Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height

Does anyone know how much shorter having scoliosis makes a person? I have scoliosis and am the shortest of 4 brothers and I've always wondered if this is anything to do with my back. I have a double curvature 60 top, 50 bottom and am waiting to have surgery so I guess I'll be a little taller after. I'm approx 5 ' 10''.

Hi,

I know I've lost a couple inches over the years due to scoli, but it varies with different people. I've heard of people gaining anywhere from 1/2" to 2 inches after surgery. Good luck with your surgery-

Renee

Comment

Hi Jack...

I don't know if it's exact, but I've often heard that one can be measured from fingertip to fingertip, with their arms stretched straight to the sides (like an angel), and that that measurement is normally the same as their height.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

That was something my daughter was just taught in life science, she was telling me that right before Thanksgiving break, that would be interesting to see if there is any difference between the two - I may experiment on my son when he gets home...

Renee
        Last edited by flowerpower; 11-28-2005, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Braydon always gets measured from wingtip to wingtip (outstretched fingertips). The orthos say its a good way to measure what the true height should be, compared to what the actual height is. For Braydon at age 10, he is already 4+ inches compromised in height. This is mostly from having fusion surgery as an infant. Every person is different and for some, this measurement may not be as accurate as others, but its a fun way to see what the comparison is.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I used to be 4 ft 10 1/2 before I had the surgery. Afterwards I am now a towering 5ft YAY! I guess you could say I 'grew' a little bit.
            25 yr old female =^_^=
            Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
            Lumbar curve 23 degrees
            surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
            Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

I've always been told that if you take your height at the age of 2 and double it, that's how tall you will be when fully grown. If that's the case, Jamie is 8 inches shorter than she should be. As for measuring from wingtip to wingtip, I'll have to check that out on Jamie.

Don't be surprised if you don't gain a lot of height after surgery. Jamie was hoping to get 2-3 inches, but only gained about 1/2 in.

Mary Lou

Comment

Just wanted to add that I heard about that fingertip theory before as well... I'm not sure where, but I know I've come across it before... I'm 27, and after my surgery, I gained 2 inches in height... it was pretty cool.. Now, I actually have a torso.

Jack909, with the degree of your curves, I'm almost certain you'll get a little taller after surgery as well...

Monie
                27 Years Old
                Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
                Post Surgery: 15 degrees
                www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

height

At age 60, when my 30/80/40 degree curves were reduced by 50%, I gained 1 1/2 inches.

Karen
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                  X