Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other types of scoliosis surgery available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other types of scoliosis surgery available?

It's been a while since I researched scoliosis surgery, but I recall talk about coming out with a new type of surgery? Was this something that never happened and the surgery with the rods is the only thing available? Did they recently come out with new types of more flexible rods? Shoot - I really don't remember because this was a few years ago. Anyone know anything about this?
    21 - 27 yrs old: the progression of back pain
    28 yrs old: first x-ray since I was 14 and curve has more than doubled.

Considering surgery based on pain, curve progression, and the dream of having 'normal' hips.

Gypsy...

Flexible rods wouldn't be practical, as the purpose of rods is to hold the spine steady while fusion takes hold. There are some newer techniques including minimally invasive surgery and short bone-on-bone fusions. Both have their champions and their critics. My advice would be to find a surgeon you like, and whom you feel you can trust, and let him/her decide what type of surgery is best for you.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda, that must have been what I read about. Also, I read in another forum about titanium rods...that's relatively new, right? I think I remember hearing about that as a new thing a few years back.
      21 - 27 yrs old: the progression of back pain
      28 yrs old: first x-ray since I was 14 and curve has more than doubled.

Considering surgery based on pain, curve progression, and the dream of having 'normal' hips.

Comment

Hi Gypsy...

I think they started using titanium about 10-15 years ago. Some surgeons prefer it while others don't. It's lighter in weight, and doesn't get in the way if the patient needs an MRI. However, it's also more brittle, so breaks more easily.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Maybe this is what you heard about:

http://www.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/spi...s/dynesys.html

Comment

Hi Tall Paul...

That system is not really for scoliosis, as it looks like it's not contourable.

--Linda

Comment

Working...
            X