anxious mum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anxious mum

I have been reading this forum for some months!! I am from the UK and my 13 year old daughter is scheduled for surgery November 12th. I have never experienced so much worry and anxiety. She seems to be coping OK but doesn't want to talk about it or look at this forum. What I wouldn't give to be able to have this surgery for her.. You wait for the doctors appointment yet when it comes you dont want to go - perhaps it might all go away?? silly I know but its strange how your mind copes with things. Are there any other mums out there feeling the same? i'm sure there must be. I like to read the reassuring stories but some seem quite dismal and frightening!! anyway pretty desperate...
    UK mum of 2 girls with scoliosis.
    Younger daughter facing surgery 12th November 2005

I am taking my daughter in for surgery tomorrow. I had the chance to read other people's comments and stories of recovery, my daughter chose not to read any books of visit any websites. I think I am more stressed out over the operation than she is, she is very relaxed and is being very brave about the whole thing. We agreed that the surgery needed to be done the curve progressed so quickly she accepted she needed the surgery wanted it as soon as possible. I needed to come online tonight and read a bit more it made me more at ease. What made me feel better was reading books or websites, talking to the doctor, or to a few people I know who have had family members go through the surgery. I hope what I had to say helped somewhat.

Comment

I was relieved this morning to have received a response to my first message. I wish you all the best with your daughter and it is reassuring to know mums are going through the same as me. I'm thinking about you and your daughter and all the other kids going through surgery every day!! let me know when you are out and how everything went. Keep your chin up x

Comment

There are people out there on this forum who gave me great support all through my ordeal with my daughter. I even met one mom in the hospital and we supported (and still do support) each other daily as our kids were in surgery and during follow-up. I look at the "problems" reported on this forum as possible things to be prepared for and not as things to panic me. This surgery is definitely serious and I would not have had it for cosmetic or pain relief. My daughter was increasing her curve so quickly that the future looked very grim without the surgery. The ability to prevent her from having to use a lung machine as an adult, etc., made surgery a definite choice for her and me. The forum helped me prepare for the things the medical staff would not be concerned as much about, like writing down the medicine schedule and preparing myself for waking constantly 24 hours a day to help her with pain management. Others telling about their experiences post-surgery also helped me prepare mentally for what is happening now: finding ways to enjoy life without sports for a year.

Comment

My daughter hated talking about scoliosis (still does) and hated the idea of using this forum, so I had to only use the forum when she was not around, to avoid upsetting her. I found out through the forum that others react like she did and that it was ok. I did and still do have to remind myself that most people come here because they have problems. I found that as long as I keep the "what if's" in perspective and center on sharing experiences, I can get alot out of the forum. There is someone here in my city that I know of who had this type of surgery, but it was still not the same as hearing from NSF people, who gave me a multitude of ideas to help me through. We will help you two all the way through if you continue communicating! God bless you with your upcoming situations and keep in touch! My daughter is 3 months post-op now and recently went on a girl scout sleepover. She is looking forward to going on a hike with the girl scouts this fall sometime and enjoys PS-2 nowadays as a reward for finishing homework. It used to be basketball in the driveway but recently is video games, at least until the fusion is finished, and no more worries about her curve getting really severe! Ok, I'm done yakking! Kris

Comment

i sent you a private message elsa, i'm from the UK too and have not long had surgery (12 weeks ago) i'm a bit older than your daughter but i've been where she is and as kris said, scoliosis was a banned topic in my house too - denial is easy when you're a teen i think

a big plus is i asked my parents how it was looking after me and they said not as bad as they expected. i left my email address in the PM so feel free to ask me absolutely anything
            diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
            braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
            fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
            Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
            scoliosis support forum

Comment

Kris Atkinson

hanks for replying. I think my daughter has definately resigned herself to surgery but doesn't neccessarily want to be reminded of it by talking!! She seems quite able to put it to the back of her mind which I suppose is a blessing. I'm glad your daughters surgery went well lets hope my daughters will too... its nice to talk to someone who has 'been there, done it and got the t-shirt' (not sure whether that is a Brit saying)!!
              I am struggling a bit with the worrying, not sleeping etc etc and wish this hadn't ruled my life. We are no stranger to scoliosis. My elder daughter has suffered with it for 5 years but no longer visits the doctors as they said it wasn't bad enough for surgery even though she seems to get backache almost daily. Strangely enough my younger daughter who is having the surgery - her scoliosis is much less noticeable than her sisters that is why it was such a shock when we were advised on her first hospital visit that surgery was really the only option..
              Anyway i look forward to talking to you again..

