risk question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• risk question

I am new to this forum but I am finding it very enlightening. I thought for years I was the only one with the sense of isolation and disfigurement from scoliosis. At 53 I am now facing the degenerative issues that plague us post operatively in adulthood. I had two fusions using bone graft in 1964 and 1966 - and almost fully fused 20 vertebrae. The past year I have been having unbearable pain and have been on a journey to physiatrists, physical therapy and orthopaedic surgeons,. I have just learned I have spinal stenosis at L 4 and L 5 - and with almsot two inches of bone mass from my fusions pressing on the nerve from the outside - I am being pinched in two directions. I have to seek another opinon - but so far no one is talking risks, but it seems clear cut to me that there is a risk of paralysis if this continues without surgical intervention - and a risk if there is surgery. Does this sound right., My curve now is 40 lumbar and 45 thoracic. Any advice.

an idea

Don't give up sweetheart. There is always hope. I have an idea that some people (mainly those who have had surgery, scheduled to have surgery, or perform surgery) don't like...check out www.clear-institute.com. It is the foremost non-surgical scoliosis correction center in the world. I go there right now (even though it is in MN and I am in Denver). Doc Woggon helped a 55 y/o woman with your similar curves. Some uneducated people call chiropractic "false hope" but that is what I call surgery. If you choose the RIGHT chiro it can be extremely effective. I come from a family full of back surgeries...and I've learned the only guarantee is another back surgery. Check out that site and read the articles and decide from there. He is a well-published, well-respected doc...but none of that matters unless you feel comfortable with your decision. Just remember it is your body, your decision, and God gave you this challenge to make your stronger. Good luck and I hope you feel better!
    Katie- age 28
    Ironman Triathlete in Training
    Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 Braced '92-'94
    Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
    With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

let me correct myself...

On second thought...I did not read your entire post...
      Post-operatively there is little chiropractic can do...HOWEVER, my Dad has a good surgeon in Buffalo, NY (not far from you in michigan)...let me call him and get his name! My Dad too has had 4 fusions...was diagnosed with scoliosis in the 1970s and there was little else they could do back then. He is 52. I will get his name for you. If you don't hear back from me email me at katie_oconnell77@yahoo.com and remind me. Sorry for the other post...either way you will get better! Hang in there!
      Katie- age 28
      Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
      Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
      With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

Found him!!!

Here is his info. He is one of the few back surgeons I trust. Took great care of my Daddy.

Simmons, Edward H, MD - Simmons Orthopaedic & Spine
        235 North St
        Buffalo, NY 14201-1401 View Map
        (716) 882-0035

It can't hurt to call sweetie. I hope you feel better.
        Katie- age 28

Comment

Curl,
          I'm sorry to hear about your complications you are having now.
          Please explore all your options and get opinions and decide what would be best for you.
          Best of luck.
          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
          Curve post op = 20 degrees
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

a CURE

Finally a cure for Adult Scoliosis the Clear-Institute........

Comment

Working...
            X