Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with Schuemanns Disease(Kyphosis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with Schuemanns Disease(Kyphosis)

Hello everyone,

I have a 70 degree thoratic curve with signs of scoliosis to the left. Surgery was mentioned but of course with all the malpractice suits, I was given the resources to research. The pain is getting worse and at age 44 I have been dealing with it for many years and I am leaning towards surgery so any and all replys on surgery are greatly appreciated.

www.iscoliosis.com is a great website but has great success stories on the latest surgery but the problem is they are children who tend to heal much faster. Anyways it mention new techiques such as VAST
    They actually cut 4-5 incisions and enter through the side with microscopes and perform either anterior, posterior or both.

I should stop writing and come to the point sorry. Questions I have

Does the Spinal surgery actually take the pain away with time?
    With this new surgery, I am actually reading 6-8 weeks recovery time Could that be true?
    How long would I need someone to change the dressings?
    Well thats it for now....its now almost 11:00 California time

Good luck to everyone! ANd to think 12years ago I actually had a Othorpedic Dr. tell me the pain is due to depression All I can say is don't give up!

hi curvy

there's a link to another forum in my signature - it's a coincidence that i went to visit a friend from this forum in hospital last friday. he's 36 and had surgery last tuesday (18th october) and he's going to be discharged tomorrow! he had regular posterior surgery plus the anterior technique you mentioned, and he has schuermanns too.

i had surgery this summer and because i'm 18 and only had a short anterior fusion i recovered very quickly (i saw my surgeon this week and he said i can return completely to normal now) but my friend who's just had surgery has taken a little longer, though all of us on the forum have been astounded at his progress. a lot of people find a new determination kicks in and there are goals you can aim for to help you through.

surgery has alleviated my pain completely (my lumbar curve was 52 degrees pre op) and i know that in cases more severe than mine, surgery is better to have when you're younger (44 is considered young - my surgeon has operated on 80 year olds!) because without wanting to frighten you, if it continues you get worse, you risk more pain and greater loss of lung function.
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Curvy,

It is all different as far as taking all the pain away, since it is a complex procedure and it also depends on how much they can reduce your curve. But it's for sure that the pain from scoliosis will be lessened.

As far as healing it is again different for everybody, but the healing from a big scoliosis surgery is about 3 months to a year/since the bone graft takes a year to heal. It's all about time and exercises.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Curvy,

I had a 79 degree thorasic curve and a 44 lumbar curve. I had Anterior/Posterior surgery April 2004. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and didn't go back to work until 5 months post-op. When you do your research you'll notice that most recovery times are for a full year. I havn't heard of anyone having the VAST surgery. Ortho spine website has some good info. Also go on the search on this website and you'll find lots of good info.
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Thanks for the replys everyone Marmtye, Theresa, and Sweetness

Theresa, how are you doing now? Did you have severe pain before and did the surgery take a lot of it away.

How long did you need someone to help you such as changing the dressings and things.

I hope everything is ok!!!

These forums are amazing...and to think I suffered so long. Hopefully with enhancements in technology, this will benefit us.
          I have not truely come to terms with the thought of surgery but finding it easier with these forums.

I was reading one story who attached a diary of his ordeal and thought what a great idea.

Well time to go,

Hope to hear from more of you soon,

Take care

Comment

Surgery Feb 10 :Posterior 8hrs

Hi all,

Had my surgery so if there are any questions feel free to ask me.

Experience: First couple of weeks Rolling Muscle spasms were very painful-- Frozen peas wrapped in a hand towel applied 15 minutes 4-5 times a day really helped.

Meds: tried several combos in the hospital...said they did not want to send me home with morphine Hydrocodone 2 every 4 hrs and 1 Oxycontin every 12 hrs. seems to help

Tools that helps;
            Hospital bed cant imagine getting comfortable without it. Had to pay rental because Dr. would not write a prescription...I need to complain about that
            Losts of pillows small and large
            Walker first couple of weeks
            Raised toilet seat with handles
            Two grabbers
            Bath sponge with handle
            music, music, music in any form
            Freinds and family with visits once a week.

Today marks 1 mo for me Dr gave me 3 months out of work...every day is a challenge but been following pretty much like everyone else...I could have one great day and the next feels like i took two steps back!
            I am very swollen and somtimes feel like the surgery was worthless...hopefully the swellen will come down
            I have my 6 weeks checkup March 28th...hopefully it will be a good checkup.

Comment

Hi, I have kyphosis 80 % & my curves are 60/60. My surgery will be in August... I get very achey early evening if I've been up on my feet a lot.. I'm 46 Lynne

Comment

is this kyphosis?

Hi! I had my surgeries in Oct. and that makes me about 5 months post-op now. Before them, i would walk leaning forward from my hips. Afterwards, that had improved, but i was using a cane when i first returned to work. Lately, within the last month or so, i find myself leaning forward again. I really try to concentrate on my gait and posture as i walk. I clasp my hands together behind me and push my shoulders back to try to correct this leaning habit i have. I also walk with an obvious twist because my right side is so much weaker than my left. My right hip joint feels like its going out with every step. Could the return of this posture be due to failure of the fusion? I've worked on physical therapy exercises and i do water exercises several times a week as well to try to strengthen my legs and back. I don't want to walk like an old lady again already....!!

(i'm NOT old, of course, still a very spring-chickenish 53 )

Comment

Working...
                X