Taking CELEBREX for bachache/pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking CELEBREX for bachache/pain?

A surgeon highly recommended I take 200mg once daily all the time for my backache. I'm not taking anything now because it's not that bad. I endure the discomfort. He claims that I don't need to endure it and that it's very safe to take. Anyone out there taking it?

hi

i tried that for a while didn't do anything for me but effects all people different. My discs were to far gone and curves to big. hope things work out for you Dave
    Hello I'm Dave
    34 years old
    2002 C5-C7 Fusion with plate and screws.

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
    65 degree before 37 degree After Thoracic
    Rods and Screws

L3-L4 and L5-S1 took discs out fusied with rods and screws.

Had 11 1/4 hour surgery spent 6 days in coma and 7 days in heart ICU. Had a tough surgery don't want to go through that again.

Comment

Yes, I have been on it for almost three years now. I take it twice a day, 200/mg. each tablet. I have to say, it does help me quite a bit. I have had absolutely no side effects from it as well. For me it works! LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

MaryAnn,
        I have been taking Celebrex nearly since it hit the market. I love it. I have no side effects and since I have been on it for several years now, I think if I was going to have a problem with it I should have by now.
        SandyC

Comment

I thought they banned Celebrex in the US and Canada along with some other anti-inflammation drugs?? It's been linked to heart problems. Anyways, i took it before like 3 pills a day (???MG) and it doesn't seem to give me pain relief just my opinion. I stopped and i don't take nothing now no tylenol/advil, i don't want to cause harm to any of my internal organs.

Comment

Justin,
            You are thinking of Vioxx that was banned, not Celebrex
            SandyC

Comment

It was Vioxx, and only problems were with people who took more than 400 mg a day. Under 400 mg per day supposedly works great with few issues.
              Meg is Spinewhine
              31 years old with thoracic curve
              Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
              Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
              http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback. Mary Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Justin
                  I thought they banned Celebrex in the US and Canada along with some other anti-inflammation drugs?? It's been linked to heart problems. Anyways, i took it before like 3 pills a day (???MG) and it doesn't seem to give me pain relief just my opinion. I stopped and i don't take nothing now no tylenol/advil, i don't want to cause harm to any of my internal organs.
                  Justin...

I thought the same thing, as they were thinking seriously of taking it off the market after that whole Vioxx/cox 2 mess...I am one who was on Vioxx and when they took it off the market, it was RIGHT on time. I had been on it for over three months and after that two month mark, I seriously wasn't feeling well, had heart palpitations and attacks in the middle of the night, it was awful Of course the ortho told me that it musn't have been the Vioxx and then put me on Bextra, wich was taken off the market a few weeks later and I was smart enough not to take it Vioxx does help but mostly for nerve pains, it didn't help me for my surgery pains.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Celebrex and baby asperin

Had my pain management appointment on Friday. I've been on Celebrex for almost three years now (200/mg 2 x's/day) and he suggested I start taking a baby asperin twice a week because of my age (51). Just an fyi..... LYNN
                    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                    2000 Partial Rod Removal
                    2001 Right Scapular Resection
                    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I have bursitis and sciatica so I got Celebrex(200mg a day) prescribed today, will see if it works. The doctor told me that it is a cox 2 but the molecules are a bit different.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

my mother takes celebrex

My 62 year old mother takes Celebrex everyday, but its mainly for her osteoporosis-related pain, not her scoliosis.

Comment

On Celebrex since Vioxx

I was on Vioxx for several years for DDD in my neck and lumbar spine; they switched me over to Celebrex when it was banned. I didn't think it helped as much until I tried going off of it and WOW! THE PAIN! so have stayed on it.

I asked my dr. if there was anything any better which he could give me and he said no.

I will have to go off it 5 days before my surgery on July 24, however, and will not take it afterwards because it stops the fusion process.

Deb

Comment

Celebrex is a COX-2 inhibitor, too

The advice you got from your doctor is correct. Both Celebrex and Vioxx are COX-2 (cyclooxygenase-2) inhibitors. Yes, there were some serious problems in some patients with Vioxx, but as usual, greedy shysters and moronic media mouths blew everything out of proportion and whipped the public into a frothing fear frenzy. The incidence of problems with Vioxx were only in a few patients (so far), and, yes, were at the very highest doses. For some reason, Vioxx increased the levels of thromboxane A2 relative to prostacyclin; TxA2 promotes clotting by constricting blood vessels and causing platelets to "stick" together.

Celebrex is still safe as far as I know of, but there are now studies that are looking at whether or not this is specific to Vioxx or is general to COX-2 inhibitors. To date, Vioxx is the only drug with any kind of definitive link. I'm sure there are lots of hucksters out there chomping at the bit to file class-action lawsuits for Celebrex users too. To date, there have not been any studies linking Celebrex to the same problems as Vioxx. at least not to my knowledge.

My mother has taken Celebrex for years now for arthritis and has not had any problems with it. She says it's been a godsend.
                            28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor
                              The advice you got from your doctor is correct. Both Celebrex and Vioxx are COX-2 (cyclooxygenase-2) inhibitors. Yes, there were some serious problems in some patients with Vioxx, but as usual, greedy shysters and moronic media mouths blew everything out of proportion and whipped the public into a frothing fear frenzy. The incidence of problems with Vioxx were only in a few patients (so far), and, yes, were at the very highest doses. For some reason, Vioxx increased the levels of thromboxane A2 relative to prostacyclin; TxA2 promotes clotting by constricting blood vessels and causing platelets to "stick" together.
                              and in addition... some of those people who had serious problems while taking Vioxx (notice... i said while..not due to) were people at risk for cardiovascular complications anyway...

there are lots of drugs that are on the market which have serioius adverse effects in small amount of people... and that doesn't make it unsafe for everyone.
                              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                              2005 - T50, L31
                              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Working...
                              X