questions to be answered pleaseeeee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions to be answered pleaseeeee

hey guys. i havnt posted in a while but heres the recent news. My surgery is now on feb. 14th. ( Valentines day) and i had a few questions to ask.

How long are you ussually in the hospital for after surgery?

Did anyone need a wheelchair after surgery?

If anyone had surgery during the school year (high school) , was it hard to recover from all the days you missed?

And any advice you want to add, that would be great. THANKS!!

kristina*

Hi sweetalkerx3,

My son will be having surgery on Dec. 19th, but I think I can answer your questions from what I have learned so far:

I believe recovery time in hospital averages about 5-7 days. As for the wheelchair, I don't think you necessarily need one, but some people have used one and found it to be helpful, I think Kris A.'s daughter used one while at school. As far as time missed from school, you should look into setting up a 504 plan with the school. A tutor may be able to come to your home once a week or something to bring schoolwork back and forth and offer assistance. Check out the thread "504 plan" which gives lots of good advice on the back to school issue. Hope this has been somewhat helpful. Take care and good luck to you.

Renee

Comment

Renee,

Sounds like you've done your homework! My daughter will be 11 months post-op on Monday, so maybe I can help. Jamie returned to school half days at about 3 1/2-4 weeks. She returned full days at six weeks. She was supposed to have a tutor for up to thirty hours, but actually the tutor only came two and a half hours total! I made the school aware of the upcoming surgery as soon as we knew a date. They were great with helping us even though we didn't have a 504 plan.

Kristina,

Most people don't need a wheelchair after surgery. Jamie was in the hospital for six days. Being a teenager, I think some of the worst moments was after we were home from the hospital. You will need help with dressing, showering, etc. and when you are in the hospital it really doesn't seem to matter. Once you are home and start feeling better, it tends to get embarrassing for some. Talk with your Mom ahead of time and possibly work out some issues ahead of time. For example: I would let Jamie sit in the bedroom while I warmed up her shower; I would then turn it off, leave the bathroom (I stayed right outside the door) and she would get undressed and wrap a towel around her; she would get into the shower and hand me the towel. We did the same thing at the end of her shower.

If you would like to "talk" to Jamie personally, feel free to e-mail her at our support group address which is: Spinesupport05@aol.com. I hope this help. Feel free to e-mail us with any questions/concerns you may have. Renee, that goes for you too. These last few weeks before surgery can be crazy.

Mary Lou

Comment

Some Answers

Hi Kristina. I had surgery on September 20, 2005 (during the beginning of my 9th grade year). The usual hospital time is 5-10 days. I stayed in the hospital for 7 days. Before your surgery, like now, start talking to your school, about home schooling. I was recovering at home for 8 weeks after surgery, so a home school teacher had to come and teach me my lessons twice a week for 2 hours and 15 minutes each day. So, make sure and do that. While in the hospital, I was in a wheelchair for about 5 days until I was able to get on my feet again. It will be hard at first, but it will definately get better. I hope that this helps you some. Take care. If you have any special questions, just email me at hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com. Yahoo Messenger: rock_child08
        AIM SN: Ross40728
        Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
        www.myspace.com/ross40728
        Had surgery on 9/20/04
        81* Scheuermann's Disease
        40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
        U Rod Inserted
        Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Hi Kristina, I had surgery just over 6 months ago, so I'll try to answer your questions.

I think that most people are in the hospital for about 5-7 days. I stayed in the hospital for 7 days. The only time that I used a wheelchair was when I was going downstairs (well...down the elevator, but still downstairs) in the hospital to get to the car to go home. Other than that, I walked. I had surgery during the school year (April 26) and I missed 4 weeks. During that time, my teachers would record all my homework on a piece of paper, and my freind would go into my desk and grab all the books I needed for the assignment and she'd bring it to me after school. It was nice to have her do that, because I didn't fall behind too much (At one point I was 10-12 lessons behind in math, but I had all those finished within 3 days of getting back to school) Good luck!!
          Last edited by ANIMAL LOVER12; 01-01-2006, 09:17 PM.
          ~*Lauren*~
          Braced for 5 months
          Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
          Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
          Surgery on April 26th 2005
          Fused from T3-L4
          Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

okay to answer your questions:

before my surgery i was told normal time in the hospital would be 7-10 days, with a few days in ICU (intesive care unit). i spent six days in ICU and a total of 12 days in the hospital

when i was leaving the hospital i used a wheelchair, just because it was quicker and easier than having to walk back to the car. when i got home i could move around all right, though

my surgery was in the summer, so i'm sorry that i can't be much of a help there. perhaps you could have your teachers give you some of the work in advance, and depending on how long you're gone maybe have them come to your house for an hour or two to help you with your work.
            when i had foot surgery in sixth grade i was absent from school for four months. my teachers were able to give me most of the work in advance, and each teacher came to my house for an hour each week so that it counted as me being in school. with high school teachers it's harder, but maybe you could try to make an arrangement with your teachers so you can get the work done.

let me know how your surgery goes
            Marlana
            16, Senior
            Spina Bifida
            Boston Brace for 2 years
            Spinal Fusion July 25, 2002
            Post-Op Brace for 6 months

Comment

Had surgery

Hey Kristina...

I had the surgery when I was 15 and a sophomore in High school. I was in the hospital for about a month. Yes I did need to have a wheelchair. It's like starting all over again with movement. Your slower for a while and will need help with turning over, taking showers, sitting up. I had to be very dependant on my family, which was alittle challenging cause I have always been an independant so it taught me alot of patience. I was out of school for four months and school work worked out good cause I was home taught during that time which really helped. I would suggest doing that. Other wise it could be difficult. if you have any other questions about the surgery, after surgery, etc.. you can email me at youngdragon_22@hotmail.com.
              I had someone help me out before my surgery on all the questions I wanted to know. She had it at my age. She really helped me out alot and hope I can do that for you. Take care! Lauri

Comment

Wow Lauri!!, four months out of school and a month in hospital, was that due to complications.........was it a complex fusion surgery

Sorry I'm just curious, the lengths of time just suprised me, I had my fusion surgery the year after you did when I was 13.........and my stay/time out of school was very different to yours

Once I was out of hospital, I was not using a walker or a wheelchair. I was pretty stiff and upright and walked a bit slow/carefully though

I was in hospital for 10 days, and out of school for 6 weeks

Alison

Comment

How long are you ussually in the hospital for after surgery?
                  i was in 3 days but i've heard ur usually in for a week or more
                  Did anyone need a wheelchair after surgery?
                  i didn't...except to go down to the cafateria with my aunt and best friend it hurts to walk long disances after surgery
                  If anyone had surgery during the school year (high school) , was it hard to recover from all the days you missed? i got out of school the last week of middle school i was exscused from all that work...but i have heard that if u have organized teachers they can give ur school work for the time ur going to miss.
                  some extra advice from me to you is when they tell u to bring no skid or like traction sneakers bring the lightest ones you can find..second day of surgery my mom put my sneakers on to go walk around a bit...felt like i had 2 tons on each foot and resist the urge to flip over when you wake up...the nurses get mad....they dont like it much...plus it hurts if you twist too much goot luck!
                  ~Shannon~
                  Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
                  13 months Post-op
                  E-mail me!:
                  starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Working...
                  X