PDA

View Full Version : ciropractic

scoliosiscutie
11-13-2005, 05:54 PM
lucida console pink

I have a 42 degree curve in my spine and in 5 months it increased 9 degrees I have a TLSO brace and they are talking about surgery. My parents are making me go to this ciropractor who thinks he can fix the problem. I don't want to go to him because my orthopedic surgeon said its a waste of time. I was also wondering about the surgery. So if you have any experince I need help on convincing my parents not to send me there anymore. Thanks and if you have any info from the surgery like the pain and stuff please let me know also let me know if can do what you normally do if you didn't have rods in your back :confused:

nikyergen
11-14-2005, 12:54 AM
scoliosiscutie-I agree with your ortho. We wasted precious time trying to believe that the chiro could fix our daughter. All he could do was relieve some pain, but it didn't correct the problem. The best day in her life was to walk into his office and show him what he wasn't able to fix, was finally fixed with surgery. Maybe you could get your mom to get on the forum and ask questions she may have. There are lots of parents and kids that would share with her.

'til later,
Nikki

scoliosiscutie
11-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Thnak you! I'm getting my mom on here right away! Then when she sees how chiropractic is a waste of time she will be like I'm such a dummy why am I sendeing her there? My dad doesn't want me to go because he's been in the forum before. He also wants me to go 3 times a week which is hard between school sports and my social life. Our insurence also only covers 26 visits and that's only 2 months. Now I'll use them all up and then I'll like hurt my neck and I won't be able to go!! So yeah my mom is getting on here! ;)

Atlas01
01-13-2006, 03:54 AM
If you are going to try chiropractic it should be upper cervical precision chiropractic and not regular chiropractic. This is accurate and gentle chiropractic as opposed to random manipulation. Many cases of scoliosis (including idiopathic) have been shown to respond to correction of misalignments of C1 to skull. One technique uses sound waves to move C1 back into place. The position of the skull atop the cervical spine drives the position of the pelvis underneath the skull. Respositioning C1 can result in pelvic realignment. See Kirk Eriksen's book. Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex: A Review of Chiropractic and Medical Literature by Kirk Eriksen; Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2004. [/URL] Especially the before and after x-rays of scoliosis correction. and also check out[URL=http://www.upcspine.com]www.upcspine.com (http://www.lww.com) for further information.

Also refer to: A Look at Chiropractic Spinal Correction by I.N. Toftness, D.C., Ph.C.; Publisher: I.N. Toftness 1977. At www.toftness.org (http://www.toftness.org) and a book by F.H. Barge, Idiopathic Scoliosis, Vol III, 1996.

Orthopedic surgeons who warn you off chiropractic display a lack of knowledge of chiropractic.

nikyergen
01-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Our orthopedic surgeon isn't the one what told to quit Chiro. We quit on our own because we had spent way to much money with no results over a very long period of time. We even got a new Chiro. The new Chiro told us that no, they can't fix it in any way that is permanent, they can only relieve the pain from everything being out. When a patient has scoli, they tend to have problems with keeping other parts in place because their back isn't normal. So, don't ridicule ortho surgeon's. We made our own decisions, based on our results. My daughter was in chronic pain, even going to the chiro every other day for over 1 1/2 years. Since her surgery 10 months ago, she has had very little pain with her back. She hasn't even required any further Chiro manipulations because her body is in alignment now and things stay in place like they are supposed to. She noticed immediate improvement after surgery. For the record, surgery is usually a last result considered by any ortho surgeon, because it is a major surgery. I am not saying that I have no use for Chiro's, as we really like our new one. I just took my middle daughter to him for a sports injury. She was in to see him everyday for two weeks and is doing great. So, I feel they are good to use for the proper things, but scoli isn't one of them.
Nikki

gerbo
01-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Many cases of scoliosis (including idiopathic) have been shown to respond to correction of misalignments of C1 to skull. One technique uses sound waves to move C1 back into place. .

"many cases"?? how many????

"shown"?? shown how?? x-rays? polaroids? (which our chiropracter used.)

"Respond"?? as in permanent correction with longterm follow up??

"sound waves" ?? low frequency?? high frequency?? loud sounds or soft ones?? bach or beatles??

CurvySAT05
01-13-2006, 08:14 PM
there is no documented evidence that chiro has actually helped with the correction of scoli. I went to a chiro before my surgery who believed that he could "fix" my curves and it only made my spine worse. I didnt see him long enough for the curves to progress, only for the pain to increase about 10x's of what it was. After my surgery I have found a new ortho to manipulate my cervical vertebrae (including C1) and to help with low back pain below the fusion. It really helps with any inflammation that I have as well as pain. My chiro now does not claim that he can fix or correct curvature, just help to slow (not stop or prevent further) progression and alleviate pain. It REALLY helps me.
Mandy

Karen Ocker
01-13-2006, 08:27 PM
[. My chiro now does not claim that he can fix or correct curvature, just help to slow (not stop or prevent further) progression and alleviate pain. It REALLY helps me.
Mandy[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely now proof or documented evidence that chiro does even that. By giving a person this false sense of security It CAN hurt by delaying bracing while a curve is still small enough to be effective.

Karen

Atlas01
01-16-2006, 06:01 PM
not ordinary chiro. upper cervical chiro.

Karen Ocker
01-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Atlas01
Try upper cervical chiropractic not regular chiropractic.

Here is an opinion by the Canadian Pediatric Society cautioning about chiro treatment in kids-INCLUDING UPPER CERVICAL-(and adult cases). Do you want this risk of stroke?

http://www.cps.ca/english/statement...%20chiropractic

scoliosiscutie
01-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Thank you so much for replys I've been very busy lately...I think my chiro is a little bit crazy because he thinks that he can cure anything like get kids that have ADD or ADHD off their medicine? I think that is a bit odd. He also gave me these supplements for when I was sick to build my immune system back up! And I also tore my acchilles tendon and he gave me a patch that would make it heal faster? I don't know if it really works but it just sounds a little cheesey to me. My back has also been poping uncontrolably since I've been going to him! Should I be worried or bring this up to him?

