Risks assoc. with rib hump removal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risks assoc. with rib hump removal??

Hi there - just wanted to know what increased risks there with having a rib hump removed as part of the scoliosis correction surgery. The Dr. told me that grafting bone from the hip was the gold standard, but bone could also be taken from my ribs to be used for the spinal fusion. He did say though that while this cosmetically would help get rid of the hump, and make me less self conscious of it. But he did say there are more risks involved with it. AS I was still digesting some of the info, I failed to ask more specifically what exactly the risks were.

So... in weighing whether the cosmetic benefits are worth the risks involved - what the heck are the risks??
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Meg, I was told one of the risks to having the rib hump reduction surgery was that it could cause some decreased pulmonary issues. Plus most are done through an incision on the side of the chest. I did not have the rib hump reduction but I did have anterior/posterior surgery. The anterior was very painful during recovery. I have heard of a few being done through the posterior incision but I think most are done through the anterior incision. For you that would be another big incision site, more recovery pain and time, and possible decreased pulmonary functions.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Rib Hump

Is the pulomary reduction permanent?

Sue

Comment

The doctor said sometimes it is. I don't know what would determine that. Just from having the anterior surgery I have some pulmonary function loss. It is still getting better little bit by little bit.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

my daughter had surgery last year (nov. 3rd will be a year) and had ribs removed due to a large rib hump. I am not certain what extra risks were involved, but she did great and had no problems at all having this done. She also had this done with a posterior fusion only, she did not have to have anterior surgery as well.
          Any questions feel free to ask
          Jennifer

Comment

Working...
          X