Jamie is Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie is Home

Quick note. We are home. Did not have access to internet and was so busy even though a long week it went by fast. Jamie was in surgery 6 hours and a few minor complications after surgery. B/P was too low, bad sickness & itching from Morphine, Bad bladder problems, in fact that is one of the big reasons we didn't get to come home until today. Had severe bladder spasms and couldn't go on her own. She was straight cathed first, then foley was put back in and urologist was called in. She was in agony with this. We wanted to shout out today when she was able to go on her own. Developed fluid on lungs from the surgery not from not coughing. This was interstitial not from aspiration. They had doubled fluids because of B/P then they decreased because fluid on lungs and tried not to give her Lasix which worked because they didn't. Then her potassium was low so had to switch to Pot fluid in IV. She was put on O2 until yesterday morning. Yesterday was our big turn around day. Scared us Sun as she had two pints of blood in surgery and her crit dropped to 19 Sun and she had to get two more. She looked awful. I know this is random but I thought of youall everyday. Anyway, we are home, she is doing great and thank you to everyone. Renee, how is Joseph. I will post more later am really tired. THank you to all for the special notes and prayers. Can't wait to hear from everyone. Thanks again for everything and glad to be on the other side.

Laura P.
    Jamie - fused T-2 to L1

Thanks so much for posting and letting us know how Jamie is doing. Sounds like you had quite the ordeal and several scary moments. So glad she is doing better and was able to come home. Please try to rest when she is resting as it is pretty consuming physically and emotionally those first days at home.

My daughter was fused from T2-T12 so it is almost the same as Jamie's. We are a little over 3 weeks post-op now and there really is a big turn around with her recovery. Just hang in there and know that you are now on this side of surgery and recovery will get better each week.

Connie (We were one of the Elizabeth's that had surgery on Nov. 28th.)

Comment

Laura,
      So glad to hear that you are home and Jamie's roughest days are behind you. We too had some rough days in the hospital and the first week at home wasn't easy. After that the turn around is remarkable, although Briann still has days where she is very tired. She had surgery 11/28. We went to the mall for about 1 1/2 hours yesterday. She came home and rested about 5 hours and then we went to see Narnia last night. We are staying in today and letting her rest but she told me she had a blast yesterday.

Praying for a speedy recovery and remember that you, too, need to rest.

Cheryl
      NCM

Comment

Cheers to you and Jaime from the third Elizabeth in the "Elizabeth thread."

I've been thinking of you all week and am SO glad you're home for Christmas. What a gift! Is there a better feeling than walking through the door of your own home with your daughter now on the other side?

Sounds like you had some rough moments in the hospital and am happy that is behind you. I hope you'll see, like we did here in Chicago, that merely by being home, your daughter will start the rebound. I think it's easy to get into that "sickness" mentality just being in the hospital setting.

Take it easy, and know that Jaime has been in our prayers all week. It was strange when we hadn't heard from you, I was slightly worried, and was hoping you couldn't get internet access. One day, I was standing in the shower letting the water beat down on me and I found myself praying: praising God for getting our Lizzie safely out of surgery and asking Him to watch over Jaime from Alabama! Have a peaceful holiday. You got a great gift, as we all did. Love, Ann

Comment

Thank you

Wow youall are so amazing. She is doing so good and watching her face brighten up when her friends come in is incredible. Youall have been such an inspiration that you will never know. We met a sweet family while in the hospital and their daughter had just had her second surgery. She had her first two years ago and we had the same doctor. She was getting around soooo good and the day we were going home they came down and we talked. She didn't have to have a bone graft this time and she told Jamie she was exactly where she was when she had the graft. That was such an encouragement, we exchanged e-mails and we are going to stay in touch. Her name is Kristin and she is working hard to come home for Christmas, we can add her to our prayers.

It is amazing how coming home has helped Jamie. She has been sooo sweet through this whole process and it has been a blessing to be her nurse. Her daddy and I were so sad to see her go through this and she has been an ispiration to us as I am sure your children have to. She said one thing she missed about the hospital was us all being in the same room so we brought her trundle bed in the family room so she can be with us. That was so sweet. Have youall found your children sweet and loving. I am enjoying every minute.

It truly is a great Christmas having us all home and Jamie on the other side. Hope to hear from Renee soon. Will post more later. We are watching a movie together. Love and prayers to you all. I did keep a journal and we took lots of pictures during the whole process. Hope everyone has a great Christmas and restful.

Laura P.

Comment

Laura,

It sounds like you've had the same kind of experience with your Jamie that I've had with my Jamie. My Jamie is 1 year post-op and although I wish I could have taken all the pain away from her, I'm glad we went through this experience. Does that make sense? We were always close, but this journey with her Kyphoscoliosis has been a blessing to our family. Jamie and I are so much closer than we ever were. We haven't had any of those "teenage" mother/daughter issues. She is mature beyond her years. She thinks about others instead of just herself. She and I run a Scoliosis support group together. She goes to our Children's Hospital to visit with others who are facing Scoli. surgery. Jamie is my hero. Although she is possibly facing more surgery, she has never once asked "why me"; never complains about anything even when she missed out on important things because of her recovery. She is awesome and I am proud to say she is my daughter!

The best of holidays to you and yours,
            Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou, your comment that Jaime is "mature beyond her years" really hit home! I guess if there is any silver lining in having significant health problems in childhood, such as scoli or kypho, or both!, bypassing the frivilous, adolescent period into an earlier awareness of the harsh realities and wonderous beauties of life must certainly be one. I know with my son Joe, the empathy I see him experience with others who experience difficulties is developed to a degree you don't always see even in adults. He is able to discuss very difficult topics with his dad and me and even with teachers. He is able to set goals and achieve them and knows full well how to work hard and persist. I do believe these traits are present in most of our kids who have experienced so much and struggled so hard. What marvels they all are!

And I am glad to hear of the positive outcomes for all of them!

Comment

Ditto to Mary Lou & Joe's mom. Jamie and I have always been close and this has even increased. Don't get me wrong she is my daughter & I am the mom but we are real close. I do not try to be her best friends because her daddy and I do set boundries. She has never given us one minute of trouble and neither has her sister, even though she is only 13. This has been the worst year as far as her finding her independence "which I want her to be" but I still hated it. Does that make sense? She has never been hateful just didn't include us in some things. Now she is talking again & telling me everything. She is so sweet that everyone always can't believe when I say she has been acting like a teenager. We are definately blessed and she is such an encourager to all of us. Mary Lou how did you get a support group started? If I hadn't had this forum I would have been so lost. We have learned so much that I would like to help others. I am going to talk with her doctor and offer our e-mail and or phone number to help others. Let me know how youall got it started. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all. God bless each and every one of you all. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.
                Laura P.
                Jamie's mom 17 yrs old/ 1 wk post op of T-2 to L-1 Posterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                X