Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post-op pain

Hi,
    My 15 yo son is about 4 months post-op, anterior/posterior fusion. He has been doing well. Last week he starting lying down as soon as he got home from school, something he hasn't done for about a month. He is complaining of a pain in between the shoulder blade and his spine. This is a kid who never once complained through his whole ordeal. The doctors office said it is not unusual to have pains here when they start moving around more and to wait a few days to see if it quiets down. He is still complaining and this morning said he wouldn't take Tylenol because it doesn't do any good.
    Should I get him looked at sooner, rather than later? He does say it is a specific spot that hurts.

Thanks for any info or feedback.

Sorry, my son hasn't had surgery yet, so I don't think I can be of much help. But, I can imagine his body may still be trying to adjust. Is is a sharp pain or a dull ache? Does he start off ok in the morning and the pain gets worse as day progresses? or is he in constant pain? How long has he been back at school? Like your doctors office said, as he is becoming more active it may be putting a bit more strain as his body becomes used to this new, corrected position. But you know your son best, and if your instincts tell you something doesn't seem right I see no harm in contacting the doctors office again. Good luck to you, let us know how things go.

Renee

Comment

My daughter is almost 11 months post-op, so I'll try to help. Is your son carrying all of his books and other school supplies? At 4 months, he shouldn't be lifting/carrying more than about 10 pounds. Is there a visible bump or any changes in the appearance of his back to maybe suggest a problem with the hardware? Did he maybe overdo it and pull a muscle? Sorry for all the questions. I always try to rule out the "simple" things before I panic. Having said that, don't hesitate to take him to the doctor sooner rather than later just to be sure.

Good luck,
      Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
      X