Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!

Well, almost 4 months post op, I've finally seen a physical therapist! I'm so excited! I am now doing pilates however where I have to sit on a ball and lift my arms straight up really hurts and is very difficult to do. Is this normal?? how long until I can do it comfortably?? Also, Monday I have an appointment to see about getting a home TENS unit for the spasms that I've had since the surgery. Will electronic stimulation help with pain control? I don't want to be on pain killers anymore. I've been on a variety of them since 2001. I'm sure my stomach is a wreck from all of them by now.
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

I can tell you that all the abdo/lower back exercises that I've tried hurt too much and apart from swimming, walking and stationary biking(wich are very good for the back), I stopped them. I will go see another PT after my revision surgery and try new ones. I don't know about TENS unit as far as pain management. Btw, how's your bursitis?
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I too had a tough time using the excerise ball so my PT told me they have 10 different ways of doing each excerised and acheiving the same result, so he stopped me from using the ball altogether and focused on other types of excerises like using pullies, using weights while lying down (this mimicks crunches and feels great!!! And I hate excerise, but love doing this...you can really feel and see the results!), doing leg presses on a Total Gym unit (the machine where the bench is used at an incline which makes it easy to get on and off and does not put too much pressure on your back like a conventional leg press machine can).

I am now such a fan of my PT and was so happy at the improvements I felt after my 6 weeks of taking it. I slacked off for a while and could really see and feel the difference. I'm now back into the routine at home again and am feeling great once again!

Comment

The bursitis is still there. It aggrivates me, but I try to ignore it unless it flares up. But with all this cold weather up here it's kinda hard. My last appointment I had with my doctor I had asked him if feeling like frankenstein was a normal part of the healing process with all the cold weather, and also if I should feel like I have really bad arthritis. Well, after I had asked him this, he smiled and said, "oh, I forgot about that, but yes, many patients seem to complain during the cold months even years after the surgery." ACK! Well, thank you both for the advice you've given. I thought maybe the pain would be the same as 'feeling the burn'. Guess not. I'll talk to my PT on monday about this. Thank you very very much

~Shelley
        25 yr old female =^_^=
        Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
        Lumbar curve 23 degrees
        surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
        Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Working...
        X