Surgery Oct 13th & 17th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Oct 13th & 17th

Well, just a couple more days AGAIN 'til the unthinkable. At least that's what has helped me get by these last weeks: Pushing back the bad thoughts as all the worry in the world won't change what is going to happen, good or bad; and I'm sure it will be a combination of both. The last time I was supposed to go in, I got an abscessed tooth THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY! That gave me an extra 2 months to think about things. I have read the recommended book by David Wolpert: Scoliosis Surgery-the Definitive Patient's Reference; and agree that anyone considering surgery should read this easy to understand, excellent guide book. Once the decision is made, finding your own individual peace with it is very important in my book. I have read some positive thinking books and use the tips therein to keep myself at an even keel. I have friends and family who have offered their thoughts and prayers. You have all helped too, sharing your stories and kind thoughts with strangers. I will post when I am able and hope my story can help someone else looking for answers.
    Regards to All,
    Sharon
    PS--I am 54 years old and live in Dayton, Nv. USA
    Singing the Blues
    Female 1951
    A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
    Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers during and after your surgery. If you can, have a friend let us know how you are doing. My surgery is Nov 8 & 10. I can only imagine how you are feeling right now....but think about the results! Linda

Comment

Back Attcha

Hi Linda!
      Thanks for the kind words. I'd like to know more about your upcoming surgery, where you're from etc. I will have my husband Mark let everyone know how things worked out initially. I wish my two procedures were closer together. It seems like it won't really be done until the last one, and the in between time is just a stall. Oh well, no time to be second guessing the doctor!
      My thoughts will be with you, too.
      (If I have any POSITIVE ones by then!!!)
      Sharon
      Singing the Blues
      Female 1951
      A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.

Comment

me too

Hi Sharon and Linda,
        My surgery was originally scheduled in September, but was canceled twice, once by me and once by the doctor. It is now scheduled for November 15th and 22nd. My doctor rotates hospitals and only does surgery at the hospital where I'll be admitted on Tuesdays. So I have to wait a week for the second surgery. I wish both of you the best. Tomorrow I'm doing my first blood donation, so I've got to go and eat some chicken liver now. I used to be a vegetarian!

Comment

Sharon - my prayers are with you and your family (can I ask what specific surgery you are having?) - God Speed!!

Prayers for Linda and Lindabar as well...

Comment

Best wishes Sharon! Can't wait until you're up to being back on the board.

lindabar- I read somewhere a comparison of iron contents of various foods. Even the stuff touted as containing tons of iron (ie liver) isn't that great.... Iron pills do better and are a lot less disgusting to us vegetarian types (I've been veggie for eight years now).
            Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
            Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
            Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
            Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
            February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
            September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Lots to be Thankful For....

Hey Lindabar & Ken!
              Wow L, a full WEEK between surgeries! I won't complain any more
              (yeah, right.) Ken, I'm an ex LA-an (Isn't everyone?) Lived in the Torrance/Redondo Beach/Hawthorne/Lawndale area for over 30 years. I am having anterior/posterior scoliosis surgery. They go in through the front, remove a rib, some bad discs, etc, loosen up the spine. He said he'd also "clean out" the stenosis area near the sacrum. 4 days later they will go in through the back and add the hardware. He may or may not need to harvest more bone from my hip as well. My Dr Fry says I'll go straight to a rehab hospital for about 3 weeks (!!) I'm planning on dazzling them with my recuperation so I can go home in no more than 2--HA! Hubby Mark is taking off as of tomorrow to stay with me in the hospital so they don't take a kidney or other body part by mistake! He will stay home about a week after I return from rehab to help me get my bearings. I'm very lucky. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, I'm really counting on them!
              Sharon
              Singing the Blues
              Female 1951

Comment

Hi Sharon,

My prayers are with you and your family. I'll say have positive thoughts and you'll be OK. It is one more hurdle in life we have to take. The experience will definitely make you stronger.

Stay blessed

Amaka

Comment

I am from San Antonio and will be having surgery in Boston with Dr. Glazer. I have had scoliosis all my life (diagnosed at 6 months), and have dealt with the pain since then. The last few years, however, have been worse and worse. I finally went to the ortho doctor in April (when I couldn't move at all!), and that is when I found that I needed surgery. I don't know all the technical words, but they will be fusing, decompressing, and removing. Make sense? I would read what they wrote, but it is long & confusing. I will know much more when I get to Boston on the 3rd of November. I hate that both of you have to wait for so long between your surgeries. As I said before, my prayers are with you...and anyone getting close to having surgery! Let us know!

Comment

Hi Sharon,

My surgery is Nov 3 and I can't really think about how close that is or I get nervous.

I agree that Scoliosis Surgery-the Definitive Patient's Reference by David Wolpert is a really great read for anyone considering surgery. I found it helpful.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. God's blessings be with you.

Piglet

Comment

Hi Sharon - Just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers "today" (and you have been added to the prayer chain) - as you prepare to go dazzle them, nice sense of humor!! I'm gonna keep watching for updates when you are able - God bless you -

Comment

Piglet, I know exactly what you mean. I have to keep busy or else.....

My prayers are with all who are having surgery soon. Linda

Comment

Status Report (by Mark, Sharon's Husband)

I'm writing this at Sharon's request to fill you in on her progress from today's surgery (Anterior diskectomy T10 - L, uhh something)
                          --Mark

She went in for the first of the procedures this morning at 7:30 AM. The Surgeons both came by to inform me that she was doing so well that time in the ICU wasn't necessary. The procedure went as well as it could have and she was placed in her room by around noon. She was experiencing significant pain, so a change was made to her pain reliever and soon thereafter, she was groggily bossing me around - a sure sign that things were going well.

She's taking liquids this evening and hopefully will sleep some in spite of all the distractions. She will have a chest tube in for the next day or so. I'm amazed at the bravery she's showing in the face of such an invasive and serious surgery. I'd be cowering in the corner with glazed-over eyes.

The next one (Posterior fusion, again apologies as I'm pretty scoli-illiterate - Mark) is scheduled for this coming Monday. She's not out of the woods yet, but she's relieved that finally after all the agonizing decisions and extensive preparations, her journey is underway.

We're not entertaining any visitors in the hospital until after she's been admitted to rehab. She just can't stand to have folks gawking at what a mush-bunny I am. %^-)

Your positive thoughts and feelings, prayers and wishes have been and will be gratefully received over this next couple of weeks. Lord willing and the crik don' rise, she'll be back afore ye know it. Best be on good behavior 'till then....

G'night and God bless.

Mark & Sharon
                          Singing the Blues
                          Female 1951

Comment

Mark, thanks for the update! God bless you both and tell Sharon we are thinking of her and praying for her. You're a good hubby! Kris

Comment

Mark, I second the "thanks for the update". It sounds like you have a good sense of humor, also. You will both need that in the next few weeks, I'm sure. Let her know that we are thinking of her & our prayers continue to go forth for her and you. Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X