Thanks,
Paige :confused:

Atlas01
01-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Its predictable that those who have a bent against chiropractic would bring up the propaganda associated with strokes. Here is chiropractic's response to that http://www.worldchiropracticalliance.org/positions/stroke.htm.

The fact is that many of the papers which state "Chiropractic manipulation" the manipulation was not performed by chiropractors at all.

I think that chiropractic's distractors should clean up their own act http://deathbymodernmedicine.com/ ; http://www.mercola.com/2003/nov/26/death_by_medicine.htm. Mistakes made by modern medicine outweigh those by other professions.

The purpose for me posting information about UPPER CERVICAL CHIROPRACTIC was to raise the very real possibility that this could be an option. Since the 1930s chiropractors (upper cervical) have been reversing some scoliotic curves. The books I listed in my previous postings show the evidence.

I'd loved to see more research and in fact am in the process of raising funding for such research. For me its been proven time and time again. I'm an engineer and scientist and the facts will speak for themselves. As for ADHD/ADD ; read the work by Heiner Biedermann (MD), regarding ADD/ADHD reversal and craniocervical syndrome (upper cervical syndrome).

If the choice is between a sound wave '(instrument delivered) behind the ear or a brace or surgical rods then I'd prefer to look at the conservative approach first. This does not mean delaying having a brace should that be required. Under the management of one's doctor I dare say that upper cervical should be given a go. The sad thing is that most doctors (not all) would not involve a chiropractor. Those that have end up recommending it even though their training says otherwise.

The xrays in the books above are not polaroids. They are high precision laser aligned xrays carried out by fully qualified professionals. The before and afters shots are compelling showing changes (in some cases dramatic) in COBB angle.

To discount this form of chiropractic based upon the hysteria and propaganda around a certain profession if not professional.

ALL options should be thoroughly investigated not only those that suit a certain profession.

If you don;t want to look at it, that's your choice - but dont try to convince me that modern medicine has all the answers, becaus they don't and they don't cure much. $billions spent of disease research over the decades - no cures yet. Time to look elsewhere.

Good luck ......

katblack
01-17-2006, 01:03 AM
I saw a chiro for about a year. he kept assuring me he could help me with my pain levels and actually align me.
It did NOT work. I ended up in twice as much pain and was constantly throwing my back out with days of being adjusted.

Personally, I do not recommend it.

LindaRacine
01-17-2006, 01:11 AM
If you don;t want to look at it, that's your choice - but dont try to convince me that modern medicine has all the answers, becaus they don't and they don't cure much. $billions spent of disease research over the decades - no cures yet. Time to look elsewhere.

At least traditional physicians publish their work in peer reviewed journals. There has never been a single case of structural scoliosis curves reduced to any extent by chiropractic manipulation. If and when there's proof, I'm sure we'll all be more than willing to jump on board.

nikyergen
01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Atlas01,
I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind. I think everyone is just telling you their experience with no success and for you to walk carefully and don't actually depend on this treatment, as it may not work. People on these boards don't want you upset and disappointed if it doesn't work. We aren't against Chiropractors in our house. We use them a lot. When you have a houseful of athletes and want them in top condition all the time, you use them. We recently took our middle daughter to the chiro for two weeks for a neck misalignment. She was injured in a basketball tournament. She has scoli, mild, and doesn't have any issues with it. However, she injured her neck, shoulder muscles, dislocated three ribs and tore the cartlege loose from her ribs in the front. It took him two weeks, everyday, to get her put back into top playing form, where with those injuries if I would of taken her to an MD they would of just given her codiene and sent her home to bed. And, she'd still be in pain today. However, we don't use the chiro for any scoliosis treatment. He was completely honest with us and told us that they can treat the pain by realigning as much as they can, but it would never stay permanently. Our oldest daughter was using a chiro that said he could help her scoliosis and kyphosis. All he did was releaved a little pain and nothing more, she went to him three days a week and he made special appointments for her before and after basketball games. She ended up with surgery last March and will tell you it is the best treatment she has ever had.

Don't get upset when people here give you their opinion, as a lot of us have been there done that and hate to see other people experience what we may have experienced.

Nikki

LindaRacine
01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Nikki...

I'm fairly certain that Atlas IS a chiropractor.

--Linda

scoliosiscutie
01-17-2006, 11:25 PM
yeah im thinking he is too...but as a chiro i was wondering if its good if my back pops all the time? it hurts so thats why im a little worried should i be? :confused:

green m&m
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
lucida console pink

I have a 42 degree curve in my spine and in 5 months it increased 9 degrees I have a TLSO brace and they are talking about surgery. My parents are making me go to this ciropractor who thinks he can fix the problem. I don't want to go to him because my orthopedic surgeon said its a waste of time. I was also wondering about the surgery. So if you have any experince I need help on convincing my parents not to send me there anymore. Thanks and if you have any info from the surgery like the pain and stuff please let me know also let me know if can do what you normally do if you didn't have rods in your back :confused:

I went to one when I was younger.. it did NOT help, and my curve is twice what it was then. ...to discount the whole chiropractors treating scoliosis even further.. my chiro was/is one supposly well known in the field. He created whole bunch of educational materials I've seen in other chiropractor's offices.

If Chiropractors truly could help... it'd be used as a first line of treatment.. no matter how much certain group of people make orthos seem like jerks out for their own gain w/o regards to other forms of medicine, many will refer patients for treaments that will actually help them.. so.. what I'm saying is talk to your parents/ortho about options for the future. Watch your curve carefully and stop wasting your time and money.

katblack
01-18-2006, 09:45 AM
yeah im thinking he is too...but as a chiro i was wondering if its good if my back pops all the time? it hurts so thats why im a little worried should i be? :confused:
I would say no. If it hurts all the time with chiro treatments and "pops", then no. I would say get yourself to an orthopedic right away.

