors with tons of therapeutic jets and that feels wonderful. Just finished up 8 sessions of rehab so I also do various strengthening exercises and the "ball" seems to really work the best.
        48 year old Female
        3 curves...35, 56, 43
        Proud wearer of Milwaukee Brace in the 70's...and hated every minute of it.

Comment

Hi Tall Paul,

Walking makes me feel good and I enjoy it. When it rains, sleets or snows...a little something out of the pharmaceutical food group usually gets me through. (anti-inflammatory Etodolac or a muscle relaxant Baclofen)

So, Tall Paul...just how tall are you?

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

[QUOTE=Gail]So, Tall Paul...just how tall are you?/QUOTE]

I'm 6' 2.5 inches, but the doctor told me if my spine was straight I would be 6'4". While doc told me swimming is great, I also need weight bearing exersice to maintain bone density...so starting this week I'm walking again.

Comment

Tried swimming today

I geuss I should be "Short Bish" as I am about a foot shorter than you are. I would be 6'2 if not for my scoliosis. Yeah right! I wish. Took your advice and went swimming tonight for the first time in about a decade. I Worked a few muscles I forgot I had, and it reminded me to quit smoking soon! (plus I am aware of how pollitically incorrect that is these days. Haha!)
              Just wondered how bad your back was before you started swimming and how much things improved for you. Did you feel worse to start and had to kinda break through it? What kind of time frame before you got some relief? I feel a little hurtin tonight and I only did six laps taking a couple of breaks! (all breast stroke) I didn't even try the crawl as I did not want the lifegaurd to think I was drowning. I am a wee bit rusty. What is your curve? Do you take any meds?
              What I am kind of interested to know is if you went from the dredges of hell as far as pain (about where I feel lately) into eventually something more manageable. My curve is (or was a year ago) only about 25 degrees, but I am laced with pain every minute of the day. Anyways , all the best Bish.
              Anyone is welcome to respond to this post!

Comment

pain management

Are you SURE your pain is from scoliosis and nothing else--like spinal cysts(syringomelia)? This has to be checked out.

I found nothing like Pilates to strengthen the trunk and improve my stamina before and after my revision. I tried the gym and Nordic TraK; Nordic trak gave me terrible hip pain for months which was totally abolished by Pilates. However, Pilates has to be learned and done correctly.

Karen
                Last edited by Karen Ocker; 12-30-2005, 08:27 AM.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Bish
                  What I am kind of interested to know is if you went from the dredges of hell as far as pain (about where I feel lately) into eventually something more manageable. My curve is (or was a year ago) only about 25 degrees, but I am laced with pain every minute of the day.
                  Hi Bish. For me my 32 degree thoracolumbar curve causes different types of pain. Nerve pain in my left foot from a degerative disc on L5-S1, mechanical pain from the apex of my curve and muscle pain as my paraspinal muscles compensate for a spine not doing its job. Most painful for me was the muscle pain. They eventually rigid were always going into spasm. I was finally fitted with a hard brace, too time off work and began swimming daily. Swimming helps keeps my back muscles loose and provides me with cardio which I will need for surgery which I think is inevitable. I didn't have muscle pain at first because I couldn't swim a full lap with stopping and gasping for breath. I took me a long time to build up the water lungs to swim for an extended period of time. Hopefully swimming will provide you with some relief. Good luck and happy new year.

Comment

Working...
                  X