No announcement yet.

Help - How big is may scoliosis :(( ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - How big is may scoliosis :(( ??

In the beginning i must apologize for my english (its not my national language) so please be nice .

When i was 14y child i had diagnosed severe scoliosis. The doctors tell me to practice swimming what of course i did but that doesnt help(.
    Now i'm 28y old and as you see on foto i have scoliosis type II . I would be gratefull if someone tell me about it and how much degres i have. What should i do ?

Well, Scoliotic... Maybe a better picture would help. I'm guessing it's up-side-down or something. Anyone wanna get out the protractor? My first impression is that it doesn't look completely terrible, but in fact, all scoliosis is... Anyone with a best guess?

-BaDnOn

Comment

dear scoliotic,

i guess less than 25 * , but u better check to doctor

Comment

Doctor doesnt tell me how much degres i have
        I think its much more than 25* because it is caled " Scoliosis TH/dex I/II".

So type "II" means that my scoliosis * is between 30* and 60*.
        I have also 1,5 cm hump on the right side.

Comment

Maybe another ortho could measure it for you? It really isn't that bad, maybe under 30.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

rib humps don't necessarily depend on the degree of the curve, they're more about how much your spine has rotated, hence you can have a relatively slight scoliosis with a comparatively substantial rib hump
            diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
            braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
            fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
            Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
            scoliosis support forum

Comment

Maybe you have right and my scoliosis isn'n that severe but i have also big(in my opinion) lordosis and beacase it i feel very uncomfortable. I look very funny, i walk funny and have problems with equilibrium when swimming/walking. I noticed also that when i put something in my right boot i have fever problems with walking. Suppose my hip is not symmetrical.

In november i will have visit at good orthopaedist. I hope that he will say me more , especially about my * curves

Fortunately i have not pain problems yet.
              But what it will be when my age comes about 60y ?

What can I make to prolong my health ?
              What to do to prevent the more far progression of twist ?

Scoliotic
              Last edited by Scoliotic; 10-26-2005, 03:51 PM.

Comment

unfortunately as you're 28, you can't do much to prevent progression anymore. bracing is only effective and should only be used when patients are still growing because otherwise it can have a negative effect. it depends what the doctor says about the degree of your curvature as to whether it will progress or not. if curves are under 40 degrees in a skeletally mature adult, they are thought to be unlikely to progress. it's a bit of a wait and see what the doctor says situation
                diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                scoliosis support forum

Comment

I know i could not do much, but could i do anything that can help me( some excercises , swiming etc.. )??. I had read publication that shows woman at age about 40 and she reduced(non-Surgical) curves form 47* to 27*.

Comment

i have to say i have no idea how that woman did that, it sounds highly unlikely to happen. do you know how credible this reference is? i know that's not what you want to hear, but it's so rare for non-surgical techniques to work in skeletally mature patients
                    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Yes i know is hardly to belive and i don't belive it. But its so big pleasure to have any hope .
                      The worst thing is that when i was diagnosed scoliosis(14y old) my spine wasn't rotated and i and my parents didn't realize how serious disease it is. I hit to orthopaedist who dealt with composition broken bones mainly and he told me to swim and do excercises. So i did symetric excersices (not to much) and swimming (much more). My orto never tell me to carry corset even when my spine progressed so I wasted my chance. Maybe if i hit to someone who dealt with spine my curves and rotation would be now smaller...
                      I know that cannot change anything but i have the remorse now :/

Comment

The film is upside down, and there's really no way of knowing how big the curve is without looking at the entire spine. You really need long cassette (36") films taken. Was this film taken from a standing position?

By the way, I can't remember ever hearing of scoliosis curves classified by something like "Type II."

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes the film was taken from standing position. I try make tomorrow better foto.

There are four types of scoliosis:
                          I - 0-30° (Cobb)
                          II - 31-60°
                          III - 61,-90°
                          IV - above 90°
                          Last edited by Scoliotic; 11-02-2005, 06:48 AM.

Comment

that's bizarre, i've never heard of that type classification before. it's usually defined by when your scoliosis occurred or was diagnosed
                            diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                            scoliosis support forum

Comment

I'm thinking that it may be specific to Poland.

--Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                              X