Just my opinion.

scoliosiscutie
01-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks, have any of you experienced that? Also do you think my ortho. will stop treating me? my chiro said that and now im afraid to go back? :confused:

green m&m
01-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks, have any of you experienced that? Also do you think my ortho. will stop treating me? my chiro said that and now im afraid to go back? :confused:

Your chiro is bluffing. You won't know until you go back and there are plenty of doctors to choose from.

katblack
01-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Your chiro sounds like a whack job who's afraid to lose the money he's making off of you if you go to an ortho.

denverbackchic
01-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Scoliosis cutie-
your mom is a wise wise person. You DO NOT want surgery and those saying there is "no documented proof that chiro works" are going to the wrong chiro, they are uneducated, and narrow minded. And they most likely have had the surgery and refuse to admit there are alternatives. Go to www.clear-institute.com read all the articles, success stories, curve reduction and curve correction. CALL THEM!!!

I am 28 and when I was 14 I BEGGED my mother to let me get surgery b/c I thought it was a "quick fix" (we American's want things now don't we!)...there is no quick fix to scoliosis...and surgery will cause you a lifetime of pain, scar tissue, additional surgeries, and will limit you physically!!...(read the post from "curl" in the non-surgical forum- she is in alot of pain at 53 years old after multiple fusions) I could tell you so many horror stories. Listen to your mom. I thank my mom every day of my life for keeping me from the operating room. I am pain free, active, a triathlete, a hiker, a biker, I was a cheerleader in the NFL, I have 2 big dogs that pull me every direction each day...I have lived an above normal pain free wonderful life WITH scoliosis and CHIROPRACTIC IS THE ONLY REASON WHY!!! If it does not work, don't waste your time where you are at...just find another chiro b/c there are ones out there who CAN help scoliosis. The "happiest day" of that persons' life was "walking into her chiro's office and showing him her corrective surgery?" that is the most heinous thing I have ever heard. Trust me...that chiro doc was sad for her...because he or she knows what that person does not...that it is expensive, dangerous and not 100% effective. Trust me...the chiro was not the one humbled by that...he or she just knows that some don't listen. Most curves repaired by surgery are back to their original state in a number of years...but those darn rods are there to stay baby doll. DON'T DO IT!! The average scoliosis curve only improves 50% after surgery and wosens by 3.2 degrees after 1 year, 6.5 degrees after 2 years and another 1 degree per year after that. Just email me and I will mail you studies on this. katie_oconnell77@yahoo.com LISTEN TO YOUR MOM!! SHE IS A WISE LADY!! YOU WILL THANK THE HECK OUT OF HER ONE DAY!!!

katblack
01-19-2006, 10:17 PM
your mom is a wise wise person. You DO NOT want surgery and those saying there is "no documented proof that chiro works" are going to the wrong chiro, they are uneducated, and narrow minded.
I for one would appreciate it if you would stop stating that we are all narrow minded and uneducated.

I would also appreciate it if you would stop telling people that they do not want surgery.
This decision is theirs alone to make with their families and their doctors.

Thank you.

denverbackchic
01-19-2006, 10:55 PM
If you read my posts you would know that I have said a million times that I am "all for anything that works"...I was giving this advice to the girl who started this thread asking if chiro worked. you all told her it does not, so why can't I tell her it does...especially if for me IT HAS!

If you want me to tell people not to have surgery, why would you tell people not to go to a chiro when I have people it has straight up corrected? To make a blanket statement that "chiropractic does not work?"...how is that not narrow-minded?

katblack
01-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Your exact words were you DO NOT want surgery and that she would thank the heck out of her mother later.
That is telling her what to do.

Why not instead of calling people names, post your experience and only your experience.
You have been getting increasingly more rude and pushy in your need to tell people that chiro does work.
If it worked for you, great, happy for you. But stop calling people names, stop telling us we are uneducated, stop telling people what they want to do with their bodies.
Offer your side of your experience and leave it alone.

denverbackchic
01-19-2006, 10:59 PM
By the way, you just posted on the non-surgical thread...did you see where I referred that nice lady to my dad's ortho surgeon? how then am I against surgery? that guy is awesome! I am only against people who say NOT to try anything BUT surgery. It makes no sense not to consider your options.

katblack
01-19-2006, 11:03 PM
I know where I posted. I am reading your posts and responding to them.

I am simply asking you to stop telling people what to do. Post your story, offer up what procedure has been working for you.
This decision is ours alone and we thank you for posting your story and telling us what has worked for you but I find you to be pushy.

denverbackchic
01-19-2006, 11:10 PM
My apologies for sounding pushy katblack. I probably should just breath right now! I know what you are going through and I wish you luck on your upcoming proceedure. I know you will be fine. I only really turned defensive after Karen's posts. SHE is pushy..telling everyone that chiropractic is the enemy...and it brings tears to my eyes b/c it has worked for me!! I am not living a lie! I feel people are accepting of positive surgery success stories on here...but 1 person says they were helped by a chiro and "it just can't be! It has never been documented!" and all I ask is that people explore their options. i sincerely apologize if I came off harsh. I just snapped when i saw a little girl on here who was under chiro care and all these adults telling her to get out. You are right "it is the parents decision"...and her mom's decisions is chiro and we should support that.

katblack
01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
You are right "it is the parents decision"...and her mom's decisions is chiro and we should support that.
I am very supportive of that.

I think people have a hard time with chiro because it is mostly undocumented. And when it is, the results are very minor and it requires years and years of treatments.
No one wants to spend years and money on treatments.
I know when my chiro told me I would have to see him 3x a week for the rest of my life, I died inside.
I came home and bawled my eyes out because there was no end. There was no on this day your pain will go away. On this day, your back will be straight. It was a forever sentence and it was crushing.

If this girls parents want to try chiro first, I am 100% behind them but I also want this girl to be able to say at some point if she feels it's not working, that she wants to try something else, her parents will support her.
After all, it is her back that she has to live with for the rest of her life and potentially wasting years on a treatment that may or may not work, is not truly in the child's best interest.

denverbackchic
01-19-2006, 11:32 PM
oh my gosh my eyes welled when you said that b/c I have been there. wanting someone to say "I have the magic bullet!" I am so sorry you did not have success with that. 3 years is a lifetime when you are in pain..and I cannot blame you. I went to a scoliosis seminar with my significant other who is a chiro. There were other treatment sessions going on, and we attended the scoliosis one b/c of me...of course. well, before the q&a portion many chiros were getting up and leaving and I asked my man "why are they leaving early...don't they want to hear this?" He said "they are leaving baby because this is hard...REALLY hard...and unless they have someone like I have you, it is overwhelming to try to learn it." basically, chiros have SO many things that they CAN fix easily, that why bother with scoliosis. And if you think people on this forum get mad at chiros who say they can fix and can't you should see how mad it makes me! If you can't just say you can't!

