Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with being pregnant after back surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with being pregnant after back surgery?

Hey everyone!

I am 22 years old and recently married. I had surgery to correct my scoliosis when I was 15. I just wondered if anyone ever had any problems with being pregnant after having the surgery. My doctor said it would be more difficult, especially with the back pain, but I wanted to know from others that have gone through it if they would recommend it. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks! Lauri

i'm 18 and had surgery this summer, and was told by my surgeon that it shouldn't cause me any extra problems. i guess it depends a little on the length of your fusion (mine's only 5 vertebrae)

here are some stories on another forum of pregnancy experiences with scoliosis
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

if you put pregnancy or pregnant into the search function up the top, it should come up with other threads there's been on this

Comment

No problems at all!

I was pregnant five years after my surgery. I had absolutly no problems at all during my nine months or during delivery. I did not have an epidural, and had her in three hours. Interesting.....my cast was removed after nine months on November 19, 1981 and my daughter was born after nine months pregnant on November 19, 1986! Both dates were joyous!
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
        X