Surgery anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery anyone?

Hi everyone I'm Jamie. I am a senior and I am 17 years old. I have scoliosis....I wore 4 different back braces that didnt work bc of how bad it was and ended up having 3 surgery's. My first one was in Nov. in the 8th grade when I was 13. I was scared at first....but then i thought hey It will be worth it. I was only in the hospital for 4 days. It went well. My second surgery was my junior year. Dont worry not everyone has 3 surgery's its just that after the first surgery i grew and the two rods were hitting my hips and were causing pain. Then once again it was fine till i got into a car accident my senior year and was hit really bad and ended up needing the 3rd surgery. Yea my point is that yes i have had 3 surgery's and i have learned to accept that and i am here if any one needs someone to talk to.....I would be more then happy to help. Beside to tell you the truth talking about your scoliosis will help you cope with it a lil better....at least for me it did. If you have any ?'s about the surgery b4 or after or any ?'s I do think i can answer them there is one thing i did learn....3 times the charm for me There is one thing i was wondering if anyone who has had surgery can answer.....because of the 3 surgery's i had it left me with a bad scar is there ne thing I can do to reduce it? thanks for listening.
    Jamie

hi im sarah

hi im sarah and im only 12 years old but i am having surgery march 2nd 2004 and since you already had the surgeyr i wanted to know if you could give me some advice. first my degree is a 52 degree angle which is at the top of my left shoulder lifting my right shoulder and making my ribs stick out while making me sit and walk crooked. i heard mine is in agood place. first of all does the medications make it hard for concentrating or walking? and i heard i may be in the hospital for a week and acouoploe weeks at home. do you just stay at home for healing or what. i think so but i am not sure. i am really scared an di dont know if i will be able to do all the things i can do now. or maybe it will increase the rates of being better at things . i will have a bar at the top of my back aabout 9 inches long. does the top part of your back bend? i was asking my mom that and i really hope i will be able to bend. so please let me know anything you know!!!!
    sarah

Comment

Hey Sarah

Hey Sarah. I am going to tell you the complete truth. Yes the medicine they give you ....which usually is morphine does make it hard to concentrate but it’s only while you’re in the hospital afterwards they may give you meds for the pain but nothing bad. The one thing I do suggest is to really rest and let yourself heal before you start up your regular activities. The more rest the better. I was in the hospital for only 3 days after my surgery but I had a really fast recovery they were shocked. They said kids usually stay at the hospital for about 5 days. Not bad just bad food I had 2 rods put in I believe they were a foot long. You can’t feel them so that’s a plus. When I had the rods in I could still bend I was afraid to at first but after a bit I found that I was able to bend but be careful. There is one downfall to having rods.....and if u like sports ur gunna hate this. No gymnastic or and sport where your back would be hit or you have a chance of falling and hitting your back. the walking thing....you pretty much have to learn to walk again after the surgery...I found it fun but a lil painful at first. but when ur on the meds just be careful because some of the meds make u sorta dizzy and u don’t wanna fall (this depends on the meds) after the surgery I stayed home for about 3 months only bc I got a very crowded school and if u get bumped the wrong way it will hurt. Oh and yea it was around Christmas so yea no school just rest. let me know if u have ne more ?'s I am glad to help and hopefully the things I told u above help. you will be fine if u are about to go into surgery it is for the better its either that or stay in pain in the long run it will be good and there is nothing to worry about but if u still need someone to talk to let me know good luck
      Jamie

Comment

scar

Jaime, I had surgery about two year ago, and my main scar is pretty much flesh tone already! I know I only had one surgery, so it probably wasn't that major of a scar, but still. I took Vitamin E which helped a lot. It is also good to rub the Vitamin E oil into the scar itself. I didn't do this, though, cuz it was so sensitive. There are also some over the counter type products that help too like Mederma and stuff. Also, there are silicone strips you can buy that are amazing. They are used extensively in burn centers and things like that where scarring is really bad. You can find these in any drug store. They are kind of expensive, but they do work! Hope this helps! I admire your perseverance through so much! I think that is awesome!

Comment

Working...
        X