Post op exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post op exercises

On Oct. 30, I had a fusion from T-9 to L-5 to correct scoliosis, stenosis, and spondylolithesis. I felt that I was healing nicely until Jan. 20, when my surgeon's P-A gave me som home exercises to do. These exercises consisted of lying on the floor or bed and bring one knee at a time to my chest. Also, lifting one leg at a time as high as possible without bending my knee. I did them for 5 days, and each day the pain and stiffness got worse. My thoracic region was so stiff, it was difficult to breathe. The stiffness in the lower back affected the way I walked. It has been two weeks since I stopped the exercises. The P-A put me on 10 mg of Valium three times a day, which helped the stiffness, but affects my balance and makes me exremely sleepy. I have talked to other patients, who say the only exercises they's ever been told to do is walking. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It seems I should be getting better. I am really worried I have injured something.
    Thanks. Paulette
    Paulette

Paulette...

I personally think is was irresponsible for the PA to give you exercises without supervising you for several sessions to be sure you were doing them correctly. With almost any leg exercise when you're lying on your back, you're going to use your back muscles to raise your legs. The key is to learn to do this type of exercise without involving the muscles attached to your spine. Would it be possible to work with a physical therapist? Not that it's going to help you now, but if you start up again.

I hope that your pain subsides soon.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Re: Post op exercises

Originally posted by Paulette Little
      On Oct. 30, I had a fusion from T-9 to L-5 to correct scoliosis, stenosis, and spondylolithesis. I felt that I was healing nicely until Jan. 20, when my surgeon's P-A gave me som home exercises to do. These exercises consisted of lying on the floor or bed and bring one knee at a time to my chest. Also, lifting one leg at a time as high as possible without bending my knee. I did them for 5 days, and each day the pain and stiffness got worse. My thoracic region was so stiff, it was difficult to breathe. The stiffness in the lower back affected the way I walked. It has been two weeks since I stopped the exercises. The P-A put me on 10 mg of Valium three times a day, which helped the stiffness, but affects my balance and makes me exremely sleepy. I have talked to other patients, who say the only exercises they's ever been told to do is walking. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It seems I should be getting better. I am really worried I have injured something.
      Thanks. Paulette
      Paulette

Comment

Post op exercises

Lind,
        Thank you for replying to my concern. Will this heal up? Should I continue to walk, or will that only aggravate the situation? Do you think I should seek a different surgeon? Thank, Paulette
        Paulette

Comment

Hi Paulette....

I'm not a medical professional. And, even if I was, I doubt that I'd be able to tell you whether/when your pain was going to go away. A second opinion is certainly an option, but I'm not sure that anyone will be able to tell you anything so soon. Only you can tell if you think the pain is significant enough to seek more help at this point.

Good luck!

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My opinion.....stop talking to the PA and get in touch with your surgeon ask him all the questions, he'll know the answer for sure
            good luck
            CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
            fused T4 -L3
            Hip graft
            Grown 1 1/2 inches
            25/o upper T 15/o
            53/o T 15/o
            37/o L 6/o
            Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
            New York City

August 6, 2004