Nicole's 1 year!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicole's 1 year!!!!!

well yesterday was 1 year since my daughter's surgery!!! I can't believe it has been a year. I thought about what we were doing on that day and it seems so sureal that a year ago she was having her surgery. Just wondering if "mamakay" and "Billsmom" are still around here and wanted to say "happy anniversary"! Let me know if you guys are still around
    Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
    Yes I am still checking in on everyone.
    We went to Stephanies 1 yr checkup yesterday.
    Also we talked about where we were a yr ago to the hour, and cried over how hard and happy it has been.
    She still has some pain after sitting in school chairs and walking or standing alot on hard floors but the Dr said the xrays looked good even though he said it's hard to see the thoratic area for fusing. Since the lower looks fused he thought she was fusing all over.whewww.
    She wants to pierce her nose (.. uhhh...) but he discouraged that.
    I heard her say she was going to do it later anyway. What's a mom to do?
    She still thinks she is invinsible but that comes with being a teenager I guess.
    We went to the galleria for some celebration shopping and I saw she bought some high heels...
    Well I am glad Nichole is doing good and I am praying for lorrries dtr now as I see she is having some issues with maybe a infection. Stephanie was on alot of antibiotics for the reaction to her sutures up top as you remember so hopefully everything will be okay for her dtr too.
    Ste has no restrictions now (probably didn't follow all of them anyway) and it was so good too hear from you again.

keep in touch .... mamakay
    now 16 yr old daughter
    with worsen 65 degree upper curve
    surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

hi mamakay
      I'm so glad you are still around!! I didn't know if i should post or not - i figured you may have been long gone from here.
      Nicole is doing good. She said she has felt fine for a long time, but starting september her back sometimes has been bothering her. I am sure it is nothing; maybe some muscles or something. We are not supposed to go back until january for a check up but i called and wanted to get in sooner so we will go in december. She definitely needs to see for herself on the x-rays that everything is fine. She is worried that something is broken, but i highly doubt that. She is very cautious and really has not done anything that she shouldn't be doing and she said it only bothers her sometimes.
      Yesterday i let her have the day off from school and we went shopping and out to lunch to celebrate!! I thought of that day a year ago and reminded her how she wouldn't get out of her bed to go to the hospital. My husband had to literally pick her up and put her in the car. I never thought life would be back to "normal" again.
      Well glad to hear step is doing good and yes i remember her problem with her incision getting infected.
      Well thanks for writing - keep in touch!!
      Jennifer

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Can you believe it has been one year? Jamie is only one month behind Nicole so we'll be in your shoes very soon. I loved your idea of celebrating the anniversary. I don't think Jamie will want to take the day off of school (her goal is to have perfect attendance this year to make up for all the missed days over the past two years due to Scoliosis) but I'm sure we'll come up with some way to celebrate.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Jenn
          Wow One Year Congratulations Nicole. We Are Going To See Boachie On Mon Nicole Is 7 Months Post Op. We See Him Every Three Months Because Of The Brace Which Is Going Well. I'm Hoping Between The Lift And The Brace We Get Some Good News. She Has Grown 1 1/2 " Since Are Last Visit Shes All Legs. Glad To Hear From You I'm Always Looking At This Site I Guess I'm Struck. My Nicole Also Says Hi And Congrats To Your Nicole.
          Theresa
          O O O Did You Get A Letter Or Paper For Nicole To Use When She Went On The Plane To Disney. I'm Taking Nicole In Dec For A Week. Did She Beep My Nicole Is So Worried About Beeping.
          Thanks Theresa
          THERESA

Comment

hi marylou
            yes you are almost at the one year mark!!! Can you believe how fast it has gone. I couldn't imagine a year ago them feeling this good. How does Jamie's back feel?? Nicole almost didn't want to take the day off because she has not missed a day this year, but it didn't take much persuading! You'll find some way to celebrate i'm sure. Is Jamie participating in gym class yet??
            keep in touch
            Jennifer

Theresa
            Let me know how your 7 month check up goes. I'm sure he will lift alot of restrictions. Glad to hear she is doing so good with the brace issue. I know it must be tough to go through the surgery and then have to wear a brace after, but i'm sure it won't be for too much longer. I did get a letter before nicole went to florida in case she beeped, but she didn't beep. I think she was a little disappointed about that.
            talk to you soon
            Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

Jamie's back is doing great! She started riding the bus the first day of school; carries all of her books (high school is allowed to use backpacks which helps); she is taking a regular gym class with no restrictions. The only time she complains about her back is when she lays around too much. I'm so glad our girls are doing so well.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi everyone... First of all, I'd like to congratulate everyone on their 'one year' anniversaries! That must feel really great. If you don't mind, I just had a quick question that I was hoping you could help me with; I've read all your posts,and I know that all your girls seem to be doing just fine, but does anyone remember 'exactly' when things started to feel normal? I had my surgery late September, and even though I'm getting much better, I tend to get a tad impatient. I'm much older than your girls (I'm 27), so all I keep wondering is when I get to go back to work... anyway, it was a huge relief to read your postings, and see that as mothers, you're satisfied with the progress that your girls have made... I guess it sort of gave me hope. Well, thanks... If you could get back, it'd be greatly appreciated... Again, the question is "Does anyone remember 'exactly' when things started to feel normal again?... How long after the surgery? Thank you.
                27 Years Old
                Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
                Post Surgery: 15 degrees
                www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Monie,

Hmmm...your question is a tough one. I don't think we'll ever feel "completely normal". We Moms tend to worry a lot and sometimes we have reason to worry-such as Jamie has some Kyphosis above her fused area which we were told could happen-and the fact they have all that titanium in them, we may never feel completely normal.

