surgery and spine rotation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery and spine rotation?

Would surgery reduce my spine rotation or only curves ?
    What will happen with my rib hump ?

wow, how weird that you'd post that question... I was just talking about that yesterday... Well, in my case, I had both. I had a pretty large back hump which rotated as well. After my surgery, my back hump had disappeared completely. What did take me by surprise though, was the fact that during de-rotation, it sort of rotated to the other side of my body... am I making sense? My doctor said to think of my spine as a spiral staircase. Because my curve/rotation wasn't reduced completely, what was left of it rotated to the other side. I'm confusing myself here... Ok, before the surgery, I had a 76 degree top curve, and a 68 degree lower curve. The top curve was on my right side, and the lower curve on my left. After surgery, the lower curve was gone completely, and what was left of the top (15 degrees) was now on my left...
    I hope I've made some sense here...
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Scoliotic...

The answer is really that it depends on the surgeon. There are some techniques that work better than others to reduce the rib hump permanently. It's something to discuss with your surgeon.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

OK. What about lordosis , is it possible to reduce ?

Comment

I'm hoping too that my rotation will be sorted. I rotate both ways with a double curve and have one lumbar 'lump' on my side and a rib hump higher on my right. Its pretty ugly really but I'm fairly used to it. It will be very odd if they can improve it.

Monie - nice to hear from you again - I was all worried after your last blog entry, then nothing. Are you feeling brighter?

BTW, you and Kat have inspired me to start my own blog. Check it out at http://warpedwoman.myblogsky.com
          Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
          Post op 30(T)/33(L)
          http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey Pips, still here... My laptop sort of gave up on me, and I haven't really felt like going into the living room, and using the PC. I'll be posting shortly though. I just checked out your blog... very, very nice! I'm going to put your link on my blog right this minute.I'll be reading every day...

Also, regarding the humps, isn't there a procedure where they shave off part of the ribs to reduce the hump? I know that my surgeon had mentioned it to me, but I declined. I've been reading up on it, and quite a number of people with pretty bad curves/humps have gone through with it...
            27 Years Old
            Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
            Post Surgery: 15 degrees
            www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Scoliotic...

It's definitely possible to increase or decrease ANY curve in the spine, whether it be scoliosis, kyphosis or lordosis.

As to Pips question, there is a surgery, thoracoplasty, that can significantly reduce rib humps.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
              X