weight gain with scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight gain with scoliosis

I am 26 year old female. I was diganose with scoliosis when I was 6 months old. After I had my son I got on the depo shot for birth control. I weighed 108 pounds. After taking the shot for two years I gained 28 pounds now I have constant back pain. Could my weight gain caused my serve back pain.

I think it does because excess weight puts stress on the spine.From personal experience I lost 30 pounds then gained them back and it definetely put strain on my back and caused more pain
    we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams

Comment

Hehehe
      I can't even gain weight even if i ate a Thanksgiving dinner every single day. I'm usually always around 110 lbs. I'm 18 though, I've heard at around 25 is the time the metabolism rate really slows down.

Comment

My metabolism changed around 27 years old, and I went from super skinny to minorly pudgy. Also, depo has been known to help with putting on a few pounds. (As does having a baby!) I do know the more weight I carry on my frame, they worse my physical pain issues are!
        Meg is Spinewhine
        31 years old with thoracic curve
        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

My curve has progressed. The first thing my ortho. surgeon told me last week is DON'T gain any weight! Stay slim as excess weight puts more of a strain on the spinal column.

Comment

I had a hard time keeping the weight ON before the surgery at age 26(was always between 90 and 110 pounds at 5'5"), now it's the opposite
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I've noticed that in the past couple of years (AS my pain increased) I have put on extra weight. I noticed that I was gaining a lot of water weight (my ankles were always swollen). The doctor put me on water pills to get rid of the weight, and I just kept on gaining. I then found that my thyroid was shrinking (hypothyroid), accounting for part of the weight gain; but the water gain was still there. If I do not take my water pills (as I didn't the past two days because I was training a replacement (I have surgery in two weeks), I will gain weight - 9 lbs in the past two days! Is this a symptom of scoliosis & degenerative disc disease?

Comment

Weight gain is not a sympton of scoliosis. However, weight gain puts additional pressure that could cause additional pain. Also, as pain increases we probably become less active and therefore keep the weight on more easily.
                Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

I agree, but I think age and hormones don't help. I have found that before having the surgery I was not very active as far as exercising goes, and was really thin. Now that I had the surgery and exercise daily for a good amount of time, and eat less, I have gained some, as I hit my thirties. This last year I cut some carbs and increased my exercise regimen, and I have shed some weight but damn it's harder
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I totally agree.... I am about to turn 35 and dropping some weight is much more difficult that it use to be! As I have gained some weight my back pain is increasing. It is hard to tell at this point if it is primarily age and weight gain or pain from my scoliosis. I had 2 curves, wore a brace and had surgery at the age of 17. I am sure it is a combination of all of it. I have an appt on Dec 6th to discuss my pain and stiffness.
                    Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Working...
                    X