Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia Exhibit

Hi...

I read a news item this morning, about an exhibit, BodyWorlds, that has made its way to Philadelphia. It's a display of real human bodies that have been plastified ("plastination replaces the natural fluids of the body with liquid reactive plastics that are hardened and cured with gas, light or heat"). There is a similar exhibit in San Francisco (The Universe Within), and I found it absolutely fascinating. The cool thing about the exhibit in Philadelphia is that they apparently have a body with scoliosis.

I brought a good friend with me to the SF exhibit. He was afraid that he wouldn't be able to look at anything, as he's quite wimpy in terms of even thinking about such things. As it turned out, it didn't bother him at all, and he also found it fascinating. I mention this only because I'm sure some of you will think you wouldn't be able to tolerate the exhibit.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.nj.com/living/times/index...550.xml&coll=5

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

I saw this exhibit when it was in Chicago. It had to be the most fascinating exhibit I've ever seen. Nothing I have read or seen has given me a better perspective on my back...the bones, muscles, discs, etc. Don't miss it if it comes to your town.
    Last edited by Tall Paul; 12-23-2005, 01:10 AM.

Comment

There are two legit body worlds exhibitions going on.. The one in PA, and I'm not sure where the other one is.

Copycats have sprung up and are going around the country.. the one currently in NY is a copycat -- and apprently the bodies were poor Chinese people (I'm pretty sure the creator of this copycat one did the work in China ). These people never gave consent so ethically speaking.. it's just wrong. Please don't support that one.. The real body world has thousands of people on a wait-list to be plastinated after their death all these people gave consent for their bodies to be used.

I saw the creator of the real body world speak at a professional conference and he did all this out of his passion.. unlike the copycats who seems to be after $$$. on a slightly amusing note..the copycat one in NY costs more than the real thing.. hmp!

I can't wait to go see the one in PA... and visit the Mutter Museum while I'm there :-D. If anyone else is going to PA for the exhibit, definatly check out the Mutter Museum -- All kinds of medical stuff.. It's fun
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Hi...

I received my BodyWorlds catalog this morning. It's very cool, and there is a picture of the scoliotic spine. It's a really huge C curve. Because of copyrights, I can't post the picture, but I'd be happy to send a .jpg to anyone who sends an email to me at lindaracine @ earthlink.net (no spaces). There's also a picture of a normal skeleton that has a very slight scoliosis, so left me know if you'd like that image as well.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda,

Is there any way I can get a copy of the BodyWorlds catalog?

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou...

Yup, here you go:

http://www.bodyworldshop.com/product...mid=4&catid=35

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X