will i be able to bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will i be able to bike

i am going to have 4 months on october 20 so is it okay to ride a bike because i need some excercise

You should ask your surgeon. I was allowed to start riding my bike on smooth areas at 7 weeks post-op. Every doctor varies with restrictions, so you should probably ask them.
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

i agree..ask the doc! i was allowed to ride carefully after 3 months...but only on dry, safe areas. NO FALLS ALLOWED!! try some light swimming too..that really was nice..just no diveing
      8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

Hi Roxie,

I purchased a Schwinn stationary bike with the handle bars that pull back and push forward. My physical therapist told me to MAKE SURE I wasn't twisting my torso when I pull back and push forward with my arms. I was having some rib pain so I quit riding my bike. I have been thinking this week that I might try riding it again since I am now 2 yrs 8 months post-op. I just wanted to make you aware of this ,so you don't do anything to compromise your fusion.

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

Biking

Ok I was not allowed to run for 3 months after surgery. So I wasn't supposed to bike either. But 4 months post op sounds pretty good to start riding lightly. Like maybe start out with about 10 or 15 minutes a day. if it doesn't hurt you can start biking for longer. I have had 4 back surgeries so I do know what I am talking about. I horseback ride and so I get bucked off really often lol. My back is so far doing fine. Or as good as it ever will. As I am a little crazy. I had my last surgery November 29, 2004 and as soon as I was feeling good and it was a little warmer outside I was horseback riding again. Though I had to wear a brace. But it wasn't all that bad. I am currently training a horse and I have quit wearing my brace most of the time. As I only had to wear it when I was riding for a year. Well good luck. And take it easy. But if you don't feel comfortable riding the bike then do talk to your doctor.

PS
          My back had a 96* curvature by the time I had surgery. It went really fast. So don't worry. But yeah talking to the doc definitely sounds like a plan
          Last edited by Horselover; 11-06-2005, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I was told that after 9 weeks it would be good to do things that would help your back. Riding a bike and swimming were the ones recommended to me. A stationary bike is a great option, but I would also check with your doctor cause everyone varies depending on the curvuture of your back. Lauri

Comment

Working...
            X