When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When?

Hi guys, I have a quick question for you, and I was hoping you guys could help out... When exactly do I go back to being normal? when am I able to lay in bed and feel completely comfortable again? When do I walk around again without stuff hurting and pinching? I want my life back, and I'm getting sort of stir crazy over here! I hate the pain, I hate the fact I can't be too comfortable for long... I knew it'd be like this, but I'd like some sort of hope if possible... I'm two weeks post op, when do I stop counting? could you please help out? Thank you so very much.

www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees

Wow... two weeks post-op and you're wondering when you'll feel normal. :-) It sounds like you're having a very fast recovery. I didn't start thinking like that until I was about 4 months post-op.

The answer is that we're all very different, and there's no way of really knowing how long it will take. I honestly didn't start to feel normal for about a year.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda you read my mind. It was the same for me. Patience and perserverance
      is key.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi again... you know, I re-read that post and realized how ridiculous I must appear to you guys... I know that I'm only two weeks post op, and that time takes care of everything... I think I'm just looking for hope... right now, my brain cannot imagine life without this pain, and it'd just be great to know that it goes away some day... everything hurts... everything's sore... I'm sorry... I don't mean to appear like a whiny brat or anything... just would like to hear from someone who's been there that "Yes, I felt like that once myself, and yes, I did get MUCH better..." Again, forgive the whining... I unfortunately find myself doing a lot of that lately...
        27 Years Old

Comment

Hi Monie,

Ditto to what Linda said. 13wks I went back to work for 4hrs/day. 17 wks (4 months) went back to work full time. Of course, the procedure done and age plays a big part.

Hang in there...we have all been where you are...wondering, questioning, doubting..but that too will pass. I suggest you keep a journal...that is what helped me. Everytime I thought I was not improving I would go back and read where I was and only then could I realize I was closer and closer to recovery.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Monie,

I am sure you are feeling how most do after any type of surgery...wanting the "old you" back...or better - a "new you". Remember....baby steps, baby steps...and you will see in another week that you have taken those steps, slowly but surely. Be patient, you will not always feel the way that you feel today.

Take care,
            Sue
            48 year old Female
            3 curves...35, 56, 43
            Proud wearer of Milwaukee Brace in the 70's...and hated every minute of it.

Comment

i remember the first 6 weeks feeling horribly slow and frustrating. i'm now 12 weeks post op and feel a lot better but i've not had much surgery, 5 vertebrae fused, plus i'm 18 and though i'm unfit, that's carried me through i think.

i'm sad to say i couldn't lie comfortably until my surgeon lifted restrictions - i generally sleep on my side and curled up so from that angle, sleeping was pretty bad for me, but different people have different hangups

like everyone else said - baby steps, remember how much better you already are compared to last week, how you were in intensive care, how you found it tough to stand up for the first time...looking back on all that helps
              diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
              braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
              fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
              Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
              scoliosis support forum

Comment

Monie...

Yes I felt like that, and got MUCH better. I remember thinking "what did I get myself into?". But after the few weeks, I started focusing on the positive side of the recuperation( I know it's hard to find one ) and thought about myself, like doing a lot of reading, watching movies, and introspective thinking. But that's not hard for me as I am an introvert and like my time alone.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hey guys, first of all, thanks so much for all the support... I really do appreciate it... Well, I'm three weeks post op, and I"m happy to say that I already see what a lot of you were talking about... I'm feeling much better. The pain isn't is as bad as it used to be, and I'm able to do a lot more than I could last week or the week before that... I feel great, because I can actually say I'm starting to feel better... I've had good and bad days, but most have been good... all in all, I'm glad. So thank you again, and hopefully, things just keep getting better...
                  27 Years Old

Comment

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yahoo!
                    48 year old Female
                    3 curves...35, 56, 43
                    Proud wearer of Milwaukee Brace in the 70's...and hated every minute of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X