Fibromyalgia and scoliosis surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibromyalgia and scoliosis surgery

I am 46 and considering surgery for my s curve --T 63, L74. I have fibromyalgia also and it is hard to tell sometimes whether the pain is from my scoliosis or the fibromyalgia. Between the two, I am pretty much disabled from working. Would really like to hear from anyone with fibromyalgia who has had scoliosis surgery. Did you heal up normally after surgery and how is your pain level post-op? Appreciate any info.

Deb

Hi there fellow Michigander!

It was so weird that you posted this, as I just came on the forum to ask a very similar question. I am in the process of having Drs. determine whether I have an auto-immune disorder (I have heard mention of rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and fibromyalgia as strong contenders.) So I am also wondering if my pain is related to that, and not just the scoliosis. ANd then, if I have surgery, will I have a harder time recovering, or be even more prone to significant problems later due to the hardware. (More probelms than consider "normal")

I hope you get a good answer! Also - doesn't this Michigan weather just turn the screws on the pain. I lived in Atlanta for a while, and didn't nearly have the issues that I have living in the wet and cold.

Linda - do you know if there is any research on this?
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

There is some interesting info here (your post made me do some quick research...)

http://www.hss.edu/Conditions

I clicked on fibromylagia, RA, scoliosis and various other inflammatory disease and surgery links and there was some info to be had.
      Meg is Spinewhine
      31 years old with thoracic curve
      Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
      Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
      http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

What happened to me was about a year and a half pre op, I had a burn out associated with stomach problems(acid reflux), fatigue, severe insomnia and overall pain. My back at that time was not causing me any pain, and I could work 10-12 hour shifts on very hard cement floors without any problems. I stopped working(b/c of the burnout), and since I was so fatigued and sick I layed down a lot more than usual. Well at some point my back muscles became weak and that is when the scoliosis pain was more and more evident and I had the surgery. Besides that, they thought the pain I had in my legs, hips, knees and feet were maybe due to the scoliosis or some rhumatoid disease. It wasn't the scoliosis since 6 months post op I still had the same pains and it wasn't a rhumatoid disease either, since I finally realized that it could be all those hours working on those hard flloors with my flat feet that caused it, and got orthotics made by a podiatrist. The pain was GONE as soon as I started wearing them. Sometimes it's not easy but we have to search and search and be our own doctor, as the solution maybe not be as hard to find and the problem not what we think it might me.
        Last edited by sweetness514; 11-27-2005, 02:26 PM.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Great Post Sweetness ~ I agree, we all need to do our part in figuring out possible solutions to our problems - afterall - no one knows our bodies as well as we do and there is so much info out there if a person takes the time to research - not to mention all the great people who are willing to help!!

Comment

Deb,
            I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 2 years ago. This past January I found out my Harrington rod from surgery in 1986 was broken and displaced. I had revision surgery 9-19-05. I am thinking the fibromyalgia diagnosis was incorrect for me, and it was my scoliosis all along that was causing my pain symptoms of neck, shoulder and back pain. I am having the normal post-op aches and pains now and I am currently not on any of my fibromyalgia meds (elavil, arthritis pill and prevacid) I am doing OK. I have actually been off the meds for about a year and haven't noticed any worsening of symptoms.
            judyk

Comment

it can be cured

I have seen 2 patients with fibromyalgia cured by correcting Si-dysfunction, correcting hip subluxations, correcting spine subluxations, correcting shoulder subluxations and correcting "os occipitale".

And I know over 200 fibromyalgia patients that have been cured by the same way... I have one session on video too! But no-one believes it.

Comment

Can I get more info?

Dear expatient:

Can I get further information on treatment for this?

Deb

Comment

here

Originally posted by Cakedec
                  Dear expatient:

Can I get further information on treatment for this?

Deb
                  Problem is, that the information is everywhere...
                  Here are some SIJD-links:
                  http://www.kalindra.com/ShawSIJ.pdf
                  http://www.healing.org/only-3.html
                  http://www.kalindra.com/faq.htm
                  http://www.independenceback.com/causes.htm

I have also many links to PubMed and other documents on this area. There are a lot of them in Spine and Lancet, but unfortunately those are unreachable to me...

It starts from that SIJD. Then hip subluxations are one cause for pain in legs and hip area. SIJD causes scholiosis: all subluxations in your spine follows that scholiosis and is the reason for back pain, tension neck, lordosis,...
                  Then shoulder subluxations cause pain in arms and finally "Os occipitale" subluxation causes headacke. Once those all are corrected, pain is gone!

Chiropractics, naprapaths and other manipulation treatment correct these subluxations, but they don't hold. The pain comes back. Why? Because of this SIJD! It's no use to correct the symptoms if you don't correct the cause of them!

There are some documents from these subluxations in PubMed and a lot of them elsewhere in chiropractic and osteopathian pages.

I know some cured MS and fibromyalgia patients. And a lot of cured back pain patients. I am writing a document from this, but first I write it in finnish language to prove this to doctors here in Finland.

I am not that healer, but a healed back pain patient. I have seen 20 doctors, been on all kind of test from "thyroid gland" test to neurologic tests. No help. I've been on naprapath, chiropractic, acupunction more 50 times! They gave me help only for few days... then I heard about this "healer", and tried him. I have been now 6 months without pain and done whole lot of sports during these months, more than during last 15 years all together...
                  Last edited by expatient; 11-27-2005, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X