Does Anyone have troubles sleeping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone have troubles sleeping?

I don't know about any of you, but most of my pain comes when I am sleeping. There is rarely a night where I sleep through the whole night without waking up from discomfort. And to go along with that, it is even rarer that I wake up in the morning without back pain.

I was wondering if anyone has tried sleeping on a tempurpedic mattress and if it makes a difference.

If no one has tried that, what other measures can be taken so I can sleep through the night and wake up without pain.

I don't want to have to resort to drugs... I don't even like taking advil

Any suggestions?
    "My advice to you is not to wonder why or whither, but to enjoy your ice cream while it is still on your plate."
    - Author unknown

23 years old, contiplating surgery.
    Diagnosed at 12, never been braced.

My Blog:

http://backetyyak.blogspot.com/

sleeping problems

You can try a medium firm mattress and pillow to give your neck and back support. That should help, if it's too soft it doesn't support your body. It also depends how you sleep, if your crunched up or sleeping in awkward positions, that doesn't help much. I'm on prescription medicine motrin 800 mg. I'm supposed to take that 2x a day, but I take one 30 mins b4 I go to sleep at night so I can get some sleep. Oh, the boob subject.....mine are 2 different cup sizes, it's kinda amuzing one is way bigger than the other. I hate bras, they never stay on my shoulder and I have to go shopping to see what is right for me. I've accepted myself as lopsided and try to compensate for it so no one knows that I have problems, even guys that I've went out with.

Comment

wow!

i did not know haveing to sleep in a brace is so hard! I just found out i need one tues. So i really like that message. Once again this forum helps me soooo much! thanks all!
      needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

That is just sleeping noramally... not with a brace
        "My advice to you is not to wonder why or whither, but to enjoy your ice cream while it is still on your plate."
        - Author unknown

My Blog:

Comment

I bought a memory foam mattress. It helps, not completely, but I'm not in as much pain as I was before. I bought it off of overstock.com, the 3 inch thick mattress. I hope you can find something that helps.
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Try stretching before bed

Hi--

I have a severe double s curve and the same problem. Think our muscles get cramped up quicker when we are sleeping, so our bodies rouse us to keep moving to relieve it. Usually my back is stiff and tight by the end of the day and find if I do some stretching and/or yoga type exercises to stretch out the back right before bed it really helps. You may want to warm up first on a stationery bike or treadmil just to warm up your muscles, then stretch. Don't do so much that you get overstimulated before bed because that won't help sleep, but if your muscles aren't tight before you go to bed, you can sleep better and longer than if they are.

Some natural things you can try are magnesium/malic acid, B-vitamins, herbal teas like chamomile, hot bath, etc.

If nighttime pain is interfering with your sleep so you can't function during the day, it is time to tell your dr. and see if he has some suggestions.

Good luck,

Deb

Comment

Thank you for the helpful tips!!!
              - Author unknown

My Blog:

Comment

briarrose

i sure wish i had a matress like you, briarrose! wow sooooo cool

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

You should get one! They're not that much ($130). http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=884135

I thought if a doctor recommended it then it could be a tax write off. Mine didn't.
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees
                  December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2
                  Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Tempurpedic

Emmaleah,
                    I actually have a Tempurpedic mattress and highly recommend it. I have it a little over two years and look forward to my bed every night. It has helped me sleep so much better as well as getting out of bed in the morning . I used to have such bad low back pain but it is so much better since we bought the new bed. I don't know where you live but we bought it at 1-800 Mattres and they delivered the next day and the price was the cheapest. Some say it takes a while to get used to is - my husband being one of them (w/no back pain) but I loved it from the beginning and I'm the one with the back problems. Two of my family members purchased one since as a result of my recommendation and they also are very pleased with their results. Good luck! LYNN
                    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                    2000 Partial Rod Removal
                    2001 Right Scapular Resection
                    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Ya know, I really don't have trouble sleeping, unless it's been a really bad day. When I sleep, I'm in dreamland, and there I don't have scoliosis. The desert grows green and the hills are alive with happiness. It's when I'm awake that the hell begins. I do wish you the best of luck.

-BaDnOn

Comment

wow!

taht was so cool! you should be a poet... seriously!

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

LOL, yeah, Badnon sure is a funny and interesting person, his posts are cool to read
                          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

ha

lol that was pretty funny!

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

i had a lot of trouble sleeping right before my surgery. I wore a brace for 7 years and got so used to sleeping with it i had a hard time sleeping without it!! bfore my surgery(anterior fusion)the bottom of my ribcage and the top of my hip would touch!! (i sleep on my side) i agree with Cakedec, the muscles really cramp up! after my surgery the pain kinda went away, but last year ( one year post-op) i went through like, 5 months of back pain every single morning!! advil really helps bcause it helps relax the muscles. i dont like takeing medicine, but it really really really helps!
                              hope i didnt confuzzle anyone
                              8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X