weight loss with surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight loss with surgery

My current weight is 110 lbs. When I saw my surgeon he said I needed to gain some weight because you loose so much weight with this surgery. Any comments out there on how much weight I could expect to loose? I am a breast cancer survivor and I don't like to eat a rich, fatty diet. Any suggestions on how to "beef up" a little without eating rich foods?

I lost 15 lbs. when I had surgery (fusion & rib resection). I'm thin to begin with, so it was a lot to lose. I also had problems with my stomach from the morphine (I'm allergic to codiene), so that didn't help matters.

I suggest talking to your primary care doctor about diet, so that you can gain weight in a way that is healthy for you.

Comment

Weight Loss

Susan,
      While I was in the hospital for my surgery they gave me "Ensure" to put on weight. I believe you can now buy it in the supermarket.
      SandyC
      SandyC

Comment

20lbs...

I lost about twenty pounds.. I'm 5'11" and 135lbs.. but I went down to about 115 or maybe even 110lbs after surgery. You just don't feel like eating for a while because the pain from your back settles in your tummy (at least it did for me). I was donating my own blood for the transfusions I needed for the surgery so I was eating steak and spinach everyday for a month before I had the surgery. I gained about five or ten lbs beforehand because of that.. protein shakes (like ensure which sandy mentioned) are a good idea.

All the best,
        lisanicole
        lisanicolegrace
        29/F/Canada
        Surgery - 11/10/2000
        80° curve to 19° post op.
        www.lisanicolegrace.com
        @lisanicolegrace
        facebook
        x-rays
        picture of my back

Comment

I'm 110 lb at 5 foot 5, and I lost 10 pounds after surgery. I wouldn't worry about "beefing up" because you'll have plenty of time to eat the sweets everyone sends you afterwards! Plus you won't be able to exercise for a while so you'll put on weight then. Just keep your diet full and nutritious.
          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
          L2 to T4
          Braced for 4 years
          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

what happened to me

I am 5'4 (now) i was 5'2 before my surgery on may 11 2004, i weighed 135 lbs before my first surgery which was the one on may 11th and i had to have an emergency surgery a week ago which was on memorial day due to an infection in my incision. I think i dropped like 15lbs the first time and more like 5 the second cause now i'm at 115lbs. The best advice i can give you is to take a lot of vitamins a fiew weeks prior to your surgery or a month if you can squeeze it in. I took 1000mg. of vitamin C, 200i.u of B12, and 600i.u of vitamin E, and I took 300mg. of Iron a day(broke it down to 100 mg. 3 times a day so i didnt take it all at once, the iron i mean) and on top of that i took a centrum which is a multi- vitamin. Do all this "a day". So get pumped with vitamins, because your blood and bones and muscle need it ok. Drink slimfast cause it has a lot of vitamins if your not a big eater. or Ensure. Let me know if you need anything ok. Tara Ward

T4-L3 fusion w/ rods. May 11, 1994 and May 31, 2004-2nd surgery
            Tara Ward

Comment

Tara:
              How did you get an infection in the incision ten years after your surgery? I didn't know this was possible. What kind of risks are involved in an infection like that?
              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
              L2 to T4
              Braced for 4 years
              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Nevermind! I just saw your thread addressing your infection. Good luck fighting it!
                Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                L2 to T4
                Braced for 4 years
                Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Working...
                X