new member, daughter in Wilmington brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member, daughter in Wilmington brace

Hi everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum...I can't wait for my daughter to join the teen forum. Laura is 15 but hasn't hit puberty yet. She has a 30 degree thoracolumbar right curve. She just got her brace yesterday. It's a Wilmington brace and she's supposed to wear it at night. I'm a little curious about this because most of your posts talk about all day wear. Also, the man that casted her said she has an unusual curve...that they are usually to the left. Any body else heard that? Anyway, I'm certainly glad to have found you all. Thanks, Peg

welcome to the forums

it's only slightly unusual to have a right lumbar curve - the majority of lumbar curves go to the left (mine did) but scoliosis has many forms and there is relatively little known about it. i'm trying to tell you it's not necessarily a bad thing that your daughter's curve goes to the left

how much a brace should be worn depends on your doctor - they obviously believe overnight is enough for Laura. do you know what her risser sign is? a lot of people here have worn braces or have kids who wore braces 23/7, but i only had to wear mine 16 hours per day. it varies from doctor to doctor. if when you go for a checkup you're not happy with laura's progress, don't hesitate to get a second opinion
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Peg, my daughter also wears a Wilmington Jacket and has to wear it 23/7 (night and all day except for one hour for showering). Have you had success with finding clothes to hide it? My daughter's jacket makes her completely flat in the front & it sticks out away from her body. She feels like a football player. How is your daughter dealing with it? I hope better than mine! Is your daughter able to sleep with it? Mine rips her off in the middle of the night. She hasn't gotten used to it yet.
      Martha
      Mother of Laura, Age 19
      Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
      Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
      Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
      Fused T2-L2
      Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
      Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
      Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
      OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
      X