Comment

Elsa,
                Surgery is a scary thing to see you child prepare for. My daugther had accepted surgery. She wanted it badly because her back hurt all the time. She actually put her whole surgery thing in God's hands. She used to tell me everynight "Mom, you have to let go of it and let God take care of it." About three days before surgery I was finally able to let go of it and put it in God's hands. But, at that point I was absolutely exhausted from lack of sleep from worry. The morning of surgery I went into the prep room with her and stayed until I couldn't hold back my tears any longer. When I went back out in the hallway, my husband was waiting, and I just bawled. I am so glad to have the man I have, he was my strength on that day. When her surgery was done and we went into the recovery room to see her, I cried again because she was doing okay. The best part was that even with her lying on her back in recovery, I could already see the change in her back. You will have feelings of fear and feelings of joy. If I had to do it again, and go through all the turmoil I put myself through, I'D DO IT. To see my 17 year old daughter stand up straight and tall (she grew 2 inches from surgery) is well worth it. She wears clothing now that she would of never worn before. She always wanted to conceal her back. She's proud of her scar. Even if someone asks her about it, she'll always stop and talk to them about it.

A few quick suggestions. Get a body pillow and take it to the hospital for your daughter. It will be her best friend. When she is rolled up on her side, it will be long enough to lay behind her and go the full length of her back. Be prepared for the fact that she may get very dismayed if you leave her room for a break. Do it anyway, you need to get out of the room. I was 5 hours from home, so couldn't even go home and see my husband and other children. I spent 7 days in the hospital with my daughter. I could of gone shopping, as the Shriners men would of taken me anywhere I wanted to go. But, I had made some friends in the hospital and we would eat together and support each other, go for walks in the hospital, etc. But, be sure to take a break. If you need to leave, just let the nurses know you are leaving, it's okay to do that. Get e-mail addresses of those you meet and bond with in the hospital. You will develop amazing relationships with them. I have gained one incredibly wonderful new friend from this experience and we keep in contact all the time.

Of all the things we took to the hospital, the only thing my daughter really used was her CD player. So, take one for her and buy lots of batteries. Listening to the music they like makes things easier for them.

You'll do great, even though it doesn't seem so right now. You'll be on the other side of surgery soon.

God Bless You.

'til later,
                Nikki

Comment

Nikki, I am glad to see you offer your thoughts here. I was hoping some of the people like you would chime in and help these two moms on this thread with their worries, as you and others did daily to me when I was worried and counting the days until surgery. Feels weird being post-op like you were when you consoled me when you were just a few months post-op, telling me about your daughter jumping over the dishwasher and "crashing" with daddy on the sofa. Erica recently got shoved against a wall by her brother and for a change, I didn't stop what I was doing and run to the rescue. I figured the damage was done or not done by that time and she has to get out of the action herself if she doesn't want to risk spine damage. She hates to back out of physical/verbal debates with her brothers. I came back in the house after hearing from her brother how the other brother had slammed her against the wall (he was sick of her attitude and I think finally gave in, could have been worse). When I saw her, she was glued into whatever a brother was doing on the computer by then, so obviously she must not have been hurt too bad! Definitely reminded me of you at 3 months post-op when I was praying to be on this side of surgery and out of worry ASAP. Again, thanks for joining in on this thread, I hope it helps these ladies like it helped me. Kris

