Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a special post op. chair?

Hello Everyone,
    I had read at one time about a really graet chair that was very comfortable for the kids post op. Does anyone have information on this? The one I read about was about $150 and I'm not sure what it was called.
    Many Thanks,
    Patricia
    *BILLIE JOE*

Hmm I think my friend has one she had surgery just over 10 weeks ago and she calls it her royal throne I'm not sure where she got it or anything I'll try and find out and get back to you.

Comment

Hi Billy Joe,

I purchased a Lazy Boy lift chair...I would have traded my car for this chair. In my opinion it is more than a lift chair...there is a lot of technology behind it. To this day, when it rains and I feel achy all over... I can get in the chair and get out of pain without meds. It wasn't cheap...but it looks like a regular piece of furniture and to me it was a lot more sturdy than some of the wobbly chairs at the medical supply stores.

I tell pre-op patients that after surgery I didn't have anything comfortable to sit on. They can't quite grasp what I am talking about, until they are post-op.

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Gail, I agree with you on the point of finding a comfortable place to sit. My husband got hold of a second-hand wheelchair, which ended up being a gift to us. My daughter "lived" in that chair when she was not in her hospital bed. Before the wheelchair, I had resigned myself to sitting beside her hospital bed we rented, and handing her a cup with a straw and feeding her snacks directly to her mouth, so she didn't have to sit up and endure the awkward positions in various couches and chairs in our house. The wheelchair ended up being the perfect fit for her back, stuffed with pillows, of course. Anything else was to hard to get out of, too hard to lean forward in, or whatever. I was disappointed with the gate on the hospital bed. When I would raise her upper body into a sitting position, the gate would go up right where she could reach out to get a drink or whatever. She ended up not being able to raise herself and get out of bed with assistance of the bed, like I had hoped. I think I know the chair that is $150. It basically sits up highter than others and may assist in preventing that sinking feeling that ordinary chairs have. However, $150 is pretty steep to me! Kris

Comment

PATRICIA
          HI
          MY NICOLE IS 7 MONTHS POST OP. WE USED HER OLD FISHER PRICE HIGH CHAIR IT WAS PADDED AND HAD A STRAIGHT BACK. I TOOK THE FOOT REST OFF AND USED THREE PILLOWS ONE FOR THE BACK ONE ON EACH SIDE. WE COULDN'T GET OVER THE FACT THAT SHE STILL FIT INTO THIS CHAIR AT 12 YEARS OLD. HER FEET OF COURSE TOUCHED THE GROUND SO GETTING ON AND OFF WAS EASY.THIS WAS HER FARVORTIE PLACE TO SIT AT ABOUT THREE WEEKS POST OP. WE ALSO GOT A TABLE MATE ll SNACK TABLE WHICH IS ADJUSTABLE SO IT FIT IN FRONT OF THE HIGH CHAIR AT THE RIGHT HEIGHT. BOTH ARE EASY TO MOVE FROM ROOM TO ROOM TOO. A HIP CHAIR MAY ALSO BE GOOD I THINK YOU COULD RENT ONE OR BUY IT.
          THERESA
          THERESA

Comment

My daughter will be 11 months post-op on Monday and she preferred a hard, wooden rocking chair with a straight back. We used a pillow to soften the seat and the back. The rocking chair was easier to get out of immediately following surgery, plus it offered solid support for her back.

Mary Lou

Comment

To us the best chair was one padded well with pillows. Like Kris, we felt $150 was a little steep to spend on a chair, especially when there were other children to have to think about. We couldn't spend all our spare change on one child as this was unfair to the others. Special treatment after surgery was torture enough for our other children, especially since we live on a ranch and Crystal got out of doing ranch chores because of surgery. That is still a tough one to get through on a regular basis, because she still can't do ranch chores. The others don't feel household chores are enough for as hard as they work outside. I hate to admit it, but I agree with them. The only thing we bought special was a body pillow. That was Crystal best friend and very affordable. I recommend it highly. Take this for what it is worth. I'm a tight wad and don't spend money without being sure it is worth spending. It comes from being a Rancher's wife.

'til later,
              Nikki

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                Thank you all for your input. I went back through some info. that I had printed out and I found the Chair! It is called the LaFuma recliner. The person mentioned that it is a deck chair. "It is small and light and easy to move". They can be found on lini and cost about $150.
                Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about the kind of chair they will need.
                Best,
                *BILLIE JOE*

Comment

I think that is different from what I was thinking, although I remember seeing that one online also. The one I was talking about looks more like a wooden high chair. I would be concerned about what is considered "light weight", unless you plan on being the one to move it all the time. If you don't plan to move it and don't mind the expense, it sounds good. If you plan on you daughter moving it as she moves, be careful what the weight is as she can probably only lift 5 pounds or so! Good luck, Kris

Comment

My Nicole Was 4 Ft 10 Inches And 74 Lbs. We Tried The Lafuma Recliner Nicole Was Too Small For It She Was Very Uncomfortable. The Chair Kris Is Taking About Is A Hip Chair. Its A High Chair So You Don't Have To Sit Down.
                    Hope This Helps
                    Theresa
                    THERESA

Comment

Working...
                    X