View Full Version : I need your opinions

11-04-2005, 06:02 AM
Hi - I have a 45 thoracic curve and a 60 degree lumbar curve and am in my early 50's. I'm having a harder and harder time walking and now have to use a walker if I want to go more than half a block or so. And even then I have a hard time and can't go much farther than a block. My question is about my leg. Once I walk for about a minute or so, it feels like the top of my right leg is coming out of the socket or something and then I can't walk on it without severe sharp pain. The doctors told me my pelvis is tilted from the lumbar curve - so is the leg actually detaching from the pelvis - or what is happening? It's getting worse and it's getting extremely difficult to get around, not to mention the severe pain. If I have to walk more that half a block, I practically have to crawl. Does anyone have any ideas on what this is? Thanks very much.

I have another question too. I just started in a new job and they have denied me parking in the close parking lot. Since I have a sedentary job, they say I don't need a parking accomodation to do the job. So they are making me park on the street and I have to use my walker to get to and from the office, but still with quite a bit of pain. Has anyone else had this problem? According to a web site I looked at, there is not a clear decision on whether parking is considered an accomodation under the ADA law. But then what are those of us who can't walk supposed to do? Thanks for any ideas you may have!

11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi JanM,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. I would suggest a second opinion about your leg problems.

Regardless of any type of law...your company should accomodate you. That is just ridiculous! I hope you find out more about the law and can get a RESERVED parking space in front of the door!

Kindest Regards,

11-04-2005, 11:26 AM

It sounds like we are having a similar kind of problem. In the last couple of months I have had terrible pain in my left hip and leg. I find it really painful to walk on it and have had to start using an electric mobility scooter to get around university (not the typical accessory for a student :( ) I had x-rays and MRI scans done two weeks ago and had the results yesterday and all they could tell me was that there was nothing serious showing up in the scan and that I was definately in pain but they couldn't explain why! So I'm still in pain and have got to go for more tests.

I know exactly what it feels like to not be able to park close to places. In university the only parking spaces are a long way from my halls of residence, and although there are disabled parking spaces on the university campus they have told me I can't park in them because they are for guests only. I'm not sure about the laws in Hawaii but in Britain they are supposed to provide disabled parking and access everywhere.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope it is of help to you.

Karen Ocker
11-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Have you seen an adult scoliosis specialist? You may not have to live that way. You can find helpful doctors on this forum.

I was helped at age 60 and am totally pain free. I stand all day at my job in the OR.


11-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Jan! I have the same question as Karen! Have you met with a surgeon who specializes in scoliosis yet?? ~ My goodness! You shouldn't have to go through everything you're going through! Please go to your local Department of Motor Vehicles and get the form for handicapped parking! You fill the forms out and bring it to your family physician, and the doctors signs it. I'm sure your doctor will agree to that if you are in so much pain! Then you bring the form back to the Department of Motor Vehicles and before too long, you will have the thing to hang on your rear view mirror in your car! You can park in ANY handicapped parking space! Good Luck!!!

11-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi - thanks for all your replies. Yes, I have seen a scoliosis specialist - and I'm going to have surgery, but for personal reasons, I have to wait about a year. So in the meantime, I'm trying to cope. And yes, I have a handicapped sticker for my car. And my employer knows this and has received forms and letters from my doctor that confirms this. I know I will probably need to get a lawyer, but I was trying to get them to give me accessible parking before I have to go spend money on a lawyer. My employer told me that in the past they gave other people parking who had handicapped stickers and found out they weren't really handicapped. So now they're only giving accessible parking to people who request an accomodation in the work space, such as adjustment to the cubicle, or computer etc. Which really doesn't make sense because people with limited mobility often don't require a separate accomodation, other than close parking. It just seems unbelievable in this day and age that they'd deny me accessible parking. I'm so angry I'm ready to quit, but I don't want to do that - I want to fight to get the parking.

11-06-2005, 03:04 PM
You keep fighting, Jan! Your employer is being unreasonably unfair... I wish I could report them to the Better Business Bureau. Be strong and hang in there!

11-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Do you live in United States? If so, you could report to the EEOC, and also many states have disablity advocate organizations that you could call that could provide you with free advice and help. (Cheaper than a lawyer!)

11-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Jan lives in Hawaii, I believe. EXCELLENT suggestion, SpineWhine!
Jan... Here is one of many websites for The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: http://www.eeoc.gov/ ~ I hope you nail your employer!

12-08-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi - I want to thank you all for your kind replies. Just thought I'd let you know that my employer finally did give me accessible parking.

12-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Jan, congratulations, glad to hear your good news! Kris