Recovery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery Question

Hi guys, I have another quick question that I was hoping you could help me with please. Well as of today, I'm 5 weeks and 2 days post op (1 month and 7 days), and I've had a good recovery thus far. I've felt better each new day, and done more each week.... Now for my question:

This past weekend happened to be one of the most painful times I've had since I came home... I don't know that I did anything major to trigger the aches and pains, as the last time I stepped out of the house was Wednesday... I could hardly move all weekend, and when I did move, it was agonizing... it hurt to breathe (really deep breaths), it hurt to walk, it hurt to sit... I spoke to my mom, and she said it's probably my body trying to heal, but I don't thinkt that's it. It was actually quite a warm weekend, so I couldn't blame it on the cold either... does anyone know what it could be? I called my doctor, and he said to stay in bed and take my pain medications... *sigh*.. I thought I was getting better... I felt like I was healing, and this was awful for my spirit.

I realize that I might maybe be doing the whole 'whining' thing again, but if anyone has experienced this, or even if you have an idea as to what be the cause of this, could you please reply? Anything to know that I"m not regressing or something...

Thank you.
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

pain/recovery

This is normal. When the nerves wake up it really hurts. My pain doctor gave me Neurontin for nerve pain; it was a Godsend and is not a narcotic. I found narcotics do not work for nerve pain. You might try a pain doctor for a few months. If you do not have adequate pain relief -say- level 5 on a scale of 10 your recovery is impeeded because you need to keep moving to prevent complications.

In adults it takes longer for the body to get used to being straighter than a teen especially with the great correction you got.

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

nerve pain

What does nerve pain feel like?

Comment

Monie,
        I too had days when everything would hurt and it seemed like it was for no good reason. It's scary and frustrating but I learned to do as your doctor suggested and just stay in bed and get rest on those painful and exhausting days. It's amazing what rest will do for a healing body! It is very frustrating though, to feel great one day and then be in a lot of pain the next and feel like you have gone back 10 steps in the process. It is a major roller coaster ride that you're on, but soon you'll have a tough time remembering these tough days!

Obviously, if the pain persists, you'll want to talk to your doctor again though.

Comment

Monie,
          I had my surgery a few days before you on 9-19-05 and I have had the exact same symptoms you have had. I listen to my body and if it says "rest" that is what I do. I have noticed my back having some feeling coming back to it and it sometimes is a sharp, tingly pain. I have resigned myself to the fact that recovery is a slow process and to take it a day at a time, although sometimes I may have two bad days when I seem to rest all the time.
          JudyK

Comment

You'll have ups and downs for a few/several months following the surgery if you're anything like me. It's pretty normal
            I could always tell when my nerves were healing/regenerating because.... OWWW. Doesn't feel good. Usually for me it was a sharp stinging or stabbing pain that lasted a few minutes.
            I also had pretty bad muscle pain and spasam for several months as a result of getting straightened out. When that happened, my muscles felt hard as rocks and my range of motion was really decreased. Muscle relaxers were really helpful for this.
            Also, part of it for me was I'd be feeling good, going along with life like normal, and then just push myself that little bit too far.
            It's disheartening for sure, but it's normal and it will pass.
            Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
            Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
            Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
            Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
            February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
            September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Working...
            X