View Full Version : Just got home from surgery yesterday - here is the scoop!

12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi there - Just wanted to say I AM BACK!!! Keeping it shor bt here are some basics:

I had surgery on Tuesday - titatnium rods inserted, fused T4 to T12. Here's how it went afterward.

Tuesday waking up in hospital: hurt like hell. Nurses asked me to turn on side so they could inspect scar/bandages. Thought they must be joking, but turned over, much agony to be had. Got drugs,went to sleep.

Wednesday: early am took out foley catheter, informed me I would have to get p to use bathroom. THought they must be joking. Started liquid diet. On morphine which made me nauseous, especially when sat up. (Also side effectof anesthesia) Was taught ow to sit up properly. Much agony, much nausea

Thusday, morphine stopped, new drugs started, nasuea dissipating. Sitting easier, now working on standing longer, sitting longer, etc. Still on liquid diet, still no BM. Gas pains horrendous, stomach bloated so I looked 5 months pregnant. Major ouchie, gave me suppostority, majorly humiliating. But worked, and felt MUCH better. I was now able to use walker to get to bathrom, instead of sitting on commode and being wheeled over on top of toilet.

Started Phsical therapy, which was basically using walker, climbing some stairs, manging curbs, etc.

Friday: told me I could go home on weekend, still not feeling like that was good idea, although each day I was significantly bettter than day before, muxh to my surprise. They pushed my limits ach day, and I doubted how I would do, but did what they asked, and I am glad for it. I feel pretty good and move decently. Cutting back on pain meds too. Also, much to my dismay started my period. (Even though I just finished the week before surgery and should have been several weeks off. Was told "that happens")

Saturday: more PT, went for ride inw heelchair through hospital to see chrsitmas decorations, go to gift shop etc. Got stronger, ate solid foods. Felt good. Was starting to laugh and joke more, even though it sor of hurts to have a good belly laugh.

Sunday: got discharged, went home. Car ride SUCKEd, took about an hour. Getting situated at home was diifcult, Had about 8 pillows propped all around me trying find comfortable position. But, once got good position, fell aslepp and had most soild night sleep in weeks.

Forgot - some of my steri-strips fell off last night, that seems soon to me, but I don't know.

Well, I am tired, but will right more later. THis morning it is my first time out of bed, I am sitting at my desk, and this is the first thing I did!

12-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the other side! Kris

12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Congratulations on making it through the surgery and starting your recovery Meg!!! It sounds like you've been busy this past week getting used to your new back. Some of your comments made me laugh...they took me right back to my stay in the hospital...ahh the memories ;)

12-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Good going Meg, keep us posted ;)

12-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Congrats to you!

You are so encouraging to those of us who are still on this side of surgery.
Keep your spirits up and please keep us informed!

12-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Welcome back Meg... You were in my thoughts...

12-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Good Job Meg. You're doing great. Welcome to the other side. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

12-20-2005, 01:27 PM
very happy to hear you did (& are doing well). It's a miacle that the body heals itself so fast! Although, my body is older (46) than yours! I hope if I decide to do this(2 operations-back & front) I do as well as you.... I'm scared to death of the whole thing. thanks for your day by day journal! Lynne

12-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Congratulations, Meg! Hope you continue to make progress and that you have an uneventful recovery.

12-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Bless your heart, meg... You will be in my thoughts and prayers for the next several days as i understand completely what you are going thru... I continued to have trouble with the constipation for a while after i came home.. finally talked to my family doctor about it and was prescribed some daily laxative which has helped tremendously... the softeners and other things didn't help me at all, and the Magnesium Citrate was way too harsh. Don't wait too long to ask for help if it continues to be a problem for you.

Think about this recovery time as a bridge you are crossing.. its not too pleasant right now.. but keep your eyes focused on the other side and you'll be there before you know it!!! Best wishes hon.