PDA

View Full Version : hospital beds vs "old familiar"

crookedspine
10-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Hello, everyone. It is now time (probably past time) for us to think about whether we should rent a hospital bed for when I get home from the hospital...or not. I need advice from all who have been through what I will be going through in the next 3 weeks. Linda

NURSE_MELISSA
10-19-2005, 07:34 PM
I Had Surgery 16 Years Ago And No I Personally Did Not Have A Hospital Bed. With The Brace And All It Was Difficult To Get In And Out Of Any Bed. I Kind Of Had To Roll. The Couch Was The Best Place For Me To Easily Get Up.

monie
10-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok, I have to admit.. the hospital bed was awesome! It was incredibly comfortable (well, as comfortable as anything could be under the circumstances), and those little buttons made everything sooo much easier. I'd find myself finding excuses to push the 'up' and 'down' buttons... Now that being said, I felt no need to rent a hospital bed when I went home. I've been home for two weeks now, and I find that I'm able to get in and out of bed without a problem. I have to say though, that all of this would/should probably depend on what kind of procedure you're getting done... You should probably speak to your doctor... if he thinks you might need one, you probably would... sorry I couldn't help more.

LindaRacine
10-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Linda...

If you decide that you want something adjustable, here's an inexpensive alternative:

http://www.contourliving.com/

I have one and find it works as well as the adjustable bed that I purchased before my own surgery, and which was incredibly expensive.

--Linda

HGD24
10-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I did not rent a hospital bed when I got home, but did purchase a bed rail at a local medical supply store. I would roll to my side by crossing my right hand over my body and pulling myself onto my left side. I then used the rail to push myself up. I have to say though, that I came to depend on it and it wasn't until I went to PT 4 months later and regained the strength in my lower back and abs, that I was able to do without it.

My husband also bought one of those large foam wedges from a medical supply store, but I just could not use it. I really felt more comfortable lying flat than when I was propped up in the hospital bed.

sweetness514
10-20-2005, 02:37 PM
I recuperated so much faster and could get out of bed much more easily when I got home, as my bed is hard and lower-wich was helpful for me.

cowprintrabbit
10-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I guess I'm out of the norm - I'm finally saying goodbye to my hosp bed tomorrow. I'm still not sleeping perfectly in the regular bed; but I miss my husband, and the doctor says it's time.

My health insurance paid 100% of it, and I'll have to admit, I've probably been lazy about returning it because I'm not getting the bill :o

But I spent the first night home from the hospital in tears, awake all night because I couldn't sleep on the flat bed. As soon as it was delivered the next day (2 1/2 hours after I called to ask for it!) I fell sound asleep in the middle of the day.

crookedspine
10-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have to admit, I still need to make a decision, but it helps to know that opinions vary. All of you have been so helpful! Linda

blairf83
10-27-2005, 01:23 PM
I didn't get a hospital bed after my surgery. I actually was happiest on a hide-a-bed. Itty bitty thin matress, foam eggcrate type mattress pad, and, with a sheet of plywood underneath it all. I found I was most comfortable on a really firm surface, and it also made it easier to get up out of bed- didn't have to struggle to sit up as much. I made a sort of ramp/incline out of pillows which worked fine for me when I didn't want to lay flat.

cowgirl87
11-01-2005, 08:50 PM
i slept in a recliner most of the day..spent a lot of time there too!! :p i did sleep in my bed, but my mom really helped me ( turned me every 3-4 hours, talk about devotion) and if i couldnt sleep there iwent to the recliner.

sweetness514
11-02-2005, 02:19 PM
The recliner was great for watching TV, and reading. At first it helped me even more than the bed, since it's not flat and that first position is not all the way straight either, good combo.