mobility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobility

I would like to know if after the surgery one could recover his/her back mobility.

well i had my op in aug, and i could walk about 3days after it....i couldnt walk big steps or quickly, and i couldnt climb stairs, but i had a physio and we practised twice a day everyday for the duration of my stay.
    is that helpful?

Comment

Mada...

You should definitely be mobile after surgery unless you have a very unique case.

If you're talking about flexibility, there are many factors involved. In general, if you have a shorter fusion (like 5-6 vertebrae or fewer), and in the thoracic spine (as opposed to the lumbar spine), you will lose almost no flexibility. If you have a longer fusion that extends into the lumbar spine, you'll have some loss of flexibility. I have a very long fusion, and actually expected more loss of flexibility than I actually have.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

They wanted me to walk after a day but I couldn't, waited two days.

As far as flexibility is concerned, I guess it depends how one is flexible before th surgery and what is done physically after. For normal things, flexibility is still there although I don't bend from my waist anymore, it hurts the lower back anyways for anybody with or without a fusion. I also always try to stand or sit straight, or else my fusion "pulls", if I can describe it that way. I was so flexible before the op that I do miss some of the things I used to do, and that my body and back were more "free", sort of speak. But it depend on if a person is fused only in the thoracic region or the lumbar, like me.

Now if we talk about professionnal dancing or driving a low sportscar(for example), wich I loved to do, those are not possible for me anymore, but I know everybody's different and heard that even gymnasts get fusions. I wonder how far can they bend backwards and if they can do their backflips the same,
        Last edited by sweetness514; 12-07-2005, 02:44 PM.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Actually, no one bends at the waist. Ask a normal person to bend over, and you'll see that they bend at the hips.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ok, I had to think about it for a minute and get the image in my head and that is correct

I prefer bending at the knees.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I am having surgery next week of just my thoracic spine. I have been told that I will have no limits as to my mobility or flexibility once I am fully healed. However, immediately after surgery, I have been told to walk as best as I am able. No swimming for 90 days, lifting restrictions, bending restrictions, etc. It will get better as I heal, so I should initially have quite a few restrictions on mobility and flexibiltiy, but as I return to normal - I will essentially return to normal.
              Meg is Spinewhine
              31 years old with thoracic curve
              Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
              Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
              http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X