Bottom line is in recent years there HAVE been major strides in chiropractic and scoliosis. what used to take years now takes months. and it is mid blowing. I sobbed hours after that seminar...and they were tears of joy that I finally have hope after what I saw. my only goal is to share that. if a chiro tells you three years these days, it is safe to say he or she does not know or study scoliosis, b/c if so they would be up to date on the techniques.

I wish you luck katblack! i will say a prayer for you that your surgery goes well...say a prayer for me that my chiro goes well. I head back to minnesota for treatments next month. I am nervous too. let's both keep the faith :)

nikyergen
01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
denverbackchick,
Success is when you have gone through treatment and 20 years from the completion of treatment you still have the same correction going on without further treatment. I read you other posts too. You have become very pushy and rude and it isn't appreciated here. You will find people won't tolerate you and will jump your skin any chance they get. Tone it down and be reasonable.

scoliosiscutie
01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
I tell my parents everyday that it is a waste of time and money and my mom keeps saying that my back looks good already and it might but now my ribs stick out more... so yea my chiro said that if i keep telling myself that he isnt going to work so i keep telling my self that because this is retarded and i'd rather suffer with scoli insted of this...im coming up to a year if treatment and im tired of it...so i really dont care any more :(

katblack
01-20-2006, 08:50 AM
I tell my parents everyday that it is a waste of time and money and my mom keeps saying that my back looks good already and it might but now my ribs stick out more... so yea my chiro said that if i keep telling myself that he isnt going to work so i keep telling my self that because this is retarded and i'd rather suffer with scoli insted of this...im coming up to a year if treatment and im tired of it...so i really dont care any more :(
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. :(
I wish and hope that your parents will listen to you. I wish I knew what to do to help you, Maybe you could show your parents this board, then they would see how you feel. I'm sure they "hear" you when you say it, but to be so strong in your convictions and feelings, that you would come to a place like this and ask for help, maybe they would "see" how strongly you feel about this.
Best of luck hun, don't give up.

denverbackchic
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
nikyergen- you don't think it is pushy when my first post on here was nothing but positive and kind and Karen jumped on me and said "I was giving false hope to the desperate"...I got offended...and obviously you did not read my apology to katblack saying I am sorry if I come across as rude, because I am not. The pushy thing I find on this site is adults telling children to go against their parents best intentions and push for surgery. I am not anti-surgery, I am anti-making a surgery decision for a little girl stranger on a website when you have no idea what her situation is. Surgery is an irreversible decision that should be with her parents and you as an adult should respect that. what if you had a teen who was considering a serious treatment like that, and a stranger was crushing your advice? that isn't fair, and it isn't moral. I am not being rude by saying that. I think every parent can respect that.

LindaRacine
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
The average scoliosis curve only improves 50% after surgery and wosens by 3.2 degrees after 1 year, 6.5 degrees after 2 years and another 1 degree per year after that. Just email me and I will mail you studies on this. katie_oconnell77@yahoo.com LISTEN TO YOUR MOM!! SHE IS A WISE LADY!! YOU WILL THANK THE HECK OUT OF HER ONE DAY!!!

Not sure where you got those numbers, but if they were published, they were probably from old technology. With newer technology, curves are usually improved almost completely, and there is no loss of correction.

nikyergen
01-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Linda, I think this is another one of those that won't back off. Good Luck, I'm glad you and Karen are on this one, since you are the two with the medical educations. This woman isn't realizing that most people that have surgery here are doing it as a last result. She isn't hearing that some of us did try different chiro techniques before resulting to surgery. And, I agree with your comment. I think her information is old information. As I know Crystal got way over 50% correction on her 88 degree curve. What I haven't figured out is how can she say it worses after time when there are rods in place to hold the fusion. Please enlighten me Linda.

scoliosiscutie
01-20-2006, 05:02 PM
thanks for your advice i feel really bad because it is all my fault that she thinks that of you...im really sorry :(

scoliosiscutie
01-20-2006, 05:13 PM
oh and i had another question... how come after you have back surgery (or any surgery i really dont know?) its not good to get dental work like getting teeth pulled or getting your ears periced? thanks
?

CurvySAT05
01-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Not good to get your ears pierced? I have never heard that one. I got mine pierced 4 weeks after my surgery (1 week ago). I hope I didnt do something bad...can anyone give some info???
Mandy

LindaRacine
01-21-2006, 02:19 AM
I'm glad you and Karen are on this one, since you are the two with the medical educations.

I do not have a medical education.

What I haven't figured out is how can she say it worses after time when there are rods in place to hold the fusion.

I don't know what study was being referred to about loss of correction, but I'm guessing that it was some small study published a long time ago, maybe even a study of people who had scoliosis fusions prior to the invention of Harrington rods. With current implants, I think that loss of correction at the first checkup after surgery is sometimes mentioned, but it's usually in the 2-5 degree range, which is nothing to worry about.

--Linda

LindaRacine
01-21-2006, 02:20 AM
oh and i had another question... how come after you have back surgery (or any surgery i really dont know?) its not good to get dental work like getting teeth pulled or getting your ears periced? thanks
?

I think it's because the surgeons don't want their patients to take any increased risk of infection.

