Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back In The Saddle

Hello Everyone,
    I had my surgery in June 2005. It has been very successful and I am back at work. The pain has greatly reduced. I had surgery in the thoracic region for scoliosis and thoracic lordosis. I lost a great deal of weight down to 96lbs but have put back on some 101lbs. I am walking 2 miles in the am and 2 miles in the pm which really helps the pain. I also had a laminectomy at the same time so my sciatic pain as disappeared. The worst pain is in my pelvic region still. The correction was not as much as hoped because of my lung problem the risk would have been too great. I feel like it was enough however to improve the lung function but I won't know until I go back for tests in December. I did not have a computer at home so I was not able to stay in touch. This site helped me prepare in so many ways and I thank everyone for that.
    Christine

How much did you weigh before? This is something that I am very concerned about. Currently I am 5'6" and weigh 115 lbs. I've never had surgery on my back before, but I am seriously concidering it. I am scared that if I do I will lose weight (which has happened to me when I went through previous surgeries not related to my back). Anyway, I am scared that I will be grosely underweight. I don't want to look like Mary-Kate Olsen.
    "My advice to you is not to wonder why or whither, but to enjoy your ice cream while it is still on your plate."
    - Author unknown

23 years old, contiplating surgery.
    Diagnosed at 12, never been braced.

My Blog:

http://backetyyak.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was concerned with that as well, but the opposite happened after surgery after the nausia went away, I put on weight. The fact that my body was more straight made the weight stay on, if that makes any sense.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

it's common to lose a lot of weight as surgery has a tendency to suppress your appetite. i lost 17lbs in 12 days! it was weight i needed to lose but sadly because i also wasn't allowed to exercise at the time it all came back on, though now that i'm a little taller, it looks a bit better than it did and i'm not overweight. being able to afford to lose weight is something i'd recommend to people - i don't mean go overboard and become obese before surgery, but it's not a bad thing if you have a few extra pounds on which you can afford to lose, because i've known a few people who've lost a dramatic amount of weight and been quite weak afterwards. having said all this everyone reacts in different ways and you may find you don't lose anything i hope i didn't frighten anyone by saying that

getting back to the original point - i'm glad you're feeling better christine, hope you continue to progress with getting back to normal
        diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
        braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
        fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
        Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
        scoliosis support forum

Comment

HI,
          I was 106 before the surgery and am not gaining very fast. I had lost weight due to my respiratory problems while my appetitie has returned the weight seems to be stabilzed for awhile. The little bit of weight I have gained has given me more energy. Yes, I looked like I had cancer or something. I am 5'4 1/4" before the surgery I was 5' 3". When I came out of the milwakee brace at 16 I was 5'5" and weighed 116. I was 106 since I lost weight in 1998 due to the flu and decreased lung function. What I am focused on is regaining strength, endurance and health. The weight will be what it is. I have loss of bone in my right hip and my doctor is considering one of the new medications for rebuilding bone.

Good Luck!
          Christine

Comment

Working...
          X