Post-op difference in leg length or hip height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op difference in leg length or hip height

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the way you walk many months after surgery? I'm now 9 months post-op and have noticed that when I step on my right foot, I step up a bit. When I step on my left, I step down a bit. My right hip was always higher than my left before surgery and now they are almost even, so I think that it was lowered with my surgery.

I know that most people without scoliosis have a slight difference to the height of each leg, but this feels really noticable to me and it just started feeeling this way. In fact, I've noticed that sub-consiously, I've begun dragging my feet as I walk to avoid the limping. I'm wondering if my body just compensated for the scoliosis before and now that it's corrected, I'm noticing the difference?

Thanks!

I think you probably hit the nail on the head. I have a leg length discrepancy with on ehip also higher than other. I feel like I walk "normal" although most others see that I walk with a hip. I also have problems that stem from the compensation. (One leg (the longer one) doesn't fully extend when walking/standing, resulting in some muscle strength diffeerences. I am expecting this to be different post op, as my body adjusts to it's new position things will feel weird, even though they are "better" - it's like learning to walk again!
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

leg discrepancy?

A visit with your doctor can discover if your legs are different lengths; mine aren't. For a long time I noticed my walking felt different when my hips were even because the muscles were arranged differently with a straighter spine.

It took awhile for everything to normalize. Now I walk 3 miles, at a time, up and down steep hills with no problem.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks Karen...glad to know I'm not totally losing my mind

I have an appt. with my PCP on Monday. I'll have them measure me to see what they find.

Comment

Working...
        X