Rods and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rods and running

I am currently 34 years old. I wore the milwalkee back brace from 4th grade through 8th grade. I had/have 2 curves (an S curve). These curves continued to worsen and I had the sugery to install the harrington rods and spinal fusion in 1989. Over the past two years I have been having increased pain and stiffness in my back and neck. At times my right hip with hurt so bad and my hip/leg will numb. I am going to the doc in December.

I have gained about 20 pounds the last two years. My questions are whether this is just "normal" back pain as I age or possibly due to the weight gain. Also, I am exercising trying to lose the weight (it isn't working) and I am wondering if the running (on a treadmill) is causing some of the pain.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
    Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Mocity,
    It is possible that you have developed "flatback syndrome" due to the old Harringtons. I would not consider 30 old, but the 20 lbs may be affecting your back. I would seek out a ortho that deals with adult scoli patients. I would ask your doc in Decmember how much experience he has with adult scoli patients. If he doesn't I would ask him/her for the name of someone who does deal with adults.
    SandyC

Comment

Hi Mocity,

I have titanium rods, but my doctor told me I was not allowed to run. I hope you find the source of your problem soon.

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Hi...

I agree with Sandy, but would actually take it a step further, and recommend that you try to find someone who has a lot of experience in treating people with prior long fusions. If you find someone who doesn't have a lot of experience, you have a big chance of being told that there's nothing that can be done. I don't know anyone in Houston, but Mike LaGrone in Amarillo is about as good as you can get anywhere in the world.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree with most of everybody has said. Weight is not helping, and running when there is some hip pain isn't helping either. As far as the stiffness in the neck I believe I did reply another time about how the fusion does cause stress in that area(as the lumbar), and gentle PT exercises, acupuncture and massages have been helping me, as my neck causes me the same types of pains.

Maybe you can try to do other types of exercises, like walking, swimming, etc, without putting too much stress on your spine, like you do with running, at least for now.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
          X