nerve damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nerve damage?

I'm 13 years old, and was first diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11. I had an unsuccessful spine fusion, and thus had a second one the following year when I was 12. They were each with different doctors. After the first surgery, there were certain patches of skin on the right side of my body where I became "numb," including my breast and lower shoulder blade/mid rib area. My first surgeon said that those nerves were cut during surgery, and that they will grow back. It's been a little over two years since that surgery, and I am getting increasingly concerned: Will they ever grow back, or will I lose my feeling in those areas forever?!

I'll appreciate any information, suggestion, etc., you have.

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy

Hi. My name is Ross. I'm 15 and from Louisiana. I was diagnosed with Scoliosis (41*) and Scheuermann's Kyphosis Disease (88*). I had a successful fusion in September of 2004. In December of 2004, I found out that one of the wires in my upper thoracic area. Either because the broken wire, or because of a during surgery mistake, I developed a rare neurological condition known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The disease is where is where some of the sympathetic nerves of the spine are damaged. Some of the symptoms are hyper-sensitivity to touch to the affected area. You may having feelings of burning, pain, pinching, or stinging. I started to have some of these symptoms, so I went to see my surgeon and he diagnosed me with RSD. So, I was supposed to go to pain management and start on some pain blocks, where they inject anesthesia into the affect area. But because Hurricane Rita hit my area and destroyed everything that I own and damaged many of the buildings, I have not been able to start my pain treatment. So, just so you know, there others out there with nerve problems. If you ever want to talk or anything, I have MSN, AIM, and Yahoo Messaging.
    My email addy is hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com

Take care and contact me if you need anything.
    God Bless, Ross
    Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
    www.myspace.com/ross40728
    Had surgery on 9/20/04
    81* Scheuermann's Disease
    40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
    U Rod Inserted
    Fused from T2-L3

Comment

I've been told that it might come back, and it might not.
      For nearly a year following my surgery, I had some very painful nerve damage on the front of my shoulders. I'm guessing it's from how I was positioned for surgery. But at not quite 2 years post op, they once again feel normal.
      My entire back and sides were numb, as was my bone graft site and an area wrapping around the side of my hip and down the outside and front of my hip and thigh.
      Now the areas that are still numb on my back are about a hand width on either side of my scar. The numbness from my bone graft site remains the same.
      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

i had anterior surgery this summer (incision on my left hand side) and i have a numb patch on my left thigh (which initially felt like a burning pain) and my stomach is numb too. it should sort itself out in two years or so, nerves take a long time to regenerate. are you feeling an increase in sensitivity at all or is it the same as it has always been?
        diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
        braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
        fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
        Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
        scoliosis support forum

Comment

Originally posted by marmyte
          i had anterior surgery this summer (incision on my left hand side) and i have a numb patch on my left thigh (which initially felt like a burning pain) and my stomach is numb too. it should sort itself out in two years or so, nerves take a long time to regenerate. are you feeling an increase in sensitivity at all or is it the same as it has always been?
          No, there isn't any sensitivity there--it's just numb. Like I'll pinch that area and won't feel any pain.

So my question is will those nerves ever regenerate?

Comment

Some will and some won't. You will most likely be able to almost everything or everything again in time. I know that from my first surgery in 97, I still have numb parts from the anterior scar. Now that I think about it, I have had three surgeries in that area so maybe that's why, but even before the other two it was still numb. I know how annoying it is! I can't feel my back! It can actually be a little dangerous, I've burnt my back and didn't know. I only found out because I was just out of the shower and going back to my room and my Mom saw it! Now I always check my back and touch things before my back goes against it. Last year, in school, there was this pole that was burning hot, and I leaned against it without knowing it was hot, but then my hand touched the pole and I practically jumped away! Back to your question, you will be able to feel again, it just takes time. From one of my surgeries I was not able to feel part of my arm and now it is normal. I think that it depends on the place and how long it's been since surgery. It could take years and years or just a few months. Wow, this is a bit of a long post for such a short question!

Comment

I'm Hannah, and i am 17. I had surgery in Feb of 2004..an anterior spinal fusion. I know what ur talking about with the numb spots i had 2 spots on my stomach, mabe 3. They did go away about 9 mos later, and they didnt hurt at all. There is hope! ( arnt they sooo annoying though )
              8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

it's funny that i posted in here the other day and then last night i was woken up twice by twinges in my scar - i think it's the nerves healing because it was similar to the pain i had in my leg while i was in hospital. it went away quite quickly but it's annoying that it happened and i'm not too keen on the idea of it re-occurring at some point but it's a small price to pay for a straight spine i guess
                diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
                fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
                Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
                scoliosis support forum

Comment

still numb after 18 months

My daughter has numb patches on her stomach and legs, most of her back is numb as well. She is 18 months post op now and has not noticed any changes to the numbness. Everyone heals differently so I guess it is just wait and see what happens to you. It can be reassuring to hear other peoples progress though and use it as a guide for yourself.
                  Cheryl

Comment

i was told it would come back after 2 years because thats apparantly how long it takes for the nerves to regrow....
                    im really scared now that it wont come back.... are there any numb-patch success stories cos im really scared?
                    sheena xx

Comment

I'm 14 years old now. I still have those numb patches of skin, and I've discovered that there are parts along the upper half of my spine are are also numb (I doubt they recently developed there, I just didn't notice them before). I try to be grateful, and I am. I can walk, I can go to school, etc. Yes I am blessed. But sometimes it's so hard for me to know that I might never be able to feel parts of my body (skin is important) again. I've gotten over the fact that I won't be able to play pro-football (not that I wanted to anyways) for example, but some days I just get depressed.. Does anyone have any encouraging words? Thank you so much.

P.S. I have no idea why I chose "punkette" as my username, because it's not like me at all, just to let you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X