--Linda

scoliosiscutie
01-24-2006, 02:47 PM
As you all know ive been seing a chiro...well my back is very tender like on my spine...it has a bruse on it (near the top) is that bad?
my spine is really noticalble too and you can see it and all the vertabre when i bend down and stuff is that a bad thing? :(

nikyergen
01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Scolioisiscutie,
You shouldn't be bruised from a chiropractic manipulation. Have you showed the bruising to your mom? You shouldn't be getting sore from a chiropractic manipulation, you should be feeling some relief if the manipulation is helping. It sounds like your pain is increasing. You need to be honest and tell your mom about these things. At least when we took Crystal to the chiropractor, he didn't solve her problem, but it did help to releave pain a little. When it got to where it wasn't helping her pain at all, we quit taking her.

scoliosiscutie
01-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah I showed my mom and dad i think they are letting me quit but im not for sure yet but yeah my mom said i have gotten worse...was your daughters spine very noticeable? mine is it looks bad!
Paige

nikyergen
01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Paige,
Crystal's back was bad enough that she got teased something terrible in school. She used to come home everyday in tears because the kids teased her, even as a freshman in high school. She even contemplated suicide at one time. She ended up having a drug problem over it. She used the drugs to crawl into a hole to get away from her problem. She knew what she was doing was wrong, but was looking for relief from the physical and mental pain. She has since straightened her life around and become a wonderful and beautiful young lady. Surgery has made all the difference in her life. She is now very confident in herself and is not afraid to get up in front of people and talk publicly. She has climbed to the top of the ladder in several of her youth associations that she belongs to, where before, she would of never even tried to go to the top. So, in our household, surgery was a big plus and we are so thankful for it. We have our beautiful wonderful daughter back, full of confidence.

Now, I have a child that is full of confidence and understands how easily drugs can take over your life. She is very active in encouraging others not to use drugs and can say "I've been there and done that and it got me nowhere."

Nikki

scoliosiscutie
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
nikyergen-
That is an insperation to me! i dont feel so bad anymore its great to hear she has got her life straitned out. My friends are very supportive of me with scoli. They get mad when i dont wear my brace. They tease me some times but i know that they are just kidding. And guess what!?? my chiro said that my scoli is getting worse and he can not fix it he will only practice on me for pain releif! this is so great well not that its getting worse but that he actually admitted that he can not help! I guess there is a light at the end of the tunnel and they thank you for helping me stay in there for that long time!!
Paige

nikyergen
01-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Paige,
I am so glad your chiropractor was good enough to say that he couldn't make things better, that he could only help to releave some pain. That takes quite a chiropractor to do that. Keep us posted on how you are doing and what the ortho's next plan of action is.

You keep hanging in there. There is always hope. Sometimes you just have to have some faith.

Nikki

scoliosiscutie
01-24-2006, 11:02 PM
I will dont worry!! im very happy about this although my parents aren't. Im kind of scared about surgery but i guess it is the best thing! my ortho doesnt want to see me intill march but i might have to go in before then! Me and my mom have noticed my shoulder blade sticks out...and i walked different but we never really peiced it together. I will keep you posted and do you have any tips about pre-paring for surgery mentally and how you and Crystal made waiting for the surgery less stressful keeping your nervs down? thanks a bunch!!
Paige

nikyergen
01-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Paige,
How did Crystal and I get through the waiting game for surgery. I'll tell you it wasn't easy. And my blessed husband and other children paid dearly for my moodiness. I have apologized over and over, but they all understand, as they were worried and scared too.

One of our advantages was that we went from our Ortho appointment the end of October right into basketball season. Basketball season ended the end of February and I had two weeks to get arrangements made for someone to come in and feed our cows for two weeks, finish lambing out our ewes, take care of dogs, cats, and miscellaneous purebred show rabbits. I had the opportunity to be at almost all of my girls games and enjoyed everyone, as I knew there was the possibility that Crystal wouldn't play competitive ball after surgery. But, don't let that bother you. It was her choice not the surgeons. She is busy with school, a job, and of course her very nice boyfriend. Even dad likes this young man. She's college bound and really understands the importance of good grades in high school.

One way to prepare yourself is to be in the best physical condition you possibly can be. You won't believe how this will help your recovery. I have a houseful of athletes and they all realize the importance of physical condition. Get yourself mentally prepared by asking your doctor all the questions you can think of. Start making a list, with your mom and dad, now. Find out what kind of surgery you will be having, how long it will take, how long you are expected to be in the hospital. The list goes on. Don't try to take school work with you to the hospital. It is a waste of time. You won't feel good enough to do any.

Tell your folks, my husband and I weren't happy about our daughters surgery either. But, today, I can tell them it is the very best thing she has ever had done. It completely turned her life around. You can share my story with them. We are not ashamed of it. We are actually proud of the fact that she realized she had a drug problem and was able to do something about it. Because of her drug problem, she was off all prescription pain meds at the end of her second week after surgery. She didn't want to fall into the trap of relying on them again. Tell your folks, I wish we were close enough to sit across the table and share our experience with them. We tried the chiro thing, and like you, it didn't work. I cried when the ortho said surgery. My husband crawled into his own silence about it. We never even talked about it. But, that was okay. The only thing I ever asked of my husband was to talk to Crystal about it, and let her know that she was doing what was right for her. It was her choice and we would live by it.

Check with your folks and see if it is okay if I give you my e-mail. If it is okay, private message me, and I will send it to you. But, I will only do that if it is okay with your folks. I also want you to share everything I tell you with them. No secrets from them, it isn't good when you are looking at a major surgery. Okay.

I thinking more thoughts, but have to get them organized before I write more, which I will later.

'til later,
Nikki

scoliosiscutie
01-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Nikki,
I will start making a list that is kind of what I did when I had my foot surgery after breaking it for 10 months. Me and my friends were all talking and they have said your an athlete your used to surgery. But isnt this a much bigger surgery? after the surgery was Crystal in much pain? i guess that is the biggest fear I have. At the hospital that you and your family went to did they allow Crystal's friends to see her? I am going to have a sit down to night with my parents and I will let you know how it goes
Paige

nikyergen
01-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Paige,
I got your PM. I won't have time to write you until tomorrow morning. I hope that is okay. I am in the process of making 30 yards of bias tape for a ball gown for my middle daughter. It's one of the Scarlet O'Hara type gowns. Very pretty. THen I have a meeting this evening and won't be home until very late. So, I will sit and write to you tomorrow morning and you'll see it sometime tomorrow.
Nikki

green m&m
01-27-2006, 01:43 AM
?

