artificial disc replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• artificial disc replacement

Has anyone had a disc replacement done that could share their experience please? I have severe degeneration at L4/5 probably caused by my 30 year (Im 45) S scoliosis.I don't need surgery to correct the curve as it's stayed at 35 degrees but the disc has to be replaced or a fusion done.
    My ortho is recommending the replacement to preserve mobility and I agree but have reservations due to the newness of the procedure.
    I have heard they can dislodge and may only last 15 years with revision surgery being very dangerous. Then again I can't live with this degree of pain and movement limitations indefinitely. Thanks in advance.

Hi Cathy...

I don't think there's been much in the way of testing of putting an artificial disc below a large scoliosis curve. One surgeon I talked to said that she would be very concerned about the uneven weight distribution.

If you do decide to go ahead, you should be sure you understand that there are a lot of unknowns, and that the outcome may not be great. If you're willing to accept that risk, than I say "go for it!" :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X