Home from surgery !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home from surgery !!!!

We came home yesterday after 9 days in hospital. Hannah is finally doing really well just very sore. The first few days were extremely difficult and Hannah overdosed on the morphine which was really frightening. They finally got her pain under control which made everything slightly easier. We had a fantastic surgeon who seems to think he has got her spine almost 100% straight. (It was originally 48 degrees) luckily it is only the thorasic area he has fused which should not effect her mobility. I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their support. Also it was so reassuring to know other people were going through the same as our family. Hannahs room looks great which she was really pleased with. I think this experience has made Hannah grow up very quickly. She said she would never take for granted being able to walk again !!
    Must go she is calling me ! She says she wants a bell !!
    I would like to say however, GOOD LUCK, to all those going through the surgery on 28th and what I think is really important is STAY FOCUSED and try really hard not to get upset when your children go into surgery. Wait until they are asleep and then cry all you like. Dig deep the strength is there I was so surprised my surfaced just when needed.
    Take care
    Elsa xxxx
    UK mum of 2 girls with scoliosis.
    Younger daughter facing surgery 12th November 2005

Glad to hear Hannah's surgery went well and she is doing ok. How scary about the morphine overdose, if you don't mind me asking, how did that happen?? Hope things continue to go good in the recovery process.

Renee

Comment

Congratulations on the good result. Keep focused and positive for the recovery period now.
      Best wishes
      Cheryl

Comment

Elsa, I know I told you on the private message but i'll tell you again. HURRAY FOR HANNAH! Sounds like she's definitely improving and I can't wait until we're a week or so post-op. I also pray for strength. I have been unusually calm today and I hope I stay that way. Thanks for your support and don't forget to rest yourself so you can take care of Hannah.
        Cheryl
        NCM

Comment

Hi Elsa. Thanks so much for updating us on Hannah. I am also curious on how she overdosed on the morphine. Is that a common thing?

I am happy that you guys have this behind you and you can now focus on recovery. Nine days is quite awhile to be in the hospital. Was that because of the problem with the morphine?

Take care of yourself and know you and Hannah are in my thoughts and prayers.

Also - thanks for the advice about staying focused and strong for our daughters. That is my plan and I hope I can maintain my composure at least until they take her back for surgery.

-Connie

Comment

Wow....what relief to see your post that Hannah is home. I've been thinking of you lots....and was slightly unnerved when it seemed like we hadn't heard from you in a long time. (Which gave me the idea for the laptop with the other November 28th moms). I'm so glad the surgery was a success and I think the bell is a good idea!

Good Lord...the morphine mix-up must have been terrifying. That's all they're saying here -- that it's impossible to overdose.

Please know you've been in my prayers here in Chicago. And thanks for the advice. I know we all have to BE STRONG.

Ann

Comment

Don't panic about the overdose. That is very uncommon. Mostly likely from the Morphine pump having the wrong dosage in it or and error on the machine. It is supposed to be programmed to only administer the morphine every so many minutes. If the child pushes the button on the pump numerous times during that time period, it will only administer one dose and won't administer another dose until the time is up. The biggest problem is that the kids are still under so much anesthetic that they have a hard time pushing the button on the pump and you have to keep putting their thumb on the button. Then, they think they are pushing it, when in fact they aren't. The pain management teams are incredible at all of the hospitals with the kids.

Comment

Thats good that she's doing better!! oh my gosh!! an overdose what happend when that happend!! how can you avoid it?

Comment

Elsa,

Congratulations on surviving the surgery, and welcome to this side - I think you will be more comfortable here! I am so thrilled that Hannah did well and I suspect you were the "Super Mom" we have all been!

Happy Healing!

I, too, send my prayers and well wishes to all who are about to go through the surgery!

Lura

Comment

Hannah had an epidural in place and a morphine pump. It seems between the two she absorbed too much morphine into her system. Strangely enough when they removed those 2 things and administered the morphine orally it seemed to sort itself out. It was very strange she lost focus and seemed distant - but still in alot of pain., anyway once the medication was sorted things started to look up and Hannah surfaced!! We are at home now but am a bit nervous of doing too much. Hannah is already feeling slightly bored and fed up with the TV and we are trying to keep her entertained.
                    Will update again soon...
                    Elsa xx
                    UK mum of 2 girls with scoliosis.
                    Younger daughter facing surgery 12th November 2005

Comment

try colouring books, elsa, it helps to keep you occupied while you're sitting up. i don't necessarily mean kiddie ones, you can get books of graphical patterns, they completely saved me from going stark staring bonkers

glad it went well, the anaesthesiology team at stanmore are really good. i wouldn't worry about "doing too much" it's probably physically impossible for her at the moment - if she tries to do something remotely out of her boundaries it will hurt or make her too tired, she just won't do it. i didn't even sneeze for a month, nevermind try to run or anything
                      diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                      braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
                      fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
                      Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
                      scoliosis support forum

Comment

Working...
                      X