hardware issue???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware issue???

hello all. I've recently noticed that I have a hard bump located near the top of my incision site located a little to the right. It hurts a bit, and I've noticed that ever since my upper back popped it hasn't stopped hurting. I'm waiting until the week to call my doctor in reference to this matter. You don't suppose it's an issue with the hardware? I'm a bit concerned about this. Thank you. Not to mention that I've a plane to catch Tuesday morning. ACK!
    Last edited by itsjustme; 10-10-2005, 02:01 AM.
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

itsjustme

if you search for posts by a user named Jonny, he had a problem with visible hardware and unfortunately had to have revision surgery. i think he posted pictures so you can see if you think you have a similar problem

hope your appointment goes ok and it gets sorted out
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Originally posted by marmyte
      itsjustme

if you search for posts by a user named Jonny, he had a problem with visible hardware and unfortunately had to have revision surgery. i think he posted pictures so you can see if you think you have a similar problem

hope your appointment goes ok and it gets sorted out

Thank you. I've got pedicle screws no hooks. However mine doesn't protude like that.. it's just a hard 'ball' located to the right of the incision that hurts to the touch. My husband felt it when he was putting lotion on my back for me. I'm also getting sharp pains a little lower than where the ball is located that had me in tears earlier, and has been doing it all night intermittently. I'm currently going on 3 months post-op, and I'm curious as to why this would be happening, and now I don't know if my doctor is going to be in tomorrow due to the fact that it's a holiday. I'm scared as to what this is. Anyone out there have a problem with your pedicle screws please chime in. Thanks!
      25 yr old female =^_^=
      Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

are you still taking or have you still got some pain meds to get you through a bit? what i mean is can you manage the pain until your doctor gets back (providing this isn't too long) as it is obviously preferable to continue to see the doctor who has dealt with you and performed surgery all along
        diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
        braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
        fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
        Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
        scoliosis support forum

Comment

Originally posted by marmyte
          are you still taking or have you still got some pain meds to get you through a bit? what i mean is can you manage the pain until your doctor gets back (providing this isn't too long) as it is obviously preferable to continue to see the doctor who has dealt with you and performed surgery all along

Nope, I've been off of the pain meds for a while. My doctor has me taking Ibuprofin, which isn't helping right now. I don't want to be on any more narcotics. I've been on those for 3 years straight for the pain I was having. Plus it doesn't help that I'm stuck at work until 6am sitting behind a desk.
          25 yr old female =^_^=
          Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

I had a very similar bump and experience with pain at 3 months post op. Was so scared about the sharp pain, that I ended up going to the ER while at work. It turned out to be a screw that, due to the curve of the top of my spine, is very close to the surface of my skin. I still get some pain from time to time in the same area, but was told at the time of onset that I should just put some ice on it and relax the muscles.

I'm in no way diagnosing that what you have and what I had are the same, but have experienced something very similar (except, I didn't have any popping in my back) just thought that I'd let you know about it. I would definitely call your doctor so that he or she can make the decision to see you right away or wait until your next visit to see what the x-rays show (which is what I did). My doctor did mention that he hates to have to remove hardware but if the pain persists and is really interfering with my everyday life (which it isn't at this point), then we could look at removing that particular screw after the fusion has taken hold.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Comment

Hi, Me too i had a similar bump located at the same spot as you but to the lift at three months post-op also, but i had no pain except when i lie on a hard floor or hard chair, it's not very noticable but i can feel it when i touch it, anyway my doctor said it's just one of the screws and there's nothing serious to worry about i hope your doctor say the same.good luck.
              22 years old female, Surgery date: 30 March 2005
              Posterior Fusion with MOSS Miami System: T10-L3
              Lumbar curve: pre-op 50 degrees, post-op 12 degrees

Comment

Well, after calling my doctors office only to find out he wasn't there I trecked off to the ER with my 2yr old daughter in tow. (daycare was clsd due to holiday) The doctor I saw first tried telling me it was the bumpy part of my spine that was sticking out (those were shaved down during surgery and used to fill the spaces where the discs were removed) After explaining to her what I had done, she ordered x-rays. She didn't see anything right off that would be causing it. However, she also told me she hadn't ever dealt with a patient with so much hardware in their back (military doctors-sheesh!) I was given the orders to ice my back every 20 minutes, and was prescribed valium for the 'muscle spasms' she stated that could be causing this, motrin 800 for the everyday pain, and vicodin 5/500 for the extreme pain the spasms leave me in. I also called the clinic and have an appointment scheduled with my surgeon on the 24th of October. Also, on the x-rays that were taken, I've noticed that the screw on the top right side, where the bump is on my back looks different than that of my previous x-rays with dr. starr. I'll be sure to talk to him about this when I see him. I just hope that nothing goes wrong at the airport tomorrow. My daughter and I are flying out, and TSA up here in DC is crazy paranoid (don't blame them though) Well HG, I should've listened to you! Thank you guys for all the support! I'll post an update after I see my surgeon.

v/r,

Shelley
                25 yr old female =^_^=
                Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Working...
                X