Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DISCOMFORT, PAIN, and DEPRESSION

To All The Many Wonderful People Who Visit This Fantastic Website:

My name is Irene Wilkey. I live in Southern Illinois. For SIX and 1/2 SOLID years, I have suffered with serious clinical DEPRESSION because of my back situation. Not one day went by that I didn't wish I could "wake up dead". I was on all kinds of pain killers, physical therapy, counseling, anti-depressants, "CELEXA" (a "serotonin enhancer")... etc... and just this past October 19th.... my life changed! ~ I started taking 10 mgs of "LEXAPRO" (another SEROTONIN enhancer) every day, and the happiness I feel makes that "crushing sensation" or that "suit of armor" feeling seem so SMALL! I am so thankful!!! If you feel very sad and just don't feel like dealing with life any more, PLEASE ask your family doctor about "LEXAPRO"! I was originally told that it's the same as CELEXA... but for me... it's NOT! I am a new person! I get up happy!!! I don't lay in bed as much as I used to! I feel WONDERFUL! My four lovely Daughters, My Husband, My Mother-in-law, my eight Grandchildren... all of them are shocked at how different I am! To me it's a MIRACLE! God Bless You All! I just needed to "share"! "HAPPY HOLIDAYS"!!
    ~ Irene ~
    Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Depression - me too.

Hi Irene, I know where you're coming from as I am in the same place. I have been on low dose Effexor XR for the past 4 months due to the constant chronic pain and the depression it causes. When you live with unrelenting pain for years it does affect you, all you can see is the rest of your life being the same and it's nothing to look forward to!
    I thought I was coping then it all got too much and I had a breakdown which was when I started my meds. I noticed a difference almost immediately and have realised that if you need antidepressants it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's the same as someone else taking diabetes meds,your body needs help.
    Hope you find that they continue to help you and get you back to where you can enjoy life and be happy again. We all deserve that!
    Cheers Cathy.

Comment

Awesome!!!

Thank You "Cathydownunder"! You need to change your name to "CathyUp&Over"!!!!! <big smile>!!!!!
      ~ Irene ~
      Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Comment

I was on 10mgs of lexapro a few years ago for depression and now with all the pain and stress i am going through now i have been put back on it. First 10 mgs but since that has not helped, i just had my dosage up-ed to 20mgs...i still have no change and i am wondering if since i have previously taking this pill, if it wont work as well the second time around. It worked wonders the first time...Anyone know?

Abby
        18 year old female
        scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
        corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
        After second surgery, fusion was a success.
        Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
        Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Lexapro

Abby, I'm sure you know that it could take up to 6 weeks for Lexapro to really get into your system before you feel a significant change. How long ago did you start 20 mgs?? ~ If it's been more than six weeks, PLEASE ask your family doctor about other serotonin enhancers! There's a lot of them out there... Celexa is supposed to be pretty fantastic, but it just didn't do the trick for me! Keep trying!
          ~ Irene ~

Comment

Way to go Irene

I agree COMPLETELY with you about not being ashamed about depression, especially after being in so much pain, there is only so much a person can take. And also to all the sufferers, don't give up on trying to find cures and help concerning any type of pain, before or post op. I know some doctors will make us feel like crap and call us "whiners", or we can feel like we're "weak" if we compare ourselves to others who don't have as much pain as us or if it takes them less time to recover. We're all different, with different body structures and there is not one back that is the same, wether one has scoliosis or not, or has been fused. There is no reason to suffer, and when we complain about pain, it's not fun to do so.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

antidepressants/lexapro etc

Pain doctors use these medications even when the person is not clinically depressed because, in some way, they can relieve pain.

Karen
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Lexapro/Antidepressants

Amen to that, Karen! I feel less pain and I have a new abundance of energy! It's WONDERFUL! ~
                ~ Irene ~

Comment

Celexa and Lexapro are the same drug, they both have the same active isomer. Lexapro is newer and contains just the active isomer while Celexa has an active and inactive isomer. -- the reason the dosage mg's for Lexapro is much lower.

So Lexapro tend to be better tolerated and much more 'potent' since the inactive isomers aren't getting in the way of seretonin reuptake inhibition.
                  30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                  2005 - T50, L31
                  bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                  2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                  Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Right On, M&amp;M!

Green M&M! That was excellent! Thanks so much for posting such good information!!
                    ~ Irene ~

Comment

Originally posted by Irene
                      Green M&M! That was excellent! Thanks so much for posting such good information!!
                      No problem :-D I love sharing what I know. I have to read prescribing information sheets for work anyway .. so might as well share ;-) I like reading PI sheets. Pretty sure most people don't like reading them.. hehe.
                      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                      2005 - T50, L31
                      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Side effects

Does Celexa or Lexapro cause sexual side effects like prozac?

Deb

Comment

I only started using the 20mgs. about a week and half or so ago...i do understand that it takes awhile but you just get to the point where you want things to work right away so it gets really frusterating really fast and being 16 and not able to do everything you want only makes it worse. ive been advised to take the TCA or TPA or PAT or some anti depressant like that, but i havent tried it because of all the possibly side effects. Its suppose to help with chronic pain. Anyone else used these before?
                          18 year old female
                          corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
                          Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Side Effects ~

Cakedec/Deb! Lexapro and Celexa did NOT cause any sexual problems for me personally! ~ and besides.... WHO CARES? Isn't HAPPINESS more important than SEX??? < big grin>!!!!!!!

ABBYJO!! Why didn't you start Lexapro at 10 mgs??? 20 is too much in my opinion!! Let me know!!
                            ~ Irene ~

Comment

no...i mean that i only started using the 20mgs about a week before i posted that. I had my dosage uped to 20mgs because it wasn't doing anything for me after about 2 months. I guess im still feeling no change though..but then again i never felt really depressed to begin with...i was just recommended to go on them to help with the pain..which isnt helping at all. Sorry about making that so unclear!

Abbyjo
                              18 year old female

Comment

Working...
                              X