TMJ and scoliosis ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMJ and scoliosis ?

Do any of you know if there is a connection between scoliosis and TMJ? After i had my surgery, my jaw/ear/neck area ached so badly... i thought i had an ear infection. After my local dr. checked my ear and throat and temp... she diagnosed it as TMJ ...and it rang a vague bell that i had heard somewhere long ago that there might be a connection with scoliosis... I guess it makes sense that if you are crooked in one place, you might be crooked and disjointed in another...lol..

I have TMJ - and my Dr told me that it is aggravated by stress. (So noe that it is immediately around my surgery time, it is really acting. I also grind my teeth when stressed, a result of my clenched jaw while sleeping. It has lead to sensitive teeth for me, sinus/ear ache issues, and of course the sore neck... Never knew that it could be tied to my scoliosis though, mkes me wonder...
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tmj

If you developed TMJ AFTER your surgery it might be that the anesthesia team needed to open your mouth real wide to put in the anesthesia tube. There's no going around that obstacle. Some people feel that in their jaw for awhile after surgery. No one at fault and not related to scoliosis.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
      X