Comment

Nikyergen

Thank you so much for your response. I'm so glad everything went so well for you and your daughter. Yes I am very frightened and i'm sure my daughter is to but I will have to pass over care of my daughter to the surgeon I have no choice. Being mum you feel like you should always be able to make it better!!
                    As much as I am dreading the whole thing the other side of me just wants to get going with it. My husband is a very emotional person and will probably not be that much use. However, my sister will be with me throughout surgery which should be a help. My elder daughter is already feeling very emotional about the whole situation and we've agreed she will come and visit her sister once she is out of intensive care. I am very fortunate to have a close and loving extended family who all want to help. I've never really been a believer in god but when things like this happen you start to question the whole meaning of things. I have a good friend who is a very spiritual person and has helped me alot. I think perhaps peoples good thoughts and positive thinking can help. I hope I can muster the strength for my daughter and keep controlled for her sake - I wont be much use to her if I'm a gibbering wreck!I was planning on taking a CD player with us as it seems to be my daughters nightime buddy anyway.
                    I hope this forum will help me through and will perhaps glue my fingers to the keyboard!!! Thanks for your thoughts x d to go.
                    write back soon
                    Nikki[/QUOTE]

Comment

Marmyte
                      Im not sure you have got my private e-mail so I thought I'd post on the forum as well. My daughter is having her surgery at RNO in Stanmore as well. Her surgeon is a David Harrison.
                      What was the hospital nursing staff like?
                      I'd really appreciate your response..
                      Til later x

Comment

i replied to your private message elsa
                        diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                        braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
                        fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
                        Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
                        scoliosis support forum

Comment

Originally posted by elsa
                          I have been reading this forum for some months!! I am from the UK and my 13 year old daughter is scheduled for surgery November 12th. I have never experienced so much worry and anxiety. .
                          Hi Elsa:

My daughter had her surgery on 2nd May. In the weeks leading up to the surgery date, I was a complete loon bucket. I've never been so scared or worried in my entire life, and I am an Olympic class worrier to begin with.

Looking back on the experience now, the worrying in advance was actually the worst part. The upcoming surgery looms over everything, and yet there's not anything you can actually do to improve the situation. Once you get into the hospital and the surgery is happening, there's lots to do. After the surgery, when you're living at the hospital and taking care of your child, it's really much better because you have some control over things.

So, to a certain extent, I think you just have to suffer through the pre-op anxiety a bit. Won't do you any lasting harm, most likely. As far as specific recommendations, I have only a couple:

1) The doctors will tell you these horrible "odds of bad things happening" numbers. Something like a 1 in 2000 chance of spinal cord damage, or whatever. I hated those numbers. I wanted 1 in a bazillion gajillion. However, I found it helped to think about the fact that, if 1 child in 2000 has a horrible outcome, that means that 1,999 of 2000 don't. It sounded a lot better that way. I have been active on this forum, and on www.spinekids.com, for two years now (since Caitlin went into the brace), and have followed the stories of probably dozens of idiopathic scoli procedures. Every single child has survived, none of them have been paralyzed. This is a well-understood and often performed procedure. While it would be better not to have to have it, those odds are really in your favour.

2) Try not to cry in front of your wee girl. Many of the girls on spinekids talk about their fear of seeing their Mum cry before the surgery. Through SuperMum self-control I managed to stay laughing and perky all the way into the operating room (there ought to be an Oscar for this) and only finally broke down after Caitlin was unconscious. (Don't bother doing your eye makeup on surgery day......)

3) If you can do anything to treat your anxiety directly -- warm baths, jogging, yoga, whatever -- it's probably good to do so, because you've got a lot of work ahead of you once your daughter is in recovery. There are several weeks of broken sleep, waiting on her hand and foot, not losing your temper when she's cranky, etc.

Wishing you all the very best during this trying time. Keep us posted.

Cheers - Patricia
                          Patricia
                          Scoli Mum from New Zealand
                          Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
                          Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Phaedon

Thanks so much for you notes. Yes i'm sure you understand it is a very scary time. I dont think i've experienced anything so difficult.
                            It does help talking to other mums and i am sure i will keep mailing this site. im really glad everything went well for you daughter.
                            im off to bed now and hope i can get a decent nights sleep
                            xx
                            til later

Comment

I'm dealing with fear and worry too as my 14 year old daughter will have the back surgery on Nov. 28th. We don't know how much the doctor will have to fuse yet as we go in for bending x-rays on the 7th of November. It is just very hard to know that your child has to face this type of major surgery and will be in so much pain.

It does help to read the suggestions that you have given each other and know this is a place where others understand the same type of worry and concerns.

Comment

Working...
                              X