Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27, newlywed, and facing surgery

Hi -

I just got back from the doctor yesterday, it looks like my curve has worsened to 50 degrees and I'm faced with surgery. I just got married 2 months ago and was looking forward to starting a family soon. This definitely will push that idea back. I'd like to schedule the surgery as soon as possible (targeting Jan '06). What can I expect for a recovery period? What type of brace will I need to wear and for how long? How long do I need to wait until we can start to try and get pregnant?

I'm sure all these questions will get answered soon. Just looking for some first hand experience for someone.

Thanks!

I can only speak for myself, but I had surgery to fuse T-2 to the sacrum and stayed 5 days in the hospital and a week in a rehab hospital, then went home. I am expected to be off work a total of 8-12 weeks from the surgery date. Depending on the area fused your recovery time may be different, as well as the type of brace you will have. Some persons don't have to wear a brace postop. Mine is hard plastic from the collar bone to the pelvis; I don't wear it when I sleep. I have to wear it 4 months. There is hope that at 3 months I may get a smaller brace to wear. I also wear a bone growth stimulator for 4 hours daily and will continue for 9 months total. It simply wraps around my stomach and back and I can wear it when I sleep or over my brace when I am up and about. As far as when you can get pregnant, I guess you should check with your doctor, but I am thinking maybe a year from your surgery would be an appropriate time because everything is pretty much back to normal. Good luck.

Comment

Hi...

At 27, your recovery should be relatively quick (at least compared to those of us in our 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond). Your best bet would be to get the names and phone numbers of somone in your age range who was treated by your surgeon. They can give you the best idea of what to expect in terms of recovery and brace type and duration.

You should check with your surgeon about when it's reasonable to get pregnant. In "The Scoliosis Sourcebook," Dr. Michael Neuwirth recommends not getting pregnant for six months. The concern would be that you would be gaining weight and bulk before fusion is 100% complete.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Cwhite...

Hi, I had surgery when I was 26, and it took at least a year to get back to feel more normal, and almost two years to really heal completely but I did have revision surgery at one year four months post op to get rid of one hook, so that's why it took longer. All in all it's mostly one year. It also depends what kind of shape you're in, wether you're more muscular, have big bones, etc. I was thin, but I'm very small boned and don't have a big muscle mass, as I have been working on that ever since surgery and that helps a lot as far as healing, because the hardware was heavy on my small frame . As far as bracing goes, some don't wear any, some wear plastic ones and me I wore a soft one only-on and off for the first six months to a year, only when I was sitting or standing long periods of time. I think most surgeons would not recommend getting pregnant for at least one year post op, as the fusion needs to heal before, and you don't want to put more stress on the spine.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hey CWhite, well I'm 27 as well, and I had my surgery in September. There are good days and bad days, but I have to admit that the good days more than out number the bad. I feel pretty good for someone who could hardly move 6 or 7 weeks ago. I drive, I cook, I do laundry, I go out, and the other night, I actually danced a little with my son. I do think you'd have to wait for about a year (or so I've heard) to have a baby, but other than that I think you'll do great.

The good news is that you're newly married, so that means you'll get to be spoiled and babied by your new husband...
          27 Years Old
          Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
          Post Surgery: 15 degrees
          www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome! I too am just recently married, and learned that my curve is over 50 degrees. I decided to take another plunge, and am having surgery on December 13. I was told I should wait about a year before trying to get pregnant, and most doctors I talked to, including boths orthos and ob/gyns told me it was better to have the surgery first, then babies second. (How are you going to care for a kid while recovering from surgery? Unless you put it off for YEARS, and then how bad does it get in meantime...)
            Meg is Spinewhine
            31 years old with thoracic curve
            Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
            Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
            http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think if a person can wait to have kids first and surgery after(years after) IF she's not in much pain it is best. But when the pain gets too much, then the surgery has to come first. Sometimes there are decisions that are hard to make that are choices where our health comes first.
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Children and fusion

This is from a forum:

"This is probably the most difficult question to address. If you have small children, or plan to have small children, there's probably no perfect time to have scoliosis surgery. Handling children, especially doing things like putting them into car seats, is just brutal on your back. If you choose to have surgery, the discs above and below your fusion may be at increased risk of degeneration. So, carrying a heavy child may eventually lead to more pain and perhaps more surgery. If you can wait to have your surgery until your children are self sufficient, you may have an easier time."

link: www.scoliosislinks.com/ShouldYouHaveSurgery.htm

Realistically that is the best option and it's very well explained, IMO
                Last edited by sweetness514; 11-28-2005, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X