Any type of surgery can put your body at higher risk for pickup infections and such. It is a 'shock' to your body so your immune system can be a bit out of sync. So surgeons just want to be cautious and let your boody heal without having exposure to bacteria/viruses during the healing process. It definatly would not be pleasent if you recently had surgery and got ..lets say a cold. A coughing fit might make your incision site sore :-(

Usually, if you HAVE to get dental work soon after surgery they'll have you take a course of antibiotic as a preventive meausure.

So this isn't for forever, just while you are healing.

scoliosiscutie
01-27-2006, 08:33 AM
ooo ok well ive seen that on the site before and i was just wondering why that was. well it makes sense now thanks

Karen Ocker
01-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Usually, if you HAVE to get dental work soon after surgery they'll have you take a course of antibiotic as a preventive meausure.

So this isn't for forever, just while you are healing.

It is 3 years and 3 months since surgery and my spine surgeon INSISTS I take antibiotics: before the dentist(always), whenever a skin procedure draws blood such as biopsies, piercings and of course all other surgical operations.

Why??? Because whenever the skin is broken, in the previous examples, bacteria can enter the blood and lodge in the hardware; the hardware has no germ-resisting defenses like the body's other tissues. This is the current thinking; maybe it will change in the future.

Karen

scoliosiscutie
01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
wow! does that happen to everyone like if I had surgery then like months after i had to get my wisdom teeth out? it all does make sense thanks!

LindaRacine
01-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Taking antibiotics prophylacticly for dental procedures is actually controversial. There are plenty of studies that support both views. I've been told by a surgeon that he tells people to take the antibiotics if they question him about it (to cover his butt), but he doesn't actually recommend it to people unless they bring it up.

--Linda

green m&m
01-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Taking antibiotics prophylacticly for dental procedures is actually controversial. There are plenty of studies that support both views. I've been told by a surgeon that he tells people to take the antibiotics if they question him about it (to cover his butt), but he doesn't actually recommend it to people unless they bring it up.

--Linda

I've read the same thing for people with heart valve problems. Apparently only a few out of millions of people with heart murmur end up with endocarditis from dental work.. But.. in this day and age of high malpractice premiums everyone is covering themselves...

Meyer
02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
I had surgery in 1982 at the age of 11. I started going to the chiropractor several years after the surgery. It helps a lot. I never went to the chiropractor before the surgery.

My curves before the surgery were 37 degrees and 55 degrees. Today, 24 years later, my curves are 32 degrees and 37 degrees. The same as they were when I left the operating room that evening. The curves do not gradually get worse even after surgery.

I have to be premedicated for dental appointments because of the Herrington Rod. My son has to be premedicated for dentist appointments because of a heart murmur. I think it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to being premedicated.

M&M :)

scoliosiscutie
02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
hello!! yeah i really want surgery i think my back is getting worse but i dont know because now i can see my body curve? but yea never noticed that before. i havent been wearing my brace because i hate it but i foung out one of my best friends has scoli too!!!! she has to get a boston brace!!!! we have similar degrees and double scoli!!! does any one no the difference between a TLSO and a boston? thanks paige

LindaRacine
02-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Paige...

A Boston brace is a type (the most common type) of TLSO. (It's like the difference between a Kleenix and a tissue.)

Regards,
Linda

scoliosiscutie
02-15-2006, 06:44 PM
ooooo ok thanks well i dont know if mine is a boston they really didnt say all they said was TLSO! so thanks. im going to check out what mine is? it is just platered white and the velcrow is in the front? my other friend had kyposis and she got her brace off today!!!

LindaRacine
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi...

You can see pictures of the brace here:

http://www.bostonbrace.com/

--Linda

scoliosiscutie
02-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Thank you sooooooo MUCH!!!! :)

scoliosiscutie
02-20-2006, 02:55 PM
wow. Thanks for your info. I don't know if my scoli has gotten worse. My chiro said that he thought it was but I can see my body acctually curve and that was the 1st time I had noticed it? My chiro is kinda weird. He thinks that he can help anything. He even thinks that he can get people off ADHD medicine? So I'm kinda like I don't believe him so yea. Do you have any other sugjestions?

LindaRacine
02-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I know there are success stories prompting others how wonderful it is to have gotten surgery...think about all the people who had surgery and are not speaking out..they outnumber greatly the ones who are happy with the outcome...

Don't know where you got your information, but it's absolutely incorrect. You can find links to scoliosis surgery outcome abstracts here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/SurgeryResearch.htm

These studies show that at long term follow-up, the vast majority of patients are happy with their surgical outcome. If you can find a study that has a significant number of patients, and shows that the the people with bad outcomes outnumber those with good outcomes, I'm anxious to hear about it.

I never encourage people to have surgery unless they feel they truly need it, but statements like the above are meant as scare tactics, and should not be tolerated in public forums.

--Linda

Karen Ocker
02-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by sportsdoc:
Having said that, there are specific technics geared towards spinal curvature correction and one should find a chiropractor doing these specific techniques... Pettibon and CBP...these techniques incorporate stertching, spinal manipulation and exercises...

I haven't seen a single published study with permanent long term results with Pettibon in large groups of patients. In case I missed it, if their techniques or so revolutionary, why haven't other practitioners replicated the studies around the world demonstrating similar results--like the rest of the scientific community?

BTW, there are specific cases where curvatures were corrected...but in all cases, patients are told that the major goal is to arrest the curvature...attempts at correcting the curvature could be made but cannot be guaranteed...sometimes, these corrections are temporary and some are permanent..there's just no way to predict the outcome...I'd avoid anyone who's too optimistic..

We all here know the dangers/risks of surgery. What you have just described sounds like an expensive exercise in futility.

with curves 30-50 degrees...10 degrees is about the best one could hope for if at possible...we'll be just happy with avoiding the surgery though..with less than 20 degrees..i've seen cases where it's gone down below 10 or even near straight....the outcome is dependent on patients' age and degree of progression...

This sounds awfully ambiguous.

As far as surgical options go.. if organ functions are being effected, i'd think it's a must..however, for merely cosmetic reason, one really needs to think about consequences...first...the correction gained by surgery isn't permanent either...in many cases, curves can still progress...

