30 days post op bandages question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 days post op bandages question

My daughter still has most of the bandages on from the day of her surgury. The doctors said to let them fall off on their own but they have not. She is very careful to not get water on them and she has been getting her hair washed at the beauty salon. I can can't believe she still needs these this far after surgury. Any experience with this?

My daughter is 3 months post-op and her last bandages are still there (maybe 3 of them). At the 1 month post-op check-up the doctor said she can wash her hair by having the water go in front of her, over her head, and then gently drain down her back. She pulls her hair (long hair to her waist) to one side then the other to wash it. I also have her stand sideways to let the water drain down her back without putting water pressure on the stitches/scar. Partly, make sure the soap is rinsed of her back completely and the direct spray of the nozel doesn't hit the scar/stitches, due to the intense force of the water spray. The doctor also said recently my daughter can remove the last stitches if she wants to, it doesn't matter. That's at 2-3 months post-op. My daughter has pulled them off as they become easy enough for her to desire to do it. I did call the doctor before starting to remove them after about 2 months, when they were STILL there. Good luck! Kris

Comment

Are you talking about steri-strips?? If you are at my daughters 3 1/2 week first check up the nurse at the surgeon's office removed them all. My daughter was not happy about that, she didn't like the way it felt.
      Jennifer
      Last edited by jc3; 10-16-2005, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Hi there!
        Alex was showering before leaving the hospital, so we continued to do so at home and his steristrips were off within 3 weeks (give or take). We were told no baths, but showering was fine. Check with your doctor.

Lura

Comment

She has the steri-strips but also bandages that cover them with the exception of a piece that started to fall off and we took it out.

Comment

I've had many many spinal surgeries and you don't need to keep them on. It is important to pull them off gently because you don't want them to become infected, that would be really bad. The steri-strips that are on her are probably covered with dry blood and some goupy stuff. I would take them off. Once they are off rub baby oil on her back to get all the tape residue off of her. She can have water go on her back directly. Trust me, after 8 surgeries I know what you can and can't do! Take them off and have a real shower!

Comment

Froggybee, we pulled over a nurse who had spine surgery several years ago at Shriners. She quietly gave us "private" information about some things that are not "according to the books". We pulled her aside because the nurse we had that day (3 month follow-up) basically lectured us on how the 8 month after sheet "says" NO swimming! This nurse who had the surgery herself said it is fine to swim carefully (also, the doctors told us this, before we talked to the nurse who wanted to just quote the paperwork). Basically, she said if it hurts to move her arms/legs certain amounts as she swims, don't do it! The doctors also described things as moving in the same motion constantly being like bending a paperclip, it will put stress on the rods, which are there for a year to hold her spine still as it fuses. The doctors were all kind of easy-going about the restrictions. They all seemed to imply to use some common sense, whereas the one nurse pointed to the paper that said "NO" as an absolute. Erica is interested in swimming, because she is bored. I am afraid she will push the limits and I will spend the entire time lecturing her on how to sit still in the water. Also, she reached up high, stretching her body and one arm, to do something with a curtain this weekend. She admitted it hurt some. That scares me into thinking of waiting until 8 months post-op to "gently swim", especially since it is coming into winter. We do have a family membership at a nice YMCA, where her brothers have started to work out on weight machines, though. I tell you, it is much easier on my mind to be strict and find other activities for her until 8 months, instead of risking light sports activities. She also shoots baskets as long as she doesn't jump while doing it. I would think that might bend back-and-forth the metal and all between the shoulders. Kris

Comment

steri strips: i had half of mine removed by a nurse at 13 days post op, then three days later i had the rest taken off my another nurse and she didn't replace my dressing at that point - i've been free and easy ever since and my scar has been FINE. but i also had internal stitches so it's been neat from the word go and i don't know if that makes a difference...

restrictions: so much depends on what your doctor tells you - i do what my SURGEON says, he's the expert, he's the one who has seen my insides and he's the one reading my xray. i went for a consultation at 7 weeks post op and he practically threw me in a pool (he wanted me to swim to help me get better, and not just paddle around the shallow end, he wanted me to actually swim) he also allowed me to drive (but i had passed my test 9 months before, surgeons tend to make those wanting to start learning to drive wait a little longer) and i was stunned when he said i could get back on a horse as long as i didn't fall off.

i saw him again last monday and he cleared me to do whatever i like (that was 14 weeks post op) and he doesn't want to see me until april. part of it is that i have healed quickly, i had a short fusion (T11-L3) and i'm very determined and independent person who puts high pressure on herself. like i say, it depends very much on your surgeon and what they say, but my attitude is that once you're past the really dangerous point, you have to start doing stuff again and getting back to normal. i'm not trying to get at anyone, they're just my thoughts
                diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
                fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
                Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
                scoliosis support forum

Comment

Just a quick note about removing any adhesive (bandages, steri-strips, etc.) BEFORE you leave the hospital ask the nurse for a supply of the tape remover pads that they use. When my daughter was told she could have the bandages off, she wanted them off now, which isn't always easy! The remover pads were a life-saver. We just rubbed them on the bandages and they came off easily with no sticky residue!
                  The only exception to this was her last surgery. They used some kind of sheeting that went over the whole incision site. It's like shrink wrap. That stuff didn't respond to the pads as well as regular bandages!
                  Good Luck

Comment

.....well my doctor said take that bandage off after 2 weeks then let the stery strips fall off over the next 2 weeks by getting then wet in the shower...welll they still wern't off by the end of the 2 weeks so my mom peeled them off.....and i think the docter was supposed to change the bandage before she left the hospital cuz if the original bandage is still on after 30 days thats going to be gross...just my thoughts and experience
                    ~Shannon~
                    Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
                    13 months Post-op
                    E-mail me!:
                    starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Working...
                    X