Scars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scars

How big are everyone's scars after surgery? Any pictures to share?
    21 - 27 yrs old: the progression of back pain
    28 yrs old: first x-ray since I was 14 and curve has more than doubled.

Considering surgery based on pain, curve progression, and the dream of having 'normal' hips.

Hi Gypsy...

I have a scar down the middle of my back that runs from about the top of my shoulder blades to just below my waist. It's very thin and hardly noticable. I wear tank tops all the time and have never had anyone mention the scar. I also had anterior surgery, so have another more visible scar from my belly on the left to just below my left shoulder blade. It's only visible when I'm naked.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,

Jamie's scar is about 14 inches long. It goes from just below her neck to just above hip level. I'm working on attaching a picture of her scar.

Mary Lou
      Last edited by ; 12-15-2005, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Hi...

I found these pictures of scars on the internet:

Posterior (years after surgery):
        http://www.womenshealth.wisc.edu/pro...nny_story.html

Anterior (shortly after surgery):
        http://www.scoliosislife.net/pics/trscar.jpg

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ooh that's a nice looking posterior scar.....wished mine looked like that (can't have it all...lol)......the problem with mine was that some of it opened a few days post op, and they didn't get to it soon enough so (the top especially) is wide. The scars six years old now. Doesn't bother me too much, it's a 'neat' wide, but still makes it rather noticeable

Edit: Basically the bit that opened the Nurses refused to touch and refused to get the surgeon and all they would do was 'pack it with dressing'........when the surgeon saw it he was furious as his beaut handiwork wasn't quite so beaut. Afterwards the scar had little sun the first few years and was vitamin E creamed regularly etc......

Alison
          Last edited by Alison; 12-16-2005, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Gypsy,
            My 17 yo daugthers scar goes from just below her neckline to just below her hip line. She said she would rather have the scar, her back corrected, and a huge improvement on her pain, than continue living with her back and pain. It doesn't bother her, she wears low cut formals for her proms and homecoming. No one asks about it or teases her about it. If someone should ask she shows them her scar and explains to them why she has it. If you properly take care of your scar, it shouldn't be as bad. She didn't tan or anything for a long time after getting surgery. She is just now tannning again and you can barely notice her scar.
            Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
              Hi...

I found these pictures of scars on the internet:

Posterior (years after surgery):
              http://www.womenshealth.wisc.edu/pro...nny_story.html

Anterior (shortly after surgery):
              http://www.scoliosislife.net/pics/trscar.jpg

Regards,
              Linda
              Thanks for the pics Linda!

Considering surgery based on pain, curve progression, and the dream of having 'normal' hips.

Comment

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3...0/Pic%2073.jpg

That one's mine (about a month after surgery...) It looks MUCH better now.
                27 Years Old
                Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
                Post Surgery: 15 degrees
                www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Monie, your link didn't work for some reason. Hey, did you see my post on your website? That was me from the other day, you are a great writer!!!

Comment

Hey gypsy, I did see your post!! Thanks!! I haven't updated in a while, but I should be getting to it sometime this week... You know, I posted pics of my scar on the blog... I checked, and I posted it on the 23rd of October... Just click the 'October' link on the right of the page... If I can help in anyway, just write me, ok? I'd be glad to! :-)
                    27 Years Old
                    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
                    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
                    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks, Monie! I looked at your website again today and couldn't help but read the post about the walmart guy, what a great feeling that must have been! I'm telling you, your writing really pulls me in and I had to keep reading to see what was going to happen! Your scar is very very thin and since it is in the groove of your back, it doesn't seem bad at all. Your experience and writing really make me feel better - that scoliosis isn't something to be so depressed about and I should just get over it. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Mines is all the way down my back, and at the side (ribcage) and also were my hip bone got taken out for the fusion also. Very neat but still wish I never had them as I have been teased especially at school, and people noticing when I wear certian tops.

Comment

If people are teasing you, that just means they have really low self-esteem and they are trying to put you down to make themselves feel better. People can be so stupid sometimes.

Comment

At 53, i was not brave enough to post actual photos of myself and my scars ... but i drew them out for you as truly as possible... these 10 incisions happened during 3 different surgeries within the same week... the first one on Oct. 7 was the thoracic surgery (5 small incisions on right side), done endoscopically. The second one was 3 days later on the 10th the anterior lumbar (abdomen).... and the third one was 3 more days later on the 13th... and resulted in the longggggggg incision in the back... ( looked like a zipper back there when the metal staples were still in.. lol) the two incisions on the left and the one on the right in the front view drawing was where bone was harvested to do the fusions.... Was a hell of a week.. but much better now...

Comment

Wow JoAnn, you had to have a lot of surgerys in a small amount of time -whew! So you're doing better now then? That's great to hear!

Comment

Working...
                              X