Exersise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exersise

What kind of exersises do you all think is best for scoliosis?

The ones I *feel* like they make the most (best) difference are swimming and pilates.
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

The answer to your question first depends on whether you have had fusion and instrumentation surgery. If you have had surgery, then it also depends on which vertebrae have been fused. I think the purpose of exercise is to increase strength, flexibility and endurance. Therefore each person needs to decide how best to achieve these goals within the context of his/her physical limitations. I work out at a gym three times a week. My trainer designed an individual program for me which takes into consideration the fact that my spine is fused from T-3 to L-3. I have found over the years that I am able to do far more in the gym than I ever anticipated. In addition I try to walk (2 mi.) at least once per week. I tried yoga, but found it less than satisfying because my body does not bend into many of the positions required.

Comment

Dear friends,

I think, the best are swimming and back exercise

Comment

Exercise

Since you posted under non-surgical I asume you haven't had surgery. When I was first diagnosed 7 yrs ago I worked with a P.T. to get stronger and to straighten out my posture and hips. You must get your core muscles strong. I have been able to do this so well that when I went in for a check-up x-ray my Dr. couldn't believe how well I have compensated. I went from 23* to 49* in seven yrs. (lumbar only curve) I will have surgery the end of Jan and went in last week for an evaluation with the P.T. I will see post op. He found a couple of weak spots I am now working on. Also, before surgery it is important to get your quads strong as i'm told they will be used more then ever after surgery. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X