With the old form of surgery 40+years ago without hardware(Like in my case) that indeed did happen--but with the curve I had in 1956 I would not have reached a healthy adulthood without that procedure. However, with the new er hardware and techniques minimal settling occurs. I had a 50% correction 3 years ago at age 60(40 degree improvement). At my recent check-up I lost NO correction. We've heard this scare tactic before.

and second, when you do a fusion on spine...there are some issues that we see from disc herniation patients...often, scars tissues creat problems all on it's own...then there's the instability created on other neighboring segments due to loss of motion on fused segment...the likelyhood of need another surgery due to original fusion increases 12%/yr if I remember correctly and in a lot of cases patients have another surgery 5-6 years out...then another one, then another and so on...you can't expect to live your life doing a surgery all your life...for this reason, age of patient is a big consideration for fusion these days...

We all understand how the un-fused segments get more wear and tear; My original surgery lasted me 40+ years and I really had no pain until a couple of years before my revision.

I know coming from a person who's not afflicted with the condition saying this could sound harsh..but if the teen is having trouble coping with the curvatures, it's really a lifestyle issue..proper councelling should be sought rather than opting for surgery...of course surgery could arise as an option through councelling...

I hate to sound harsh myself. This is pure nonsense. No parent in their right mind rushes a child into surgery. Mild curves don't even show.

I know there are success stories prompting others how wonderful it is to have gotten surgery...think about all the people who had surgery and are not speaking out..they outnumber greatly the ones who are happy with the outcome...one should exhaust all conservative options before considering surgery unless it becomes major health issue...

Why wait for it to become a major health issue?-- and then go into surgery deconditioned and more deformed. It's like waiting for an early cancer to become "a major" health issue" before opting for surgery.

Yes, surgery IS drastic; we all now that but it is the only thing we have-- besides early bracing in adolescents- that arrests/corrects curves with any degree of permanence.

Your whole post smacks of scare tactics and fear mongering --with no constructive alternative offered.

gerbo
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
sometimes a bit of courtesy towards "guests" rather than going for the jugular straight away, wouldn't be a bad thing.

One can be "critical" without being aggressive, I would have thought

LindaRacine
02-20-2006, 06:41 PM
if someone came to me with a study that shows majority of scoliosis surgical candidate with your kind of sucess, now that would be impressive and I will not have an y reserver in referring my future patients to surgeons...

Here are just a few such studies:

Spine. 2003 Sep 15;28(18):E373-83. Related Articles, Links

Back pain and function 23 years after fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a case-control study-part II.

Danielsson AJ, Nachemson AL.

Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg University, Sweden. danielsson.aina@telia.com

STUDY DESIGN: A consecutive series of patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, treated between 1968 and 1977 before age 21 years with distraction and fusion using Harrington rods (surgically treated: n = 156; 145 females and 11 males) were followed-up at least 20 years after completion of the treatment. OBJECTIVES: To determine the long-term outcome in terms of back pain and function in patients surgically treated for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Few reports on long-term outcome of back pain and function have previously been presented for this group of patients. Results presented are not conclusive regarding effects on back pain and its correlation to a fusion extending into the lower lumbar spine. MATERIALS AND METHODS: One hundred forty-two (91%) of the patients were reexamined as part of an unbiased personal follow-up. This included a clinical examination and evaluation of curve size (Cobb method) and degenerative findings in full standing frontal and lateral radiographs. Validated questionnaires in terms of general and disease-specific quality of life aspects as well as present back and pain symptoms were used. One hundred thirty-nine had complete follow-up. An age- and sex-matched control group of 100 individuals was randomly selected and subjected to the same examinations. RESULTS: The deterioration of the curves was 3.5 degrees for all curves and eight (5.1%) of the patients treated with fusion had undergone some additional curve-related surgical procedure. The patients had significantly more degenerative disc changes than the controls. Lumbar pain, although mild (2.4 on visual analogue scale), was significantly more frequent among the patients than the controls (65 vs. 47%, P = 0.0079). Only 25% of the patients admitted daily pain, and analgesics were sparsely used. No major differences of back function and general health-related quality of life were noted between the patients or the controls. Except for having been on sick-leave ever because of the back (45% vs. 19%, P = 0.0040) no differences could be seen in sociodemographic variables between the groups. Furthermore, no differences could be found between patients fused to L3 or higher (n = 102) versus L4 or lower (n = 37). No correlation could be found between pain and its localization and various variables on the scoliotic curve, body mass index, or smoking. Persisting discomfort and/or sensory loss were noted significantly more often among the patients who had the autologous bone harvesting performed through a separate incision over the iliac crest (24.3%) than among those in whom this was performed through an elongated midline incision (4.6%, P = 0.0015). CONCLUSIONS: Minimal pain and no dysfunction occurred (mean) 23 years after fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis compared with normal straight controls. Significantly more pain in the scar region occurred when bone graft from an incision over the posterior iliac crest was used for harvesting bone to the fusion compared with an incision performed as an elongation of the midline incision used for the scoliosis surgery.

Spine. 2003 Jun 1;28(11):1163-9; discussion 1169-70. Related Articles, Links

Functional and radiographic outcomes after surgery for adult scoliosis using third-generation instrumentation techniques.

Ali RM, Boachie-Adjei O, Rawlins BA.

Hospital for Special Surgery; New York, New York 10021, USA.

STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective radiograph and chart review of 28 patients with adult idiopathic scoliosis undergoing primary corrective surgery. Clinical and radiographic parameters were assessed before surgery, after surgery, and at a 2-year follow-up assessment. A self-perceived outcome questionnaire was administered to the study patients at a minimum 2-year follow-up assessment. OBJECTIVE: To assess patient outcomes after surgery for adult scoliosis using traditional radiographic parameters along with a self-perceived outcomes questionnaire. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: The clinical and radiographic results and the outcomes for the surgical treatment of adult idiopathic scoliosis have not been established in the literature with respect to the use of modern third-generation instrumentation techniques. Most studies reviewing the surgical treatment of adult idiopathic scoliosis look primarily at Harrington instrumentation techniques. METHODS: Records and radiographs were reviewed retrospectively for all the patients (n = 54) undergoing primary corrective surgery for adult idiopathic scoliosis between December 30, 1994 and December 30, 1997. Of the 54 patients reviewed, 28 (52%) met the following inclusion criteria: age exceeding 20 years, primary surgery, fusion above the sacrum, availability of medical records along with preoperative, postoperative, and 2-year follow-up radiographs. Additionally, a self-perceived outcomes questionnaire was administered to these patients at a minimum 2-year follow-up assessment. RESULTS: All the patients were women (28/28). The indications for surgery were pain and progression in 54% (15/28) and pain in 29% (8/28) of the patients. The average preoperative major curve measurement was 65 degrees (range, 38-98 degrees ). The average postoperative major curve measurement was 24 degrees (range, 5-59 degrees ), for a correction of 64%. The average follow-up curve measurement was 27 degrees (range, 3-60 degrees ), for a correction of 61%. Whereas 71% of the cases were anteroposterior, 29% were posterior only. There was one intraoperative complication among the 28 patients and four postoperative complications in 3 of the 28 patients. The self-perceived outcome questionnaires were available for 83% (23/28) of the patients. Definite or probable relief of symptoms was reported in 74%(17/23). Improved ability to sleep was reported in 61% (14/23), and ability to return to their usual job was reported in 57% (13/23). Satisfaction with the results of surgery was reported in 87% (20/23). CONCLUSIONS: Surgery for adult idiopathic scoliosis using third-generation instrumentation techniques provides significant clinical improvement, scoliosis correction, maintenance of sagittal alignment, and patient satisfaction, with an acceptable complication rate.

Spine. 2002 Sep 15;27(18):2046-51. Related Articles, Links

A multicenter study of the outcomes of the surgical treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis using the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) outcome instrument.

Merola AA, Haher TR, Brkaric M, Panagopoulos G, Mathur S, Kohani O, Lowe TG, Lenke LG, Wenger DR, Newton PO, Clements DH 3rd, Betz RR.

Department of Orthopedic Surgery, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA. Andrew.Merola@att.net

STUDY DESIGN: A multicenter study of the outcomes of the surgical treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis using the Scoliosis Research Society Questionnaire (SRS 24). OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the patient based outcome of the surgical treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: A paucity of information exists with respect to patient measures of outcome regarding the surgical treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. To our knowledge, no prospective outcome study on this topic thus far exists. METHODS: Using the SRS 24 questionnaire, seven scoliosis centers agreed to prospectively assess outcome for surgically treated patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Data were collected before surgery and at 24 months after surgery. Data were analyzed using paired and independent samples t test for all seven SRS 24 questionnaire domains (Pain, General Self-Image, Postoperative Self-Image, Postoperative Function, Function From Back Condition, General Level of Activity, and Satisfaction) using Statistical Package for Social Science. The domains were analyzed with respect to the total cohort, gender, curve magnitude, and type of surgery using independent-samples t tests. RESULTS: A total of 242 patients were included in our analysis. A baseline preoperative pain level of 3.68 of 5 was found. This improved to 4.63 after surgery, representing an improvement of 0.95 points. Surgical intervention was associated with improving outcome when compared with preoperative status. Pain, General Self-Image, Function From Back Condition, and Level of Activity all demonstrated statistically significant improvement as compared with preoperative status (P < 0. 001). Overall, patients were highly satisfied with the results of surgery. CONCLUSION: Preoperative pain exists in our adolescent scoliosis population. Pain scores were improved in our study population at the 2-year postsurgical follow-up. Statistically significant improvements were likewise seen in the General Self-Image, Function From Back Condition, and Level of Activity domains. The present study demonstrates the ability of surgery to improve the outcome of patients afflicted with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.

csbaby
02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree with your orthopedic surgeon. Chiropractors can not correct curvatures. I am with Linda - if they have documented, published proof, let's see it.

It does make them a very good living from our insurance companies though by assuring you they can help.

Your curve is increasing? What does your chiropractor have to say about it?

Your curvature is getting to the degree that it needs surgical intervention. If you are young enough - try to get into a Shriner's hospital for at least an evaluation.

Your parents are scared - mine were too when my scoli was discovered at 15. Back surgery is a scary thing, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and help and support comes from everywhere.

God bless you for making a stand.
Christy

LindaRacine
02-20-2006, 10:27 PM
You stated that the people who were unhappy with their outcomes outnumber those that are happy. I've found studies to contradict that statement. Do you have studies to support it?

--Linda

LindaRacine
02-20-2006, 11:09 PM
http://todayschiropractic.com/archives/may_jun_04/dept_tech.html

anyway, if you like studies..go to above article and there's plenty of references..

If that's a response to me, I'm confused, as it has nothing to do with outcome of surgical patients.

nikyergen
02-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Oh my, Oh my. That is all I can say. Another disagreement. But, you all know how I feel, so I don't even need to get into this one. You all are doing the job for me this time. I'm just enjoying the reading material. Thanks for the entertainment. Glad we are beyond this and a few weeks from being one year post-op. I know surgery was our best option to choose and our daughter agrees with it. It was actually her decision, not ours. We just supported her decision.

gerbo
02-21-2006, 03:40 AM
noticed that the post by "sportsdoc" has gone, but not the reactions to it. Where is it?

LindaRacine
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Don't know. He either deleted it himself, or someone reported it to the NSF and it was taken down.

--Linda

gerbo
02-21-2006, 01:19 PM
cannot see why somebody would have reported him, seemed quite a reasonable posting (unless there is a policy forbidding chiropracters to post).

must have taken it off himself then i suppose. Shame, opportunity for some dialoque lost there

scoliosiscutie
03-14-2006, 09:35 AM
AHHH!!! today i go back to my orthopedic!!! Im nervous but uuhh i dont know how to feel!!! im excited to hear what he has to say.so yeah my appt.is at 11 am (central time) so uhh i cant wait i want to go now!!!! :D so yep yep i dont have much to say but ill give an update when i get back!!!!

scoliosiscutie
03-15-2006, 10:25 AM
ok so no surgery yet...my curves stayed the same so my brace was working! but yea i might get my brace off before high school!!! im sooo excited! but yea my back has been hurting and if it still does then they will need to talk about surgery because my mom and dad dont want me to have surgery when im like25 so yea they said they wanted to be proacticve...
:)