Bursitis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bursitis!

Well, I've had my doctors appointment this past monday in what I thought was a screw sticking out of my back. It turned out to be bursitis! Heh! Who would've thunk! However, I'm curious if this bump on my back will go away on its own or not? It is painful, but the doctor stated that there is a bunch of inflamation going on and that this sometimes happens. And not to mention that the weather up here in maryland isn't helping my situation all that much either. Well, if anyone else has had this problem I'd love to hear a few pointers on how you've dealt with this.

Thank you very much!

Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

I don't know if it's what I have now, the ortho also thinks that I may have a loose screw as he will check it once I get surgery for my broken rod, but it could also be bursitis. I have been having this pain ever since I spent two days of doing tests(bone scans) last April, the machine was so hot and I was on it for hours

I think it takes time to heal, my mom has had it for some time on and off as well. I did have it for a long time after my original surgery and that's why they took off the right/upper hook after a year and four months, you'll see it if goes away for you though. Some anti inflammatories helped a bit but I was having too many bad side effects that I had to stop, it was bad for my health. Are you on pain meds?
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I know that sometimes when people have bursitis in knees, elbows, and some other joints, that Doctors sometimes just drain (or remove) the offending bursa sac. Has that been mentioned to you at all? I think they just stick a needle in it. I wonder if the same for the spine?
      Meg is Spinewhine
      31 years old with thoracic curve
      Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
      Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
      http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had bursitis in my shoulder for a couple months. Besides the pain it was weak to lift. I used a TENS unit a few times a day for a few days and it went away completely. This was years ago! A tens unit emits a very small microcurrent to the affected area. I'm not sure how/why it works. It's also used by some surgeons to heal wounds.

Comment

Originally posted by SpineWhine
          I know that sometimes when people have bursitis in knees, elbows, and some other joints, that Doctors sometimes just drain (or remove) the offending bursa sac. Has that been mentioned to you at all? I think they just stick a needle in it. I wonder if the same for the spine?
          yes that has been offered to me. If it doesn't go away by my next appointment scheduled for January he will take it out. I don't know how he would extract it though.. he never really explained it in detail. He just told me to take some anti-inflammatories. And yes I am once again on pain medication. Valium, Vicodin, and Ibuprofin 800. The downside to the post op period. Well, at least I've hit the 3 month mark with no serious problems. That's an upside.
          25 yr old female =^_^=
          Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Is bursitis like a burning hot liquid sensation with tickly+itchy feeling.
            When i had it at my shoulder blades, i totally could not carry anything. It happened for like a week and it went away.

Comment

I guess you could say that. It burns and it hurts really really bad. With mine I get a sharp pain stabbing pain where the screw is. And often times I get spasms that hurt as well. I don't know if those are the 'common' symptoms of bursitis, but that's what I've got. hope it helps ya out.
              25 yr old female =^_^=
              Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

bursitis

I had that early on near my hardware. My doctor called it a "bursa" which grows over the hardware and said if it didn't go away it could be injected. I used the TENS machine right over it - it helped. I also used helichsysm oil in Jojoba oil as a carrier. I rubbed this over painful areas and it really helped. I found this remedy on another scoliosis site.

It eventually went away.

Karen
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

thanks for the good info! I'm going to have to try that!
                  25 yr old female =^_^=
                  Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Bursitis

Hi there! Just want to mention that I've had bursitis in my right shoulder for about 4 or 5 years... I walk around "holding" my shoulder a lot... It seems to "come and go" and it's manageable. It's very common...
                    ~ Irene ~
                    Lumbosacral Scoliosis: Corrective surgery (12 hours anterior and posterior) on June 19, 2002 at age 56; Surgeon: Lawrence G. Lenke; Hospital: Barnes in St. Louis, Missouri; Pre-Op 58/56 degrees "S" curve; Post-Op: 40/33 degrees; Fusion: T-11 to S1

Comment

HI
                      I just found this website and can't believe all the things that are on here that apply to me! It's amazing since I'm the only person I know with scoliosis!! I was told 10 years ago that the throbbing burning pain at the top of my herrington rod was bursitis and if it didn't get better to come back for a cortizone shot. I never did cause he said the shots hurt just as much and I didn't know if he even knew what he was talking about ( he was just my family doc)! I am considering it now though cause I'll tell you what it hurts everyday, I'm just so used to it that I rarely complain anymore! Just get my hubby to massage it out once in a while.
                      I was 14 when I had surgery for a 49 degree curve and am now 34! Now I am going to call my doc for a referral to see if it really is bursitis or a bursa as someone called it and get some treatment. thanks!!
                      Kristin
                      Last edited by Kristin; 11-18-2005, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Cortisone shots

They don't hurt. My pain in between the right shoulder blade and my spine was taken care of for years when they took out my hook there. Now it is back and as I will get revsion surgery in December, I will see if it caused by something else, loose hardware or if it's just bursitis. The thing about shots, they just take care of the pain for a few days or weeks.
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi sweetness514,

Thanks for your reply, my pain is between my right shoulder blade and the top of the rod on the right side of my spine as well!! This makes me think I should have been getting some follow ups over the years just to check on things!! Am I the only one who wasn't really ever checked again after the surgical followups?

Kristin

Comment

Follow up checkups

You're not the only one to not have had any. After my surgery, they told me sayonara-unless I have problems. I had the problem with the hook hurting in that area the year after, so they took it out. After that I decided to see another ortho, this one is not as specialized in performing surgery for scoliosis, but he helped me more in terms of understanding my pains(neck, etc), and even solving them(exercises). He told me that we should get checked out every few years, meaning get an Xray to see if all is in place.

Comment

Working...
                            X