However, to answer your question, Jamie says she felt back to normal when she returned to school, but being a teenager, school is a major part of her life so I guess that would make her feel normal. As a Mom, I think I really started to relax once we had her six month check-up and the doctor assured me that the fusion was progressing well and she had several of her restrictions lifted. At that point we could pretty much get back to normal-riding bikes, going bowling, going for hikes in the mountains, etc.

I'm glad you are feeling well enough to be impatient. That tells me you are dong great! As hard as it is, please follow your doctor's restrictions and give your back a lot of time to heal. Like I tell Jamie, you don't want to risk doing anything now that could cause you to have a longer recovery or worse yet, permanent problems in the future.

Mary Lou

Comment

1 year since surgery

Congratulations on Nicole's 1-year anniversary. I am also the Mom to a Nicole so I thought I would join the conversation. We are relatively new here so if you don't mind mind my asking where the surgery was done and what the recovery was like. Also how old is your Nicole? My Nikki is 11 with a 37 degree curve. She's been in the Spinecor for 2 months. Take care, Melissa
                    Melissa
                    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

hi monie
                      It did take a while for my daughter to feel "normal" again. She was out of school for 9 weeks and at that point she was definitely feeling alot better but sitting in the chairs at school kind of bothered her a little and when she would come home from school she would lay down. Some people definitely have a quicker recovery then others. I think my daughter did everything a little slower then most of the girls, but i'd say around 4 months and on she was really feeling pretty much "normal" again.
                      good luck and you'll get there.
                      Jennifer

Comment

hi matjesnic
                        welcome to this board. You will find out that everyone here is really great and the support from everyone is unbelievable. Before my daughter's surgery i don't know what i would have done without everyone from here. My daughter is 15 turning 16 soon and had surgery last november. Her surgeon is Dr. Boachie at hospital for special surgery in Manhattan. If you do a search of him you will find that he is an "unbelievable" surgeon! Surgery was a huge decision to make but we knew we were in the right hands with him. My daughter was braced at 24 degrees and refused to wear it so it progressed for a few years until she hit 62 and we knew it was time to have surgery. It was the hardest year of my life. But i must say the anticipating before the surgery was definitely worse then the recovery. It was tough, but not as bad as i imagined. And just this summer my daughter already went to disney, so things do get back to normal after surgery. Good luck with your daughter. I'm sure the spinecor is much more comfortable then the hard braces.
                        Jennifer

Comment

hi marylou
                          wow, i can't believe jamie is doing full gym!!! I don't let nicole do anything. I know i am to overprotective about her back still. I am always scared that she will hurt herself. Everything she asked me if she can do i say no and she is still not back in gym.
                          Jennifer

Comment

Thanks for all of that information. I can imagine that the worrying before the actual surgery is the worst. Yes, the spinecor is comfortable and Nicole has had very little complaints. But whether it will prevent her from needing the surgery remains to be seen. We go to New York every 3 months to see Dr. Deutchman on Park Avenue. Next time we go, we will see a Broadway show. We live in Bucks County, Pa. Not real far from Phila. Did you also look into Children's Hospital in Phila.? Does your daughter have any long-term restrictions? Nicole is a dancer so she is concerned about having to miss dance for 6 months if she needs the surgery. Then of course there will be the flexibility issue. I am happy for you that your daughter's surgery is now in the past. Best of luck and good health to all of you. Melissa

Originally posted by jc3
                            hi matjesnic
                            welcome to this board. You will find out that everyone here is really great and the support from everyone is unbelievable. Before my daughter's surgery i don't know what i would have done without everyone from here. My daughter is 15 turning 16 soon and had surgery last november. Her surgeon is Dr. Boachie at hospital for special surgery in Manhattan. If you do a search of him you will find that he is an "unbelievable" surgeon! Surgery was a huge decision to make but we knew we were in the right hands with him. My daughter was braced at 24 degrees and refused to wear it so it progressed for a few years until she hit 62 and we knew it was time to have surgery. It was the hardest year of my life. But i must say the anticipating before the surgery was definitely worse then the recovery. It was tough, but not as bad as i imagined. And just this summer my daughter already went to disney, so things do get back to normal after surgery. Good luck with your daughter. I'm sure the spinecor is much more comfortable then the hard braces.
                            Jennifer
                            Melissa
                            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Jennifer,

Have you asked Dr. Boachie about Nicole doing gym? We are lucky, our school offers a choice in gym classes. One class does all the regular things like flag football, etc. and the other class does things like tennis, yoga and weight lifting/strengthening. Jamie chose the tennis/yoga class without my imput and that was even before we asked her doctor if she would be able to take gym. She said that she was tired of doing the same thing they did in middle school and wanted to try something new. Her teacher has been great! She told Jamie if there is something she can't do, just relax and take a break. So far other than sit ups there hasn't been anything really that she can't do.

Don't worry, you'll find yourself at a point where you start to relax and let Nicole do more and more. I feel relieved right now because since summer is over, we don't have to deal with most of Jamie's restrictions. We just have to get through the next several weeks and she should be home free. She is having a real hard time right now since it is hunting season and it is killing her when her dad packs up and goes without her. She does know and understand that it is better to wait than to take a chance and hurt herself.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X